460 Magnum or new MS 461.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are in SE PA i may have a 460 i'd be willing to sell, i found a very good condition 460,461 normally around 450-600, whichever is in better condition and a better deal i would go for, though i did have beatup 461 i got for 450 and it had monster compression, just looked abused, and i prefer that over a newer 460...not sure if the oiler is different but the 461 seemed to oil better, can get a good deal on 461's these days since they arent the new saw anymore and see more used parts now, the new saw to get looks like the 462 whenever it comes out

How long do you expect to keep cutting wood for your personal use, 2yrs,5yrs,10yrs? If I were planning on cutting wood well into the future I'd get the new 461.

Went to look at the saw tonight picked it up by the pull cord and could hold it there and no climbing down the rope and piston looks good with muffler off it’s in my truck now. Actually looks like it spent a lot of time spent a lot of time riding in the truck.
Thanks to all who replied.
Shawn

220F4FB8-DDEE-44B1-9D40-B7C3D1AA1BEF.jpeg ED8E7A88-91A4-420D-BA75-13ADD624A949.jpeg It was not cleaned and polished when I got there it was scratched but no cracks or missing pieces no big gouges in the case everything seems to work I’ll be getting it a new spark plug just because.
Will be looking to replace air filter also just to start fresh. A little cleaning is also in its future.

here's my address an phone number if your interested. $300.oo includes return shipping. the best way to get in touch with me is text. 2-4 week turn over on average.

scott kunz
south 6825 state road 27
augusta wi 54722

715-456-0494

As for now I’m going to be using it as is with a tune up and cleaning when I get ahead on the wood pile I’ll consider porting but stepping up from the MS 390 it will probably impress me as is.
Shawn

Put it to oak today I’m really liking this saw it has a 20” bar and I think it’s going to get a full skip chain for Christmas.

I like to keep things simple if all 3 saws have same bar and chain and tuned to that setup it’s easier to make sure I have a spare on hand. A 25”-28” my find it’s way into my shed.
Shawn

Fwiw i have a tree monkeyed 460 with a 25in bar and it will take all of it in oak and its like a precision instrument. With that being said your file work is very very important.

Back