Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PNW Sawduster

I cut it off twice, and it's still too short!
Reaction score
So I've been looking hard for a replacement coil for one of my old trusty Jonny 49SP's, and the only one I could find was on eBay of course. The listing was for a recoil starter cover with coil, for a 49sp. The Seller said the coil was good, and I figured even if it wasn't, for the price ($35) I could roll the dice and get most of my $$ back out if the cover alone, so I bought it and it's currently in transit on its way as I type. I was just poking around the listing again trying to figure out when it would actually arrive, when it suddenly hit me that the photos posted in the original eBay listing didn't jibe with what pix I've seen here on other 49SP posts that show the coil. All the posts here seem to show the coil attached to a couple of bosses sticking out from the cylinder, whereas this animal is attached to the starter cover itself. Is this from an older 49sp maybe? Or did the seller just misidentify the origin of the part, and I was too dumb to catch the difference before pulling the trigger? I'd simply check my saw except A) I'm at work, and B) The saw is at a shop anyway. Here's the photos from the listing; what do you guys think? Cantdog? Love to hear your input as you seem to be the authoritative source of all things 49SP :)

Attachments

• 104.png
    104.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 103.png
    103.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 102.png
    102.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 101.png
    101.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
So I've been looking hard for a replacement coil for one of my old trusty Jonny 49SP's, and the only one I could find was on eBay of course. The listing was for a recoil starter cover with coil, for a 49sp. The Seller said the coil was good, and I figured even if it wasn't, for the price ($35) I could roll the dice and get most of my $$ back out if the cover alone, so I bought it and it's currently in transit on its way as I type. I was just poking around the listing again trying to figure out when it would actually arrive, when it suddenly hit me that the photos posted in the original eBay listing didn't jibe with what pix I've seen here on other 49SP posts that show the coil. All the posts here seem to show the coil attached to a couple of bosses sticking out from the cylinder, whereas this animal is attached to the starter cover itself. Is this from an older 49sp maybe? Or did the seller just misidentify the origin of the part, and I was too dumb to catch the difference before pulling the trigger? I'd simply check my saw except A) I'm at work, and B) The saw is at a shop anyway. Here's the photos from the listing; what do you guys think? Cantdog? Love to hear your input as you seem to be the authoritative source of all things 49SP :)
Well........that is not a coil/recoil for a 49SP...it is for a 52/52E. The recoil will work on a 49sp but not the coil. 49Sp coil is cyl mounted, not recoil mounted. I think (but not positive) that the one in the pics is for a 52 and not a 52E. If I remember correctly the 52E coil is quite a bit smaller but mounts in the same place. Sorry.

Well damn. Thanks CD. How hard are coils to find for 52's? I've been thinking of getting one, tho why on earth I need any more 50cc chainsaws is a valid question LOL

On that note, anybody out there happen to have/know of any good points coils for a 49sp?

Well damn. Thanks CD. How hard are coils to find for 52's? I've been thinking of getting one, tho why on earth I need any more 50cc chainsaws is a valid question LOL

On that note, anybody out there happen to have/know of any good points coils for a 49sp?
Well.......I have and have had a bunch of 52/52Es , 521Es and obviously 49SPs. All the 52/52E/521s are great saws, with the 521E being the absolute "Cadillac" of the 50cc Jonsereds line back then. The 49sp is a stripped down 52 sorta. The 52/52E has closed port cyl and a two ring piston.....and either a very robust points ign or and electronic ign for the 52E. These saw were considered "Pro" saws....made to be used hard for a very long time. The 49 was a "Farmer saw".. semi pro. What they did was put in a much wimpier points ign and a open port cyl with a one ring piston.....this was a "Price point saw".......however.....though the 49 is lighter and faster they sold very well.....but when used real hard industrially would burn up. Not right away as they were still very well made but they just wouldn't take the loading you could put on the top of the line saws...day after day.... All that said I rarely reach for any of the various 52/52Es I have over a 49.......I will choose a 521E sometimes when it's cold out as I really like the two speed electrically heated handles!!!

Sorry the coils are getting hard to come by.......but you should pull your flywheel and make certain your problem is not just oxidized points contacts.....or perhaps a beat condenser...

