460 vs 461 vs 441 R C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe a dealer will chime in, but I believe all three are available w/ the hand warmer option. I believe the cod is VW so you would want the 460RCVW (I think - someone slap me if I'm wrong).

and yes the 441 is a fuel sipper.

dw

thank you, now what does the c stand for in the code? i know that the r is wrap and the vw means very warm but cant figure out the c

Ok I'd get the Dolmar 7900:D

Sent from my XT881 using Tapatalk 2

the thing is with the dolmar is that well i dont really like nothin but stihl really to tell you the gods honest truth. I will run any saw you put into my hands but at the end of the day the saws that i own are stihl. and one husky. lol. thanks for your input though. i would love to run a dolmar 7900 one day i have heard good things. not sure on reliability though. thats big for me.

Yes, the 461 is new in the US market, but it's using fairly established technology and stuff that has been around for a while (SawTroll may even say it's outdated and may be right). It has a regular old carb that you can clean, rebuild, and adjust. It has some fancy internal flow design, but we're talking about ports and passages in cast metal, so it's still "low risk" tech. In addition, we know that the 461 has been demoed and tested for at least a year if you look around on the internet. So I wouldn't worry about giving it time to iron out any kinks. Heck, my 461 has a build date of May 2012 even though it was the first one for sale in this area here in October 2012. It's already been around the block a bit.

I had been running a 441-CM for about three months, and recently sold it to a buddy and got a 461 for myself. I can't say anything bad about the 441-CM at all. It was a great saw. However, the 461 is noticeably stronger out of the box, as you'd expect of a bigger saw, and it's not noticeably different in weight, size, handling, or vibration. I handed off the 441 and began cutting with the 461 without missing a beat, and it's been a real workhorse of a saw so far. I didn't really split hairs or think about how the saws are different or new or old, I just took the 461 home and started using the heck out of it. It has impressed me every time I use it, always starting easily and consistently and always running hard.

Of the three saws you're talking about, the 461 is the strongest in stock form. So what else do you need to know? Just get one and start sawing wood!! I don't think you'll be kicking yourself -- who ever says their saw is too powerful or too strong??

thats what i've been needing to hear. thank you

thank you, now what does the c stand for in the code? i know that the r is wrap and the vw means very warm but cant figure out the c

The 441C is the m-tronic model. I'm not sure what exactly the letter "C" stands for though.

The "C" simply denotes options. SO the 460R is the model, and if you get options it adds the C plus the option. VW for heated grips.

In other saws there is the CQ - quick stop, CE Easy2Start feature, M is M-tronice. So C-VW, C-Q, C-E, & C-M are all I believe there is....

The Stihl web site list the 441RCm as MS 441 R C-M STIHL Magnum®

dw

Keep in mind the 461 is really a freshened up 460. In fact the 461 only has 12 parts that are different from the 460. I'm a fan of technology myself, but like with everything their will be teething issues, and I've seen this on a few 441 c-m's and would not rely on one at this point in time.

must be it stands for cool or somethin

C means convieniences.

E. easy start
M. M-Tronic
B. tool less chain adjust
Q. Second chain brake
and on and on

I think that R. wrap handle and VW. arctic do not count as convieniences.

I'd get a dolmar 7901 it's the new version I have ran a friends 7900 liked it so much I just got the makita version same thing just blue color instead of red. It is masterminded too. Have t ran it yet but I will this weekend.

I did run my 441c against the 7900 and the 7900 ate it for breakfast but the 7900 was broke in 441 wasn't.

Both great saws can't go wrong with either. But just remember if the computer goes out on 441c you cannot work on it yourself. If you can live with that ok if not... That's why I traded mine. And I didn't want to worry about the computer.

I'd say 440 460 7900. What about a husky 372? Old school no computer worry about easy to work on...

