440 chain rollin while idling....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamcbrayer

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have never worked on a chainsaw, just yet. What's the issue with my saw...the chain is rolling while the saw is idling. Obviously not a safe situation with a 32" bar, or any bar for that matter. Please tell me how to fix! Thanks in advance.

If the saw dies when you put on the chain brake, probably a bad spring or worn clutch pad. Pull the side cover and sprocket and look at the clutch and springs.

I will second the clutch drum and bearing... I believe I am not the only one here who has spent a lot of time tring to chase a spinning chain at idle, only to realize that the needle bearing is shot and the chain just keeps on spinning...

These are all easy things to look at. The clutch should definately be looked at though... But I would start with the bearing. Especially if you pull off the clutch drum and all the needles fall out, (happened once or twice).

Good luck,

Jason

Edit: I just saw that it stalls with the chainbrake. Now it does sound like springs...

Last edited:
If one spring is bad change them all. Think Lakeside had posted some pictures of a 044 that someone tried to only change one spring and it ended up tearing up the saw. Same goes for the shoe holes, if one is worn toss the whole thing and get a new one. Change the sprocket bearing and possibly clutch drum while you are in there.

Back