Well.......I have and have had a bunch of 52/52Es , 521Es and obviously 49SPs. All the 52/52E/521s are great saws, with the 521E being the absolute "Cadillac" of the 50cc Jonsereds line back then. The 49sp is a stripped down 52 sorta. The 52/52E has closed port cyl and a two ring piston.....and either a very robust points ign or and electronic ign for the 52E. These saw were considered "Pro" saws....made to be used hard for a very long time. The 49 was a "Farmer saw".. semi pro. What they did was put in a much wimpier points ign and a open port cyl with a one ring piston.....this was a "Price point saw".......however.....though the 49 is lighter and faster they sold very well.....but when used real hard industrially would burn up. Not right away as they were still very well made but they just wouldn't take the loading you could put on the top of the line saws...day after day.... All that said I rarely reach for any of the various 52/52Es I have over a 49.......I will choose a 521E sometimes when it's cold out as I really like the two speed electrically heated handles!!!

Sorry the coils are getting hard to come by.......but you should pull your flywheel and make certain your problem is not just oxidized points contacts.....or perhaps a beat condenser...
Good idea, I'll do that and report back :) If worse comes to worst, guess I'll either Frankenstein a different coil in there or see if there's any way to rebuild one of the originals.

While we're chatting, any suggestions for a 20-25" capable Jonny that is as solid as the 49's and 52's, but a bit bigger, AND that I can nominally find parts for? The 70's look attractive, but sounds like ignition woes there too.... We've had some pretty big trees come down in recent windstorms out here (30"+) and it would be nice to have something with a bit more grunt to deal with the size of the wood.

Yeah the electronic saws were great but now not being able to get replacement spares they are kinda out of the running if you want to use them. I would say the 621 would be a good choice for something that will run a 20"......if you need to go bigger an 80 or 90 would be the upper level choices......these are all points style saws and once you understand points completely and can deal these offer a much longer life.

Yeah the electronic saws were great but now not being able to get replacement spares they are kinda out of the running if you want to use them. I would say the 621 would be a good choice for something that will run a 20"......if you need to go bigger an 80 or 90 would be the upper level choices......these are all points style saws and once you understand points completely and can deal these offer a much longer life.
I do understand points very well, having had a '68 Chevelle for my first car. Drove it like I stole it, everywhere I went, and always did all my own wrenching. Points and I are old friends LOL

On another note, another 49sp I have is flooding so badly that it's throwing gas out of the muffler when I try to start it. It will start briefly and run for about 30 seconds, the sputter out, and then nothing I do can get it started again. It has fire, I checked that right off the bat. Maybe I'm just bad at starting these things. My 451e is a muther to get started again when hot, too, tho if it's right away it's not as bad. If I let it sit for 10 min after running it tho, it's a ***** to get it started again. Maybe it's just out of tune.

I do understand points very well, having had a '68 Chevelle for my first car. Drove it like I stole it, everywhere I went, and always did all my own wrenching. Points and I are old friends LOL

On another note, another 49sp I have is flooding so badly that it's throwing gas out of the muffler when I try to start it. It will start briefly and run for about 30 seconds, the sputter out, and then nothing I do can get it started again. It has fire, I checked that right off the bat. Maybe I'm just bad at starting these things. My 451e is a muther to get started again when hot, too, tho if it's right away it's not as bad. If I let it sit for 10 min after running it tho, it's a ***** to get it started again. Maybe it's just out of tune.
Sounds like your metering valve is stuck open or maladjusted. I would suggest getting a Tilotson carb kit and rebuild the carb. The metering lever must be set flush with the opening/ floor of the carb body...if necessary bend the lever slightly to make it so.....don't try to alter the spring...these are very sensitive and if stretched they will be useless.

Sounds like your metering valve is stuck open or maladjusted. I would suggest getting a Tilotson carb kit and rebuild the carb. The metering lever must be set flush with the opening/ floor of the carb body...if necessary bend the lever slightly to make it so.....don't try to alter the spring...these are very sensitive and if stretched they will be useless.
Thanks CD, great advice. I'll do that.

So another coil query - a guy in Maine has a coil posted on fleabay, and says it's a "49 49sp 50 coil" off a running saw. This sure looks like the 52 coil to me, yes?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210126-151615.png
    Screenshot_20210126-151615.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
Thanks CD. The guy (who is in Etna, ME - how far is that from you?) acknowledged his mistake and said he'd list the proper one, so things look hopeful! Lol

Back