40cc Shoot Out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the videos.

Did you consider any ECHO's in your line up? I really like the way my CS 400 balances in my hands, and pretty happy how it performs (only 2 tanks). Not sure how it compares with your line up in use, or after mods.

Curious about the MS241, but it looks like it is almost the same weight as the MS261, with only 80% of the power.

(BTW - your videos climbing around all those branches are a great ad for chaps and chain brakes - Be Careful Out There!)

Philbert

Randy have you fingered a 421 yet? I just got one and I'm very impressed.

No but I would like to.

Thanks for the videos.

Did you consider any ECHO's in your line up? I really like the way my CS 400 balances in my hands, and pretty happy how it performs (only 2 tanks). Not sure how it compares with your line up in use, or after mods.

Curious about the MS241, but it looks like it is almost the same weight as the MS261, with only 80% of the power.

(BTW - your videos climbing around all those branches are a great ad for chaps and chain brakes - Be Careful Out There!)

Philbert

Here I'm at the mercy of those that sent saws........I would love to see an Echo in this lineup.

I ain't wearing chaps.....sorry.

How's the 241 compare to the 420? The 241 sounds snappier and higher revving.

They are about even in use. I've not timed anything.

I'll be doing more as time allows. Weights, timed cuts, etc.

Myself and Mike ran his 420 and my brand new 421. We didn't make any timed cuts, we were just playing around. Nevertheless we both felt the 421 was in fact a little stronger.

The 421 is a little heavy, but I feel it can be used in place of a 50cc saw for the most part.

The players.....

Redmax GZ4000
Dolmar 420
Stihl MS241C

As delivered videos are uploading. We used these saws to limb and buck all the small stuff in a huge old oak yesterday.....several tanks were put through each saw.

We also ran a MS211 alongside these saws.......at this time my gut feelings and Jon's are the same. Our favorite saw in this lineup might surprise you.

Port work will be done on all four after the Central VA GTG......

Thanks for the vids. So which one was your favorite?

will a 28 inch bar fit that 241 ,seems like would save on the bending over some :msp_wink:

Great comparison so far! Nice tree you found there for a little "warm up program". Do be carful about your legs!
The problem with the 543XP is is that it is not a AT saw. That sure is a shame because that would be the only contender against the Stihl 241 MT.

A few questions:

1. Is the 420 the catalytic muffler model?

2. If it is the catalytic model could you remove the cat? It is really easy, just take off the muffler and pull both halves of the muffler apart and remove the cat insert.

3. So is that correct that it is still the old 420 model?

4. Could you put all saws on the scale? with and without fuel. with and with out cat. (this is very important for that norweign number cruncher.... ;) )

looking forward to this thread! Hope it evolves as great as it began! But maybe we can still say something like pie in this thread.... :D

Thanks! :msp_thumbsup:

Tree monkey just finished monkeying with Sarah's 420, haven't got it back yet. Really look forward to using it. We will have it with this weekend down at hedgerows GTG. Will try to get a video of it and post it here.

Tree monkey just finished monkeying with Sarah's 420, haven't got it back yet. Really look forward to using it. We will have it with this weekend down at hedgerows GTG. Will try to get a video of it and post it here.

She can run it against Levi's "Levizedified" 023...
:after_boom:

It's awful....

The Dolmar has got a nice crisp note to the idle.
In the Redmax vid it sounds like the mic is blocked part of the time
but just seems like you can hear more intake noise from it, (Sounds like a stuffed up headcold)
so wondering what a MM alone, would do for it.
The Stihl seemed to also have a good pop in the idle note and interestingly
seemed like intake and exhaust noise was closer to even.

Bear in mind the cameras mic greatly influences the apparent noise balances
and any clothing or hand position or hard surfaces (table top, boxes, walls etc..)
around the camera will affect it too.

Are these saws running 3/8 lowpro or .325? :confused:

Powerhead weights around 10.5#?:taped:

From the looks of it the Dolmar and Stihl appeared pretty similar with the Redmax a distant 3rd. I'm thinking my MM Makita DCS401 would eat their lunch:buttkick:, but it has been MMed(happiest 13.5-13.8K), BUT it weighs considerably less.:rock: I JUST pulled a NIB specimen and weighed it. On my scale, dry, it weighs 8#14oz, powerhead only.:clap:

If I had to run a 10.5# powerhead saw, I would be running a MMed 026. If you have the weight of the 50cc saw, you might as well have the displacement and power.:chainsaw:

I would love to see how a Homelite super ez stackes up against these saws, I have yet to run a 40cc saw as strong as a sez.

I would love to see how a Homelite super ez stackes up against these saws, I have yet to run a 40cc saw as strong as a sez.

We ain't done playing yet Jim. I've got a few EZs but none are bone stock. When we start doing timed cuts the EZ will be in on it.

If I had to run a 10.5# powerhead saw, I would be running a MMed 026. If you have the weight of the 50cc saw, you might as well have the displacement and power.:chainsaw:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm happy with my $47 garage queen 026 I scored last winter. But I'm just a firewood hack.

From the looks of it the Dolmar and Stihl appeared pretty similar with the Redmax a distant 3rd. I'm thinking my MM Makita DCS401 would eat their lunch:buttkick:, but it has been MMed(happiest 13.5-13.8K), BUT it weighs considerably less.:rock: I JUST pulled a NIB specimen and weighed it. On my scale, dry, it weighs 8#14oz, powerhead only.:clap:

Sorry I missed this post.

They are all wearing low pro.......but good low pro.

Back