40cc Shoot Out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what is the final verdict? Redmax first place followed by Stihl an Dolmar? How do you see it?

was there a 241 vid posted allready ? ported ?

That video is on the hard drive of my crashed computer. :msp_unsure:

So what is the final verdict? Redmax first place followed by Stihl an Dolmar? How do you see it?

I do see it that way. You are correct on the thin washer too.

Should have been a bumperless one in the box too!

Crap...........that's where that "extra" chain came from I sent to NY. :msp_ohmy:

Crap...........that's where that "extra" chain came from I sent to NY. :msp_ohmy:

Aint no big thing, feel free grind the safety chain in any way you see fit. It's still not going to make the Dolmar faster than Maxi. ;)

It was a super close race. Fit and finish wise, the dolly just feels better, but Maxi must have an edge engine wise.

Aint no big thing, feel free grind the safety chain in any way you see fit. It's still not going to make the Dolmar faster than Maxi. ;)

It was a super close race. Fit and finish wise, the dolly just feels better, but Maxi must have an edge engine wise.

It does. It's a well made Japanese engine. It has a domed piston and hemispherical combustion chamber, bottom fed quad transfers, it also has a 10mm spark plug that allows better plug placement. The strato ports give it a larger intake flow when added together as well.

I ain't telling what I did to it either........

Okay we know which ones fastest but which one is going to stay together the longest and do the most work with the least issues?

Okay we know which ones fastest but which one is going to stay together the longest and do the most work with the least issues?

The one that's taken care of and cared for the best...
Aka, the Dolmar... Cause its the most like able...

The PS-420 is discontinued and replaced with the PS-421. New model has 2.2kW vs 2.0kW along with new cylinder, coil, new carb (Zama with full adjustments), new air filter, and the flat black hoods. New cylinder uses the CMR7A-5 10mm spark plug.

I know someone that wants a PS-421 ported.

Last edited:
The PS-420 is discontinued and replaced with the PS-421. New model has 2.2kW vs 2.0kW along with new cylinder, coil, new carb (Zama with full adjustments), new air filter, and the flat black hoods. New cylinder uses the CMR7A-5 10mm spark plug.

I know someone that wants a PS-421 ported.

Yep, that would be me ....

If the 421 is included that would be interesting. But for average Joe the 420 seems to be king, after modding the red max.

The little RedMax saws are well though of by those who own them - and mine is not even a real RedMax but a Jenn Feng-McCulloch clone. They have been around a while and don't have a reputation for for being unreliable. The weakest part I've found is the rear rubber engine mount (it is a spring/rubber combination system), and I suspect they get damaged if you go gorilla on it when it gets pinched. There is a lot of plastic on the saw, but with a two piece mag case inside. It is a very well engineered saw, clearly designed by some folks who knew what they were doing and were not afraid to innovate - and they got it right. As a design engineer this is what appeals to me about the RedMax saws.

I've found it a joy to use, it is light and well balanced. The fuel tank is small but it runs a long time anyway. Mine will never run like Randy's, but with a muffler mod it is no slouch.

That one looks faster than the one Brad ported.

:monkey: I smell an agenda.:cheers:

This thread should be on page 37 by the time I get back from UT Hospital. My mother-in-law called early this morning and told Kari that Walt had had two seizures- the second one lasted over 3 minutes. Before Kari could get there he had had a third. Paramedics were there loading him up. Kari wants me to bring the kids up there in case he continues to deteriorate.

Last edited:
Back