40cc Shoot Out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not seen any yet for the small RedMax saws - they have a step cut into the spur to engage the oil pump drive, so they are somewhat different. I certainly could have missed it though.

I sure there is a way to work around the worm drive for the oiler. The worm drive on the next model up is probably the same part with a different drive patern for the rim.

Heavier load in the first cut only slows it up .4 seconds.....

[video=youtube;hd51WmvdrVQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd51WmvdrVQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Wow, even with the safety chain that thing moves pretty good. I have a couple fresh loops waiting for it back at it's northern home. :msp_thumbup:

It's a GZ4000
Cool:msp_thumbup: Thanks for sharing. Is that the same 40cc strato zenoah as in the GZ400? I have the 400 clone Ryobi with the kamotsu-zenoah and it has been a runner with only a MM.......but not in the league you just showed. I have only had the stones to grind a cheap Poulan/craftsman or weedeaters, maybe it is time to step up.

As always, enjoyed the show.

Chris

I think this is the drum you need

$(KGrHqJHJDUE63ZS!6ZbBPqjGD7yog~~60_12.JPG

I sure have. When I first started porting at saws I ground the piss out of a bunch of Wildthangs. That helped me understand what helped and what hurt without ruining expensive saws.

Your thoughts and mine are the same on this. I do wonder how .325 7 pin would be though.

I'd stick with the 3/8 LP... .325 would work against that little fella wearing a 16 or 18" bar...
With the advent of the new PS3 from stihl, no reason to have to go .325 for good cutters anymore...

I'd stick with the 3/8 LP... .325 would work against that little fella wearing a 16 or 18" bar...
With the advent of the new PS3 from stihl, no reason to have to go .325 for good cutters anymore...

The PS3 is chisel lp right? Do all stihl dealers carry that?:msp_confused:

Yeah........I'm sure you are right. :msp_thumbup:

Exactly why I grabbed the GZ4000 and not the 4500. Slightly larger spacing between teeth than .325 for a couple less cutters to sharpen and to dig in to slow it more.

The PS3 is chisel lp right? Do all stihl dealers carry that?:msp_confused:

No... They're stuck in their semi-chisel ways mostly...
But they're happy to order you an expensive loop of it...
:amazed:

But run a loop of it side by side with a loop of semi, and you'll look more like this...
:big_smile:

What about Stihl MS200, 020, MS200T etc - I have one of each of
these - they are absolutely splendid for what they are intended for
(i.e., trimmin logs with 12 inch bar and 3/8 lp chain sort of ... .)

PS. I have two 0.325 conversion kits but have decided not to use
them "until further notice" ... . I could sell one cheaply ... . Already
with a 12 inch bar and 3/8 lp these saws must be givin a fair chance
to rev correctly ... :) .

Last edited:
6 X 0.365 = 2.190

7 X 0.325 = 2.275

That's less than a 4% increase in chain speed. I guess you could use a 0.325 chain that takes a bigger bite, otherwise it's not worth the expense to me - the sprockets for those are pricey.

What about Stihl MS200, 020, MS200T etc - I have one of each of
these - they are absolutely splendid for what they are intended for
(i.e., trimmin logs with 12 inch bar and 3/8 lp chain sort of ... .)

The rear handled 200 is a great saw that I'm comfortable using.......the top handle is a saw I only use when marking logs for bucking into firewood and lopping a few limbs.

Jon though loves the top handle.

For the money.........this RedMax is tits.

6 X 0.365 = 2.190

7 X 0.325 = 2.275

That's less than a 4% increase in chain speed. I guess you could use a 0.325 chain that takes a bigger bite, otherwise it's not worth the expense to me - the sprockets for those are pricey.

There's even more to it than that... Tooth geometry and chip clearing ability is important...
Though I've never compared good lo pro to good 325 side by side on the same saw...
I guess I aught to shut up till I do...
Got an ole' wood boss in .325 I could run a little test with I guess...
:msp_confused:

There's even more to it than that... Tooth geometry and chip clearing ability is important...
Though I've never compared good lo pro to good 325 side by side on the same saw...
I guess I aught to shut up till I do...
Got an ole' wood boss in .325 I could run a little test with I guess...
:msp_confused:

I'm as interested in chain right now as I was in port work a few years ago. Let me know of any testing you do.......I'm all ears.

big-ears-on-monkey.jpg

Back