460 vs 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Both the 460 and 7900 in A1 condition, 026 felt a little low on compression but did not check it, chain was a little agrresive too for the 026.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nWhiRCxBzFY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nWhiRCxBzFY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Just checked the 026 compression and it's up about 172 psi, just pulls alot easier than the others I guess when starting one after the other.

Do you think the 460 may have beaten the 7900 due to it pulling higher revs upon entry? I assume it ws revving above the 7900's 13,500rpm limit?
What would you expect to see in larger wood with longer bars?
I've never run a 460 but have run a lot of 7900's. I'd like to compare them first hand one day.

Both saws bone stock and lightly used, same bar, chain, gear ect.

Based on that one cut I would not say the 7900 is slower, but they were very close in the few cuts I made with a few faster with the 460. Could make the results go either way with the mixture screws though.

Question is which one will end up faster:D

I'm glad to see this in stock form. A little bigger wood would've been nice, but a guy has to work with what he has.

I've always thought my stock MM'd 460 would run with a stock 7900:rock:

Both saws bone stock and lightly used, same bar, chain, gear ect.

Based on that one cut I would not say the 7900 is slower, but they were very close in the few cuts I made with a few faster with the 460. Could make the results go either way with the mixture screws though.

Question is which one will end up faster:D

The results could go either way... Just like every test out there... SO......

The question should be which one do you like..... I like my MS460 and other guy likes his 7900 and another guy likes his 372xp..... There is a backside for every seat....

I'm thinking that way, need to dig one out, Think I remember a husky 50 working for some of these but 272 coil is also comming to mind.

I run both the 460 and the 7900 regularly and like them both. I think the Dolmar has the easy win for bang-for-the-buck and lighter weight, but the Stihl has it for ease of maintenance and operation. The whole fleet at work is all-Stihl, and it's awful nice to be able to swap parts among different models.

If I had to choose just one, I wouldn't. Simple as that.

Back