455 Rancher, oil leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StilLrnin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Stopped by a local dealer & after a short demo, purchased with the agreement that I could return it within 15 days if I wasn't happy.

( I'm a non-pro, couple hours a year, except for when a big oak goes down, kind of guy... I'm also used to my old, heavy (bought approx. 1972!) 65L, so while I looked at the 350, it just didn't feel right. So I thought I'd try the Rancher.) (By the way, my 65L has only been in the shop once in 30 yrs!)
Anyhow... I returned it the next morning & got my money back. I'm sure it's just something simple, but it was puking bar oil all over the ground at my feet any time the chain was moving!
A) I was kinda upset that the dealer didn't catch it, B) I didn't really want warranty work within 24 hrs on a new $400 saw...so everything went back.
(I did try pulling the bar off, clean & reinstall, just to make sure there wasn't something holding the bar away from the case.)

I tried a search here but couldn't find a lot of info on how much oil I should expect to be dripping from the underside of a new saw, so I wiped it down & let it sit overnight. The next morning I ran it over a clean sheet paper... after a short idle with the chain not turning, I ran it for about 1 minute at med (or less) speed & it looked like it dripped about a teaspoon of oil or more, from the clutch area. (I'll try to attach a picture)
So back to rethinking what I want to replace my old Husky with.... Other than the oil issue.... I did like the Rancher, easy to start & sounded great. Didn't get a chance to cut anything with it though...
Anyhoo...that was my great local dealer experience!!! They did keep their word & refunded my $466 without a complaint, however now I'm a little gun shy if that's the kind of service I get from local dealers & supposedly one of the best in Northern Calif..... :rolleyes:

oil leak

Non of my saws have every had a leak that bad excpet my first saw which was a poulan wildthing it leaked almost as bad as that. I think you got a defective one or was not assembled correctly.

Im sure it is Ok,because its normal that if you rev the saw you gonna see oil dripping if you are not actually cutting some wood at same time,because there is no wood chips to absorb oil.And i can tell you by experience that on a new saw(no cutting done ),if you see oil dripping from under the clutch area,its Ok,the oil flying from the turning chain fly in the cover and drip there.
Dont forget also,that oil will be dripping from the clutch area also when your saw is stopped for a long period,like few hours and more,because the oil comes out from the oil tank vent(under the inside plate behind the blade)due to pressure created inside by heat.

Leaked only when the chain was running.... and of course what continued to drip after-wards from the throwoff.

And I did think about the fact there was no old sawdust (or at least not much, the shop supposedly did a test cut as their prep) but after wiping it down, letting it sit overnight and wiping with a towel again just before testing...in just ONE MINUTE, that's how much new oil it dumped.

It also was throwing a pretty good oil mist from the chain too...(which was good!)..... but that much oil running out from the bottom of the saw?

I scooped up almost a full teaspoon, just from the main puddle after my test, didn't count the smaller drips and what was still dripping or had soaked into the paper! (And then add in the amount that's normally carried off by the chain too!)

I haven't done the math (& also I also don't know how many minutes a tank of gas should run...) but it sure seems like I'd have to be stopping JUST to check the bar oil, waaay too often at that rate!
(Not to mention the waste of good bar oil being dumped on the ground! Kind of negates all those fancy EPA smog controls on this new Rancher!!!)

Maybe there was supposed to be a spacer or shim between the bar and outer cover that got left out when the bar was installed???

Guess I'll find out when I pick out a different new Husky! :)

HiOctane.... just thought about what you were saying & I see what you mean... the fresh cut chips absorb & carry away the oil & you won't notice.

Could be, although my old Husky runs the oil pump anytime the saw runs, not just when the chain spins, so I would think I would have noticed this over the years when warming it up....

When I get a few minutes, I'll try to figure out how long the tank would last at 1 teaspoon a minute.... I'm still guessing not long enough!

Anyway.... I'm taking this as a sign that I should buy the 359 instead !!!! :)

StilLrnin said:
Anyway.... I'm taking this as a sign that I should buy the 359 instead !!!! :)

I was reading your above post, and thinking, "Man he should go get a 359." I think you'd like that saw more anyway. As far as leakig oil, that does look like alot, but I know that anytime I'm tuning a saw and running it out of wood, when I'm done, I'll have a puddle of oil underneath, and it's enough to make a mess.

Jeff

I wont steer you away from the 359, in fact, I suggest you send it to EHP, and have him port it if you desire more HP down the road.

I have a 359 and it doesn't puke oil like that, sawdust or not. Unless that thing has an adjustable oiler that is cranked wide open, I don't see where that would be normal. My 359 won't do it with the oiler set at max.

How was the oil pump set? 1, 2, or 3 from left.
Did dealer give a reason why?
Was the saw fitted with HVA bar/chain, or another brand?
Did you run the saw a full tank of fuel and looked how much oil it spent?

They still got the husky rancher 55 on the shelves in ohio for $369.

Mange, I checked and the pump was set in the middle detent, which should be #2. Had the "Rancher" husky 20" bar with a 3/8 chain.

