441 or 460.... ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Relax Sam, I have a 441 and like it.:clap::clap: I also have an 044 and like it too. I definitely agree with you about the fuel thing, I had to check my fuel a couple times the first tank 'cause i couldn't believe i hadn't run out yet!

Not being a "pro" I won't try to tell you which of the two is best if you're using it professionally, but for home/farm/firewood whatever, I would say go 441 and you'll never regret it. You will always be curious though, until you have one of each.....

Last edited:
Relax Sam, I have a 441 and like it.:clap::clap: I also have an 044 and like it too. I definitely agree with you about the fuel thing, I had to check my fuel a couple times the first tank 'cause i couldn't believe i hadn't run out yet!

Not being a "pro" I won't try to tell you which of the two is best if you're using it professionally, but for home/farm/firewood whatever, I would say go 441 and you'll never regret it. You will always be curious though, until you have one of each.....

Sorry Artie__BC , not very much of that was pointed at you, LOL. Just make the same point for the 50th time to the other.

Sam

No problem, Sam. I too can't figure out why on some things people refuse to let the facts influence their judgment. And why we have to go through the same things again and again.

Possibly its the "Never let facts get in the way of a good story" syndrome or something, LOL.

Its either they have never run one and they are just talking out of their butts, or they are too macho for steel springs, LOL, or they "like or enjoy" cleaning air filters??? I don't know.

But there is something weird about it.

As I have said several times before, its not that the 460 is not a great saw, but it won't beat the 441 in production cutting ..... it can't, its impossible.

The 460 is not more reliable, it does not have a better filtration system, its not more efficient and its not faster by enough in the cut to matter (if it is in the first place).

So unless you are a professional cutter of cookies, then the 460 is not going to beat the 441.

Doesn't make it a bad saw, it just is what it is, a 460, a legend. I'm not interested in legends, I'm intested in cutting trees quickly and with the least amount of effort. If I wanted it to be harder I would get an ax or cross cut saw, LOL.

Sam

Slamm said:
I'm intested in cutting trees quickly and with the least amount of effort. If I wanted it to be harder I would get an ax or cross cut saw, LOL.

Sometimes somebody just says things right, and it's so right it can hang there all by itself.

Interesting perspectives. Especially since I'm getting back into the market for this Stihl saw size.

Will a woods ported and muff modded 441 drink as much fuel as a stock 046/460?

Last edited:
I couldn't say, as I have mostly been around modded 460's with the modded 441. If they are both modded the 441 wins hands down in fuel efficiency.

My experience with the 460 was that it didn't get much better mileage than a stock 660 (Better, yes, but not by much). The 441 will run a long time on a tank of gas, very compariable to the difference of the 361's gas mileage if you are not accustom to it. The thing just runs and runs, and you pull the cap and check and there is still half a tank and you cut more and hope the thing will finally run out of gas. The 441 isn't quite that fuel effecient, but then it is cutting quite a bit faster than a stock or modded 361 during that tank full.

I would be guessing if I thought that the modded 441 would get better mileage than any version of a 460, but my experience with the 460 is that of a powerful saw, but I think it gets horrible gas mileage, anyways, my guess is you will cut more wood or more trees with a modded 441 than you will with a stock 460 in a shorter amount of time no less.

Think of it as Wood Per Gallon, the WPG of the stock or modded 441 will be higher than that of the stock or modded 460, that I'm confident in.

Sam

by no means am i trying to stir a pot, but i will go ahead and revive this old thread, for one reason.

how do the newer 441 "C" saws run against the 460's?

by no means am i trying to stir a pot, but i will go ahead and revive this old thread, for one reason.

how do the newer 441 "C" saws run against the 460's?

In stock form i would like to see that.:msp_smile:

These two saws will suit two different people

441Cs are ideal for people that use saws for a living,or firewood cutters after a almost no maintenance saw that are not confer dent with tuning.

460s they have been around for ever and are great performs,pro's use um,wood cutters use um and we all know there good and bad points compared to the new technology saws.

I now which one i prefer and are and are going to get more of as they come out.:D

If ya wont a new 460 ya better get on with it before its to late.

Slamm said it, the biggest draw back of the 441 is it will not run out of gas:censored: I have found myself hoping the chain will dull so I can take a break:hmm3grin2orange:

Can't believe their are still 441 naysayers. I guess you can't teach old dogs new tricks . Smart phones are voodoo magic to some, too.

"you can't teach old dogs new tricks"

LOL, Well, I guess, there is a reason that phrase was coined. I have found it rather unbelieviable how many or most can't get efficient of a tool the 441 is good in stock form, better in modded form, than most any other saw. Its in the middle on weight and price for 70-80cc saws, its at the top in AV and is the top in fuel consumption and its within a couple to few seconds of any other model in most cookie cuts. Its at the top in durability. The Mtronic version is simply a joy to run, starts easier than 50cc saw. There are other saws that can beat it in a couple of departments, but not all of them.

I still believe it is one of the most hated saws on Arboristsite, it conjures up a plethura of problems like its too heavy, too wide, can't feel the bar, flippy caps, "has a damm strato engine", control lever is wierd, not enough power and other issues, that I think at times must take quite an imagination or a horribly picky operator to dream up.

To the credit of the Mtronic package I am somewhat releaved that those that have that new technology on the tried and true chasis of the 441 have all appeared to not just like the saw, but love the saw, so it appears that, at least some are starting to see the light.

Sam

Two years after starting this thread, Jason did the most logical thing, and he bought both
a 460, and a 441.

Back