461R only comes with wrap handle no HO oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get to pick up my 441r and my 461r tomorrow can't wait,only took I week to get

he did not tell you about the 10 more they had out back i bet ...........

I wouldn't be surprised. It's an old time logger style saw shop and they sell a lot of saws.

Just for fun I asked them for the latest rumors on the 661. They're good guys and I've known them for years and once in awhile I like to stir them up a little. I can't write here what they said. Too nasty.

I wouldn't be surprised. It's an old time logger style saw shop and they sell a lot of saws.

Just for fun I asked them for the latest rumors on the 661. They're good guys and I've known them for years and once in awhile I like to stir them up a little. I can't write here what they said. Too nasty.

Not happy with the mother company?

Must be that east coast/west coast thing. My local saw shop had five R's on the shelf yesterday.

WC gets all the good saws it seems and has for a long time. All but one of my big MACs came from the WC. I've never seen anything but a half wrap handle in a Tennessee Stihl shop although you can order what you want. Ron

Bob, how would you rate the 461 as opposed to a stock 660?

I haven't run the 461 enough to really make an honest comparison but my initial impression of it was good. It's still stock and it's brand new so it's a little stiff and plugged up. I was cutting green doug fir with a 32" bar and JGX and it pulled pretty darn strong. I was surprised at how much grunt it had. It's quite a bit easier on fuel and if you factor in a few less fill ups every day and the time they take the actual production difference might be very small. I'd say the 461 is close to a stock 660. The 660 would probably have the edge with a 36 or a 42 inch bar.

With a small bar, say a 28 or a 24, and smaller wood, they'd probably run side by side. If a guy put one of those lite weight bars on the 461 he'd have a light sabre.

Not happy with the mother company?
No they're not. But what can they do? Papa Stihl makes the rules and us troops down here in the trenches are just along for the ride.
Like they said, if they dumped Stihl and had to depend on Husky sales they'd starve. Huskies are just for guys that don't know any better or can't afford a real saw. I'm putting on my full wrap helmet and flame suit now.

that's my impression as well. mine got a good bit stronger after it was broke in. the thought of having it ported is nagging at me now. a saw that light that would pull a 32 in hardwood well is a east coast loggers dream.

I don't cut as much hardwood as you guys but I'll bet if you had a good port job and some skip chain you'd like it.
How long did yours run before it started to loosen up?

probly took 10 tanks. oiler took a little longer till it put out fully, I need all I can get.
I think it would pull 32 in pine or poplar like it is but oak and hickory just need power in big ones.
skip, do they make any thing else?
by the way, a tank of oil to a tank of gas is as much as it will pump wide open. there is even a little oil left. is yours like that? 32 may be an issue for the oiler in my case.

probly took 10 tanks. oiler took a little longer till it put out fully, I need all I can get.
I think it would pull 32 in pine or poplar like it is but oak and hickory just need power in big ones.
skip, do they make any thing else?
by the way, a tank of oil to a tank of gas is as much as it will pump wide open. there is even a little oil left. is yours like that? 32 may be an issue for the oiler in my case.

No problem with the oiler and the 32. The book...and the saw shop... said that the big oiler would run the oil tank dry before the fuel tank so I set the adjuster about half way between the E and full. I checked it a couple of times on the first tank of gas and it was running even with the fuel. At fill up it was still just about even. Seems about right...the tip and the bar are getting a good amount of oil but it's not slinging it all over the inside of the clutch cover and making chip slime.
Now I want to put a 36 on it, crank the oil all the way up, and see how it does.

Both of mine came alive around 5 tanks into it, maybe more, I don't count much in the woods... And yes with a 32" light bar You could costar in texas chainsaw massacre 4. (the best one believe me...)

And having ran both a stock 066 and the 461 within minutes of each other the 066 got its butt kicked, had to port, muff mod, and add an eight pin to the 066 for it to keep up, Although the 066 has more oil for longer bars and a bigger clutch so it responds better in big wood.

No problem with the oiler and the 32. The book...and the saw shop... said that the big oiler would run the oil tank dry before the fuel tank so I set the adjuster about half way between the E and full. I checked it a couple of times on the first tank of gas and it was running even with the fuel. At fill up it was still just about even. Seems about right...the tip and the bar are getting a good amount of oil but it's not slinging it all over the inside of the clutch cover and making chip slime.
Now I want to put a 36 on it, crank the oil all the way up, and see how it does.

my oiler is wide open and there is oil left now when i run out of fuel ,it has been ported though ,something to consider if have it hopped up is fuel economy goes away ,but they sure run good

Latest posts

Back