461 Won't Shut Off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachary

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have 461 that all the sudden quit shutting off right. If you have it running full throttle it won't shut off unless you shut the switch on and off a couple of times. If you let it return completely to an idle it usually shuts off then but not always. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks

That's just it I don't but sometimes letting it return to an idle it doesn't always shut off. It's strange I used it a week ago and it was fine now this morning it's acting up like this.

I had the exact same problem with mine. I had to flood it to stop it. I removed the starter rope cover and noticed a small wire from the ignition was loose. I "plugged" it back in and crimped it with needle nose pliers and it hasn't happened again. Hopefully that's all it is in your case! Good luck and be safe. -Tom

I have 461 that all the sudden quit shutting off right. If you have it running full throttle it won't shut off unless you shut the switch on and off a couple of times. If you let it return completely to an idle it usually shuts off then but not always. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks

have seen switch get jammed full of sawdust and not work properly..... worth a look see

I would say it’s one of two things, ether your kill switch isn’t making contact, or there is a loose wire on your coil.
Will it shut off if you wiggle the kill switch?
Not sure of the design of the kill switch on a 461, but most Stihls have a brass post that grounds out when in the off position. Sometimes you have to tweek the alignment of the brass post so it grounds out when in the off position. Hope this helps.
I would think your 461 should be under Warranty?

Had a similar problem with an old 024. Didn't stop unless I choked it. Earth connection at switch needed cleaning and slight adustment. Still didn't stop.

Earth connection on the chassis for the kill switch was v rough. Frayed wires everywhere, connecting clip was mangled and surrounded with muck. A clean, a new connecting clip, a little soldering and the problem was sorted.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I blew it out with an air blower and now it seems to be working. It was pretty dusty I think it must have been jammed with sawdust. As far as the warranty I doubt it's much good any more. I cleaned out the muffler and removed the limiter caps.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I blew it out with an air blower and now it seems to be working. It was pretty dusty I think it must have been jammed with sawdust. As far as the warranty I doubt it's much good any more. I cleaned out the muffler and removed the limiter caps.

yea had this happen on the 460s a few times glad you got it straight :msp_thumbsup: sawdust has a habit of getting into strange places.... saw switch.....your drawers.....:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back