The dealer first said "Oh, they all drip oil until you get some sawdust in there"... but when I pulled out a picture, they asked if I wanted it repaired under warranty or my money back. I opted for the money....

I only ran it for a few minutes.... any chance new saws get better with excessive oil use as they break in? (I'm gonna feel pretty dumb if they do!)

I'm guessing that there is a tube somewhere that feeds the pressurized oil to the bar... maybe it was faulty or misaligned.
Or once again, there was nothing between the bar and the "aluminum outer clutch cover" (not sure what it is called), maybe there is supposed to be some sort of washer or shim....

***just ran out and checked my old saw, thats where I've seen the shim before! Do the new Husky's use a shim/washer? (You think the dealer would have glanced at the saw when I brought it back & said "Whoops"...)

I'll post a picture of the shim in my old Husky....(give me a minute & I'll post it...)

Here is a picture of the "shim" I'm talking about....

Since this saw is over 30 years old I have no idea if the new ones still use or need something like this..... But it would explain why it was leaking oil like a sieve, if the dealer's tech miss-placed the shim when he was putting the bar on!!!!

(I'm assuming they are shipped to the dealer minus bar!)

Any ideas if the 455 Rancher should have had this shim???

StilLrnin said:
Here is a picture of the "shim" I'm talking about....

Since this saw is over 30 years old I have no idea if the new ones still use or need something like this..... But it would explain why it was leaking oil like a sieve, if the dealer's tech miss-placed the shim when he was putting the bar on!!!!

(I'm assuming they are shipped to the dealer minus bar!)

Any ideas if the 455 Rancher should have had this shim???

I never seen this saw, as it is not for sale here :dizzy:
Some saws has these plates attached to the saw and cove, just to be sure they are there.
In some models they work as cover for the oil pump. and is not really tight if bar is not tightend enugh or to tight.

I doubt they woud take it back without a fight unless they thought to get refonded for repair and price lost,by HVA, as in warrenty fixed.

Mange, Sorry... guess I wasn't being very clear.

The Rancher 455 was purchased last Tues afternoon and went back the very next morning... (before I posted.) Its gone & I have all my money back & I have to say the dealer was very nice about it!

The pictures are of my old saw....probably been out of production for almost 30 years.

I've heard that this was the saw that Husky started becoming a popular name with, in the USA .... (I wouldn't know, a local dealer showed me this overpriced orange saw on the wall about 1972, said it was the best and I bought it...It's always done everything I've asked of it, but its getting old...no safety brake, loud, heavy & plenty of vibes!!! A Husqvarna 65L.)
(Only been in the shop once, for a tune up that it didn't need...after that I just changed the plug every few years myself!)

So, whether the new Rancher 455 comes with a shim...just depends on that model? I do remember that there was NO shim attached or loose, between the bar and the removable cover....

Not to waste more of your guys time on this.... I googled & found a dealer that has posted a parts list breakdown for Husky saws online...

Now while there wasn't an entry for the new 455 Rancher.... but looking at a 55 and also the 359, both showed the same shim that my Husky 65 uses.

So if the new Rancher is shipped assembled, then it looks like Husqvarna slipped up & left it out....if the dealer puts the bar on, then someone there left out the shim or didn't notice it was missing.

(***This is of course me ASSUMING that leaving out this shim will result in excessive oil leakage past the bar!!! Maybe when I get the time I'll test out my old saw...)

Either way, Husky & the dealer lost a $466 sale due to a $1.99 (?) part, I wasted 2 50 minute trips back and forth to my "local" dealer.... BUT, I learned something new and I'll probably end up getting a better saw!!! :)

Anyway...thanks for everyones input!

StilLrnin said:
Mange, Sorry... guess I wasn't being very clear.

The Rancher 455 was purchased last Tues afternoon and went back the very next morning... (before I posted.) Its gone & I have all my money back & I have to say the dealer was very nice about it!

The pictures are of my old saw....probably been out of production for almost 30 years.

I've heard that this was the saw that Husky started becoming a popular name with, in the USA .... (I wouldn't know, a local dealer showed me this overpriced orange saw on the wall about 1972, said it was the best and I bought it...It's always done everything I've asked of it, but its getting old...no safety brake, loud, heavy & plenty of vibes!!! A Husqvarna 65L.)
(Only been in the shop once, for a tune up that it didn't need...after that I just changed the plug every few years myself!)

So, whether the new Rancher 455 comes with a shim...just depends on that model? I do remember that there was NO shim attached or loose, between the bar and the removable cover....
On the 455 ,there is NO outside shim like your 65L.

My mistake....you know the old saying about assuming!!!
I shouldn't have guessed by the exploded view/parts list...as it dosen't show the bar! :rolleyes:

But it is good to know that this dealer wouldn't let something simple like that slip by!

Now I'm going back to quietly reading all the great information available on this forum.... And try to stay outa trouble!!! :)

These shims are prmarily for the bar tension, to make it simpler, it also absorb some vibration, that could hurt the bar. Some saw models really need these, to get the distanses correct, i doubt this saw does, but i really can not say for sure.

Back