.404 chain, 0.050 gauge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.404 .050 chain

Does anyone have a link to a site that sells .404 chain in .050 gauge? I need a 24 inch or something that can be cut down to 24 inch.

That, or how hard is it to convert the sprocket from .404 to 3/8? The saw is a McCulloch 250 from 1965.

Thanx!

I have about 60 feet of #50 Oregon chain, .050 - .404 left. How many links do you need?
chainsaw lady

bought a garage sale Mac 250 with 16 inch bar, .050 chain, but appears to be .063 bar.
Replaced the drum and spur with new one from chainsawr.com. The drum had too small bearing ID, but easily replaced with a bronze oilite bearing. Duh, hadn't checked, then I realized the chain and bar didn't match.
It is only a vintage toy, but does anyone know which drum would fit and convert to a rim drive? I'd go to 3/8 chain.

kcj

The drums are all the same from the very early direct drive saws (D-30/36, D-44 etc.) all the way up to the SP125 but the shaft diameter changes (1/2" & 9/16"?) so you may have to swap your bushing again depending on what you find.

Most of the spline type drums you will find on e-bay are advertised for the 550 and SP125 which have the smaller shaft. Otherwise the dimensions are all the same.

Mark

.404 .50 gauge is obsolete you have to call around to saw shops that have been around for 40 years to see if they have any hiding under a table or bench, I found a source in Haden ID but it is a small saw shop in a guys garage, I can PM you his # if you want, he has a full roll.
@homelitejim Is there any way I can get the Hayden, Idaho guys' number...? I need that size and live near Hayden. Thank you!

Does anyone have a link to a site that sells .404 chain in .050 gauge? I need a 24 inch or something that can be cut down to 24 inch.

That, or how hard is it to convert the sprocket from .404 to 3/8? The saw is a McCulloch 250 from 1965.

Thanx!
I have 60 feet of #50 Oregon .050 - .404 chain if Mark and the others run out.
chainsawlady

I have 60 feet of #50 Oregon .050 - .404 chain if Mark and the others run out.
chainsawlady
that would be wonderful. is there any way you could email me? I need to actually talk to someone on the telephone. I will give my number but I don't want to online in front of everyone. I am looking for this size for my uncle who doesn't have Internet. my email is [email protected] and if you email me I can give you his number.

Back