49SP and 70E Build From Scratch.......or Scratches!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Lee...I am very surprised I found the problem so quickly and the fix was so easy!!!! Usually doesn't happen that way!!!!! HAHA!!!

Few more pics.....

200...View from the top......what a freekin mess!!!!! Where's that maid????? Anyway a shot of the doors 16' X 16' the place was designed to slide a 50 foot fiberglass boat hull into to finish off or any other less than fifty footer!!! The cyclone waiting to be installed (silver tin man)

188... 4 ton Bridge crane I built because I'm getting older and can't lift as much as I used to. LOLOL!!!! It has a single 2 ton 3ph Jet hoist...mostly it's used to bring up pallets stacked with door parts for the clamp carrier or I pick my boats off the trailers and set them on boatstands to paint the bottoms.

202...Metal break and coiled copper. I make all my own head flashings for windows, valleys, chimneys, drip edge etc. from either 16oz plain copper or 16oz LCC (lead coated copper)

HAHAHA!!!!! Thanks Dan LOLOL You couldn't stand it could you???LOL!!! I think you over did it a tad though LOL!!!!

Just a couple more!!!

185...This is a 1919 17" Otca made by the Old Town Canoe Company.....My friend Dave, who works with me, his son worked at Old Town a few yrs ago and I gave him the keel numbers off this boat....he found the original work order on this boat and a repair order the following yr. It stated each mans name and what work he did on the boat, how many hrs he worked on this boat and there were several different men doing different jobs. It also stated who bought it ( a man from Conn. in April 1919......it was returned to Old town in Nov 1919 needing a new end, guards and recanvasing and was sold again to a man in Brunswick the following April 1920.. Isn't that something????? And that was on paper.....with real hand writing in ink!!!! AND NOT ball point either!! I've known the boat 35 yrs and have owned it 25 and never put it in the water...it needs to be recanvassed again and some small wood repair. Just another of my "goal orientated" projects...LOLOL!!! My EX used to call them my "forgotten dreams" LOLOL!!! Well this one lasted longer than her LOLOL!!!!!

186...Inside..

199.....Now that's some woodworking right there!!!!

That shop kicks ass!
Saws too man. Good work.

Thanks I 'm quite happy the way the saws came out. It made quite a dent in my parts stash, building all three at once, Especially since I had intended to only do two in the beginning. LOL!!!

The shop seemed huge when I finished the remodel (it didn't look like that when I bought it!!!!) but has gotten steadily smaller as I started moving equipment in. And then the saws started arriving!!! As usual woodworking and engine work are not compatable in the same space so when the work comes for the shop the saws will have to be packed away. What I need is a dedicated saw shop, something more in the two car garage size.:cheers:

Wow. What a shop. Very good stuff. My retired father who is a carpenter just started replacing his equipment with all powermatic stuff. Those pieces are very well built. He will always keep the Unisaw but he now has their 15" planer with spiral cutters and has since replaced a 16" Laguna bandsaw with Powermatic's 18".

It is amazing how fast the space creeps in on you when you try to work on several different types of projects at once. Your shop is one of the nicest I have seen though...great thread.

Wow. What a shop. Very good stuff. My retired father who is a carpenter just started replacing his equipment with all powermatic stuff. Those pieces are very well built. He will always keep the Unisaw but he now has their 15" planer with spiral cutters and has since replaced a 16" Laguna bandsaw with Powermatic's 18".

It is amazing how fast the space creeps in on you when you try to work on several different types of projects at once. Your shop is one of the nicest I have seen though...great thread.

Thank you....As I said when working the shop, things are not as cluttered...couldn't be with three guys working the various stations. But overall I'm very happy with the space...much nicer than my first shop. The woodworking machine tools are a lifes worth of collecting...some stuff I bought new but most was used and most had had problems. The 12" delta radial saw was complete junk but I totally rebuilt it from the bottom up and have used it for the last 20 yrs and have not touched a wrench to in all that time. That's the real difference between a quality built tool and a cheap knock-off...:cheers:

Hi Robin. Just catching up on your projects, as I have been on holiday in the south of France for two weeks. You have a very nice workshop there and it looks as though you have been a collector for a very long time.The saws look great and I compliment you on the good work you have done. I think that a lot of people will be prepared to have a go at something themselves after following your thread.
geoff.

:cheers:

Hi Robin. Just catching up on your projects, as I have been on holiday in the south of France for two weeks. You have a very nice workshop there and it looks as though you have been a collector for a very long time.The saws look great and I compliment you on the good work you have done. I think that a lot of people will be prepared to have a go at something themselves after following your thread.
geoff.

:cheers:[/QUOT

Thanks Geoff I trust you had a good vacation. As far as collecting saws it has only been since a bit before I joined this site but have always owned one since 7th grade. As far as tools...thats a simply a means to an end as woodworking is my trade and as you advance in ablities and experience one thing leads to another and you always seem to need another machine to help produce what the clients want to pay you for. Some rather expensive tools I've only used on the job that required them.

