441 or 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get the 441, I'm a die hard 440/460 guy but that 441 is sweet. A 460 will cut with a 441 but no stock 440 or 372 is going to. The 441's weight is blown out of proportion, it feels like a 70cc saw should.

I would think a 441 might cut with a 460, but a 460 should have no prob cutting with a 441.

I would think a 441 might cut with a 460, but a 460 should have no prob cutting with a 441.

I'm giving those who have not run both the idea of how they preform. 20" and less they are neck and neck. I have not run a 441 with a 32" to see how it does with the longer bar. My next big saw will be a 441.:D

441 feels like a Mazda rotary compared to a thumping V8.

Get with the grunt or get a skirt! :chainsaw:

I think they are called kilts!!

Happen to have an 80+ cc class saw and a 441.

For cutting firewood, I'll take the 441, hands down every day of the week.

As mentioned:
Great anti vibe.
Great filtration.
Great fuel economy.
Great looking (yeah, yeah, but I still like her;))

The 441 will pull a full comp 32 incher just fine. Just give her room and let it cut.

Here's a 32" bar all mounted up and purty.

attachment.php

WARNING > SOUP EATING SHEILA ABOVE. :chainsaw:

How am I a sheila or a soup eater? I disliked the new design as much as anyone until I ran one. Have you? I run a saw all day and if it cuts the same doesn't give me a headache, uses a half gallon less of fuel, which adds to the bottom line and doesn't put me into early retirement from hamburger wrists, How is that a bad thing. It's not like I just decided one day I wanted a 70cc saw and picked out the 441, I ran 044's for years. My grandfather who logging in WV before they had chainsaws was impressed with it and wished he had ran saws like that, it may have save the wear and tear on his body.

How am I a sheila or a soup eater? I disliked the new design as much as anyone until I ran one. Have you? I run a saw all day and if it cuts the same doesn't give me a headache, uses a half gallon less of fuel, which adds to the bottom line and doesn't put me into early retirement from hamburger wrists, How is that a bad thing. It's not like I just decided one day I wanted a 70cc saw and picked out the 441, I ran 044's for years. My grandfather who logging in WV before they had chainsaws was impressed with it and wished he had ran saws like that, it may have save the wear and tear on his body.

I am with ya on this one.

Soup does sound good for lunch though. :cheers:

Kilt wearers unite!
:kilt::kilt::kilt::kilt::kilt::kilt::kilt:

You'll like either saw once you have it and use it, I predict. Years worth of 460 owners love theirs. I went with the 441 and have been completely glad I did. The 460 was, I think, maybe $50 more, new around here. The gas economy [which I care about] and the antivibe are great in 441 as others have said. It is true. I don't run a saw all day long, only a few hours, but I can tell the definite difference in my body, better with the 441. I only run a 25" bar on mine, it's what I need. Have never run a 32" on it so can't compare. You will, though like I said, probably like either saw. I couldn't care less about modding, I run everything stock, so I also can't say whether the 441 will benefit from that.... I am also not averse to new tech', and Stihl has done a great job on the 441.

Last edited:
I really like my 441. A good all around saw that gets the work done. I like the fact that Stihl improves upon their products and the 441 shows this. For a 70cc saw that is dependable you really can not go wrong with the power it makes. I ran it a couple of days ago and cut some pine that was around 2' in diameter and it just fell through it like butter. When it comes to hardwood though I usually just pick up a sp125 for anything bigger than 2' as it is just a more efficient saw for those bigger logs that are tougher than nails. The 441 can cut the same 25" log, but that is its limit. As for the 460 I have not run one so I can not really commit on it, but I am sure it is a good old tech saw.

With a 20 or 24 inch bar you could just about glue the 460 and 441 together.The only way I could tell a difference in the two was when I ran both with a 32 inch bar,then the 460 has the edge but not by much..I like the 441,I've had two of them since their introduction and I can't find anything to complain about,but I prefer the 460 for now just because I've been running them since they came out and have several of them for parts saws.
I haven't tried to do any mods on a 441 but have found that the 460 responds well to a muffler mod and a minor port clean out,after that there is no doubt the 460 is the winner,it almost holds its own with a 660.
Once the 460 is gone for good I will probably switch to the 441.

you can eat a bowl of soup at lunch without wearing it and I fuel it maybe twice a day.

You fuel a saw twice a day yet "run it" all day. :laugh:

The comment about soup came from you, the sheila part is the Aussie slang way of saying "you're a girl, harden up!". :chainsaw:

I just got the 440, dad talked me in to ,he has logged and sawmilled his whole life ,he will be 80 soon , that 440 or 441 is all you will need .

Latest posts

Back