440 Aftermarket Cylinder ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jed1124

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just picked up an ms440 with an aftermarket cylinder. It runs exceptionally well. Can anyone help me ID the cylinder it has? There is no place for a decompression valve on it.C6620801-FBB7-44A8-8438-F97495DCB7AF.jpegEE22921D-A76D-4EB9-8158-108E0D5FD7A4.jpegD805F60C-147A-43E9-8026-D2E719D698CC.jpeg3F626E17-47C2-47A7-9C11-8280B9F8D8B5.jpeg

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

It’s hard to tell because most of them aren’t branded. And even if they were, they still come from multiple different manufacturers even with the same name on them. The only ones I’ve seen that were consistently named were Tecomec, Meteor, and Hiway
Thank you for the reply. Are there any specific places to look for markings? The only thing I can find is 1128 in the top left corner above the plug.
Is it common for them to come without a decomp hole?

What’s weird about this thing is the friend I got it through (he got it from another guy) has a 462. After he ran it he said it would walk all over his 462, and that doesn’t make any sense. Pulls just as hard if not harder than the 460 I had some years back, which also doesn’t make any sense.

I havn`t seen a slant fin AM jug for the 044/MS 440 saws but all the identifing names or symbols are found on the outer edge of the cylinder base, mostly quite difficult to see them when mounted to the crankcase.
What does a slant fin jug indicate, 10mm? Did oem cylinders ever come from the factory without a decomp? The lack of one made me instantly assume aftermarket.

The saw is wearing all new oem ms440 plastics, clutch cover, and recoil.

F1FFE0DC-92F8-4CDA-B61E-26412B6EAD73.jpeg07B55865-C8D3-432F-A6D9-016CB916792B.jpeg

It was to pretty to pass up, aftermarket cylinder or not.

The early 044`s were 10 mm wrist pin saws with the slant fin cylinders, some of the very early 12 mm saws also had the slant fin jugs as Stihl used up whatever inventory they had in stock but the 12 mm saws were destined to have the cross fin cylinders. I have never seen a angled fin jug with a decomp and early cross fin cylinders also had no decomp. I noticed that when the designation changed from 044 to MS440 that then the cylinders had decomps.

The early 044`s were 10 mm wrist pin saws with the slant fin cylinders, some of the very early 12 mm saws also had the slant fin jugs as Stihl used up whatever inventory they had in stock but the 12 mm saws were destined to have the cross fin cylinders. I have never seen a angled fin jug with a decomp and early cross fin cylinders also had no decomp. I noticed that when the designation changed from 044 to MS440 that then the cylinders had decomps.
Thank you. I’ll have to do more looking into this saw. It runs to good to be aftermarket. I’m hoping that is the case but wrote the top end off when it had no decomp.

The guy who had it had a “friend” in the Stihl factory, ergo the new plastics and other niceties.
Maybe he came across an oem cylinder from back in the day as well.
I can only hope.
I would say that is an OEM cylinder, they are the hot tomale of the 044 era, I have 3 NOS ones sitting on the desk in front of me, they are all Mahle versions. I think the oldest one has a W2 with just one + mark on the clutch side transfer bulge, the next one has W1 with two + marks on the transfer, the third one has a W3 with five + marks on the transfer bulge. The combustion chambers are very small cc wise making very good compression numbers, the ports are timed very well also.

Thank you for the reply. Are there any specific places to look for markings? The only thing I can find is 1128 in the top left corner above the plug.
Is it common for them to come without a decomp hole?

What’s weird about this thing is the friend I got it through (he got it from another guy) has a 462. After he ran it he said it would walk all over his 462, and that doesn’t make any sense. Pulls just as hard if not harder than the 460 I had some years back, which also doesn’t make any sense.
It’s a slant fin copy, so it wouldn’t have a decomp. Decomps are in some of the 440 straight fin cylinders.

Most aftermarket cylinders that I’ve seen have no markings at all at them.

I suppose anything is possible. But there’s no real way of knowing if they weren’t using timed cuts with the same chain

The coloring is correct for yours to be an OEM cylinder. On the right hand side on the transfer bulge should be some info. But I’m not certain if you can see it without removing the cylinder or not
On most of the slant fin cylinders, left hand front cylinder fin will have 1128 on it. Move back inboard to the space between the first upright fins and look carefully down between the fins, should be able to just make out, Stihl ,with its registered trade mark, there also can be a capital /S/ down there. It has been on every OEM slant fin cylinder I have handled, it may be very faint but should be there.

The coloring is correct for yours to be an OEM cylinder. On the right hand side on the transfer bulge should be some info. But I’m not certain if you can see it without removing the cylinder or not

On most of the slant fin cylinders, left hand front cylinder fin will have 1128 on it. Move back inboard to the space between the first upright fins and look carefully down between the fins, should be able to just make out, Stihl ,with its registered trade mark, there also can be a capital /S/ down there. It has been on every OEM slant fin cylinder I have handled, it may be very faint but should be there.
Thanks guys. The right side transfer bulge is covered by the top of the case just above the clutch drum. There are no markings on the left side bulge.
The 1128 is clear on the top left corner but I don’t see anything else through the top slant fins.
Pictures of the 1128 on the cylinder and through the exhaust port.
I appreciate your guys help. I’m really happy with what I have, just trying to pin down exactly what it is.2155E0C5-5ED6-4E36-97BC-4A831A11B085.jpeg88D7E83F-1D06-4FBE-95DF-084A6FD654F4.jpeg

Yeah that’s certainly more clear. I appreciate the input.
Thank you!
I was in a hurry when I took that pic , did not notice the bits of dust until I posted the pic on here . One cannot see the other markings I posted about without pulling the cylinder off the case, no need now as you say it runs with plenty of power. My curosity is still peaked though to if an AM company actually copied the angle fin cylinder. It would be great for those looking to give their 044 and MS 440`s a power boost right out of a box. The piston does look like one of the very early black coated pistons that some of the AM manufacturers were selling back around 2007.

I have a 044 12mm slant fin and my brother just snagged a one owner 044 with riveted tag. I should do a search but being lazy and this being a recent post. I will ask if any of you knowledgeable ones know by serial # when Stihl converted to the 12mm wrist pin? By the video he sent, it is running to good to tear down just to verify what it is.
He was hemhawin around looking for a milling saw when this one jumped in front of him... I told him it was to nice of a saw for milling .... and would trade him a nice 056 Magnum II.
I THINK I gave my Brother CAD.

Latest posts

Back