Well I finally got time last Sunday to get these three saws in some hardwood and see how they went. I had cut up a little dozy spruce with the 70E but had not run either 49SP in wood. It finally quit raining here but then I was way behind in outside work and garden tilling that had to be caught up before I could take an afternoon off to cut wood.

A friend had 8 cord of tree length maple with a little yellow birch mixed in and some ash as well. I started out with the stock 49SP which ran and cut very well and only had to be fine tuned just a tad. Then I ran the ported 49SP and it cut considerably quicker than the stocker but was a bit harder to get and keep in tune...I may change out carbs and see if that has any affect. It ran good and strong. just became hard starting after it was shut off and sat a while.
Next came the 70E and it performed flawlessly and really put out the chips....I had forgotten how strong those were. I fit to 16" a little over a cord with each of these saws, then pulled out the 61/268XP in my sig and just ripped through the rest of the pile. My friend had already done about 3 cord before I got there and stacked it up. I did the other 5 cord in just over 2 1/2 hours using four different saws LOLOL!!! He was way busy stacking the fit wood and keeping the area clear for me so it went real smooth and quick.

So, all in all, with three saw builds two ran beautifully and flawlessly and the other ran fine but still needs a little tweaking..but nothing blew up or fell apart...so I would have to venture "the operation was a sucess" Not to bad for 34/35 yr old junk!!!!

When you are working on them the word "junk" doesn't quite enter the realm of possibilities, Cantdog. These are near works of art, certainly classics, brought back to life by a true craftsman. Good job!

Thank you very much for the kind words. It was just all in fun, but I was always taught by my father that "A job worth doing, is worth doing to the best of your abilities", so that is the way I operate with just about everything I do.

I really liked rebuilding my old 49SP but that 70E is just plain sweet.
My friend that had the wood pile is a diehard Stihl fan but even he was impressed by the amount and size of the chips that she was throwing...he was having a hard time keeping the wood clear around me and not being beat back by the chip plume!! LOL!!! Not having a chain break in the way and an inboard clutch really lets the chips fly!!! I am going to be real happy with that one!!!

Well I finally got time last Sunday to get these three saws in some hardwood and see how they went....
So, all in all, with three saw builds two ran beautifully and flawlessly and the other ran fine but still needs a little tweaking..but nothing blew up or fell apart...so I would have to venture "the operation was a sucess" Not to bad for 34/35 yr old junk!!!!

You gotta :heart: it when rebuilt saws, especially "middle aged" ones, run and cut well :msp_thumbsup:.

Hi Robin. Congratulations on the finished rebuilds,it sounds like you had a good time running them. It is always good when a plan comes together and everything works. I have just picked up a 262xp,that I am hoping to tear down over the winter and see what needs to be done.
geoff.

Thanks Geoff...You will like that 262XP. I have been building one from scratch for a wood cutter friend of mine. He really likes those saws and has worn out 3 or 4 so I took the carcases and picked the best of the worst from all three, plus bought quite a few new parts. I am porting it as well, but that is slow work as there is very little room to enlarge the intake and exhaust ports as they are nearly as wide as they possibly can be right from the factory. I have been taking pics along the way as in these builds but not quite as much to see as I didn't have to split the cases, just replaced the crank seals. I plan to post a thread on that saw build when I get closer to done. So stay tuned, as it may be helpful, when you do your teardown,to have a step by step salvage operation to consult and get a little info from.

Thanks Geoff...You will like that 262XP. I have been building one from scratch for a wood cutter friend of mine. He really likes those saws and has worn out 3 or 4 so I took the carcases and picked the best of the worst from all three, plus bought quite a few new parts. I am porting it as well, but that is slow work as there is very little room to enlarge the intake and exhaust ports as they are nearly as wide as they possibly can be right from the factory. I have been taking pics along the way as in these builds but not quite as much to see as I didn't have to split the cases, just replaced the crank seals. I plan to post a thread on that saw build when I get closer to done. So stay tuned, as it may be helpful, when you do your teardown,to have a step by step salvage operation to consult and get a little info from.

Will do.
Geoff.

Hi, new poster here. Just wondering why i cant see pics in this thread. I am working on a 49sp now and there is a ton of good info, but to see the pics would be wonderful. Did the OP delete the photos? Mr. Cantdog are these photos viewable from any other hosting site? Thanks I have a few other jonnies that will be resurected now that I have some new found spare time!

Hi, new poster here. Just wondering why i cant see pics in this thread. I am working on a 49sp now and there is a ton of good info, but to see the pics would be wonderful. Did the OP delete the photos? Mr. Cantdog are these photos viewable from any other hosting site? Thanks I have a few other jonnies that will be resurected now that I have some new found spare time!

There was server crash, not sure when, and all the photos & vids were lost.

@Cantdog will be the one to know if they're available elsewhere.

Does anybody have the specs for testing a 49sp coil. Mine is working and running fine but my multimeter shows nothing between the plug wire and any other contact on the coil. It does show 3000 ohms between the points contact and the frame. Seams there should be a reading between the plug wire and the points clip and frame.

Latest posts

Back