.45 mm chainsaw use .48 stone??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philbert, Would you recommend the 5/32 as a permanent solution for my chains that call for 11/64?

Again, I tried the 4.5 mm file, and was very impressed with the way that the Type 90 chain cut on my pole saw: pretty aggressive and stayed sharp for a long time. If that size is not available, or if you are satisfied with the way that the chain cuts with the other file, stick with that.

Sharpening can be a very personal thing. Some people notice a small difference, others do not. Start with the manufacturers recommendations and then find what works for you.

I just ran 4.5 mm through an online converter and it came up with 3/16"

You need a better converter!!!

Philbert

Here are some decimal equivalents for comparing fractions and mm commonly used in sharpening chains:
Screen shot 2017-10-17 at 10.18.11 PM.png

I usually count file sizes by 32nd's (5/32; 3/16=6/32; 7/32). Then Oregon has to mess things up with that 4.5 mm thing, and STIHL wants 13/64 on some chains!

The differences may seem small. For some guys, just having sharp edges makes a bit difference! Only by trying them, and experimenting a little, can you really see if different file sizes or sharpening angles make a performance difference for you. Hard to know, also, how close the 'nominal' file diameter measures to the actual size.

Philbert

Here are some decimal equivalents for comparing fractions and mm commonly used in sharpening chains:
View attachment 607630

I usually count file sizes by 32nd's (5/32; 3/16=6/32; 7/32). Then Oregon has to mess things up with that 4.5 mm thing, and STIHL wants 13/64 on some chains!

The differences may seem small. For some guys, just having sharp edges makes a bit difference! Only by trying them, and experimenting a little, can you really see if different file sizes or sharpening angles make a performance difference for you. Hard to know, also, how close the 'nominal' file diameter measures to the actual size.

Philbert
Thanks so much for your taking the time to reply so thoroughly. Now back to hurricane cleanup!

Latest posts

Back