5 Poulan Saws want to make 4 runners suggestions needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Brenneman

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I recently bought a lot 5 older Poulan saws. 2 run, but not so great and of the remaining 3 I hope to make 2.
The models are

245A Bow
306A
361 (2)
3700 Bow

I've put fresh fuel in the bows and they run, but not so wonderfully. I think its a fueling issue. Just curious where to start the tuneup.

I've ordered one major repair kit. It should arrive in several weeks from China! Spark plugs look good. Took the top off one of the carbs, it looks good. Bought a harbor frieght compression tester too, I've not got it fitted well, but figure the compression is good enough for them to run, so probably not the issue, but I could be wrong.

Any help is appreciated. I'd like to get these running good. See which 2 I like the best and probably sell the other 2. Then the 2 I keep I want to mod for performance.

Thank you,
Matt

I’ve never had luck with Chineese carb kits. You can order kits directly from the manufacturer. Sometimes you just have to put the money where it counts.

Order your self a mitivac 8500 and watch a few YouTube videos on vac and pressure tests.

Pull the mufflers off and check for cylinder scoring is the first thing.

Well, the 3700 is not compatable with the other saws. Would be my choice as a fixer upper. The 306 and 245 share parts, though the 245 is a bigger saw(power). The 361 I don’t have any experience with. I’d rebuild the carbs and run new fuel lines and filters at minimum.

Thanks guys, I checked out the mitivac, looks like a cool addition to the lab! Funny thing about the carb kit, I assumed I'd have it in 2 days with prime shipping, had no clue it was coming from the far east. I'll do some searching and hopefully land in the right place the second time around. If anyone else has anything to add, I'm all ears.

Back