I'd get a dolmar 7901 it's the new version I have ran a friends 7900 liked it so much I just got the makita version same thing just blue color instead of red. It is masterminded too. Have t ran it yet but I will this weekend.

I did run my 441c against the 7900 and the 7900 ate it for breakfast but the 7900 was broke in 441 wasn't.

Both great saws can't go wrong with either. But just remember if the computer goes out on 441c you cannot work on it yourself. If you can live with that ok if not... That's why I traded mine. And I didn't want to worry about the computer.

I'd say 440 460 7900. What about a husky 372? Old school no computer worry about easy to work on...

And the 7900 is more than 10% larger displacement.

C-computer, Really?

There's no computer on my MS192TC? But it is C-E, easy start. There's no computer on my SH86C? But it too is C-E easy start. There's no C on the TS500i, the worlds only hand held OPE with fuel injection?

C-computer, Really?

There's no computer on my MS192TC? But it is C-E, easy start. There's no computer on my SH86C? But it too is C-E easy start. There's no C on the TS500i, the worlds only hand held OPE with fuel injection?

What he ^ said.

dw

Keep in mind the 461 is really a freshened up 460. In fact the 461 only has 12 parts that are different from the 460. I'm a fan of technology myself, but like with everything their will be teething issues, and I've seen this on a few 441 c-m's and would not rely on one at this point in time.

And what teething issues have you seen with the 441 CM? Have you experienced any yourself?

I know of about 21+ that I've had a part in moving on to other owners and there hasn't been one single solitary complaint or issue heard of yet, and most are in a professional setting or being used by those that really use a saw not just sit on a shelf.

I muffler modd them and put 28" bars with semi-chisel on them an cut with them. Buried and dawged in white and red oak they will pull, I think it is high 11k rpms in the cut. I'd have to check some old posts or check my tachs again, ported they are pure smooth animals that work with you and maintain your comfort.

I'm not at all against the 461 it sounds like a great saw, I never really liked the 460 due to bad AV, horrible fuel mileage and good enough air filtration. If those things are fixed then it should really be a great saw. I think they didn't put M-Tronics on it, because of all of this blind "old-school" crap, that people like to mindlessly brag about.

The 441 CM has all of the great technology on it and like a nice Cadillac it handles very well, and the 461 may have similar, but lacks that last little refined edge to keep the "old-school" customers coming to the trough, like they have for decades for that model, which is great and smart for Stihl, as they know that chainsaw users for some crazy reason like to do what their predicessors did before them, whether or not there is anything better out there or not.

For obvious reasons this has been a great marketing plan, because Stihl is a very successful company. They provide super tough, smooth, fuel sipping, powerful saws like the 441 CM for those like myself and a few others, and they provide 461's with anvil like simplicity and "old-school" techology for the majority remaining. What is not to like?

We can now go back to oil threads, LOL.

What the time on Arboristsite has shown me is that when the 440 is about to be gone forever, people waste sums of money just to buy some old model and technology. You could always buy the 441 and 441CM for less, usually much less, and its better all around, except for exact weight, but you can't actually feel the weight at the end of the day, because its a smoother saw with better fuel mileage and is more powerful.

Then the 201 was crap, so everyone wets their pants and buys every last one of them, until its found that some modest modds make it better than the 200T

By, By 260 and here comes a better 261 and everyone is buying up the old 260's, which was dumb.

The same will happen with the 661, when God forbid it ever shows up, it will spank the old 660, but everybody will think the world is gone, because it has flippy caps or a strato motor or something else petty.

When Stihl finally turns loose a new model its only after a lot of R&D and testing, so don't fool yourselves into thinking that some logger or firewood cutter will uncover some massive fault with the newer pro models, their not that dumb.

The choice is 441CM or 461, the 460 is gone by by, and there is a good reason for it. Someone needs to check fuel mileage and all day comfort of the 461 and if its at least reasonable, it will be a great seller, because, the marketing isn't that much different than the ultra successful 460.

Sam

Back