50:1 or 40:1?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the shelf life of Echo, Stihl Ultra, Amsoil Saber?
Does synthetic motor for cars like Mobil have shelf life? I thought oil last a long long time!!!

Why they are limit in life? The additatives?

What is the shelf life of Echo, Stihl Ultra, Amsoil Saber?
Does synthetic motor for cars like Mobil have shelf life? I thought oil last a long long time!!!

Why they are limit in life? The additatives?

i think it is the additives they put in the oil like Homelite makes there synthetic blend oil 50:1 ratio suppose to do away with the smoke problem due to epa issues we have that homelite blend in stock and are cheaper than other places online for it im like $ 1 below the others $ 1.44 is what we charge for them 2.6 oz bottles we normally stock up on it since it can be used on any Homelite model

so hope this helps out on the question besides in the vehicle i use castrol brand oil

Last edited:
My jonsered cs2171 that I got last summer is supposed to run on a 50:1 mix. I've never had any two stroke that ran on such a lean mixture. Is the EPA behind these new reccomendations? I'd like to get several years out of this one, and I've been mixing my gas 40:1 to be sure that I do. I would not have a problem buying synthetic 50:1 oil if I thought it would be better for my engine than what I'm doing now. Any advise on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks!

Look, mix it 45:1, everyone is happy, nobody's feelings get hurt.

Mark

Oil Mixes:

Well. When I had bikes I either ran 32:1 in my CR250's, sometimes 40:1 if I felt I wouldnt be doing much wide open. In my KDX I always ran 40:1

I figure with a saw thats being run wide open all day 40:1 instead of 50:1 is more appropriate. I dont run stihl oil because its a waste of money =].
I usually run some kinda ok oil from an auto parts store. Rarely gas station oil.

Mind you, the more oil you add to the mix the leaner the saw will run.
IE if tuned using 50:1 it will actually run leaner on 32:1.
Reason being there is less gasoline per volume in the fuel... Stoich is 14.7/1 A/F with 50:1.. 2/100ths of the fuel and approximately 0.294% of the intake charge is mix oil. With 40:1 2.5/100ths of the fuel mix and 0.367% of the intake charge is oil. Its a slight difference that can be used to alter A/F ratios ever so slightly.. with fixed jet carbs it can make up a difference between jet sizes. Racers use very specific ratios to tune for stoichiometric A/F ratios & max power. The average saw user wants the A/F ration a little rich anyways because the saw will run cooler and longer.

Basicly, stoich might be different with premix than straight gas as well.
More of a topic for the hotsaws forum.

I agree that if you add more oil to the mix it would have a tendancy to run leaner, figuring that the right air/fuel ratio of 14.7/1 has been changed. That is why when changing the amounnts of oil being used in any 2 stroke engine the carburetor adjustments should be changed or adjusted for the fuel/mix you are using. I prefer to run a 32/1 mix of synthectic oil in all my newer equuipment and 24/1 mix in all my old antique saws, saws made before 1960. Just a note: There was a thread here that had a link to Husky and Stihl saws that stated that 40/1 mixes should be used in smaller saws up to 3 to 4 cubes. 32/1 mix to be used in saws between 4 -7 cubes and 24/1 mix used in saws over 7 cubes. Apparently at the time they were having seizures and lower end bering problems with the saws. Not sure if the newer saws are having problems or not, not into keeping up on all the new stuff out there, but I would still use the above suggested mixes for that size of saw or engine size. There are so many oil threads to read that I didn't bother to try and search for that thread with the links in them. Maybe someone here knows where it is. Everyone take care, Lewis Brander.

50 to 1 even if says 32 one gas can . carbon build up is harder on a saw than a little bit lean .

Actually in some of my old saws the newer synthectic oils have sofened up the carbon and has cleaned up the combuston area over time. I have not noticed any carbon build up in any saw that I have cleaned the combustion chamber on first and ran say a 32/1 mix in. I haven't had any problems with plugs fouling as often either with the newer oils at 32/1 mixes. My newest piece of equipment says to run a 40/1 mix, but all of my newer chainsaws I use along with my lawn and garden equipment get 32/1 mix. I have a Ryan weedeater that I bought new in 1982 and the only thing I've replaced is the rewind pulley, a bump knob, one coil and 2 sparkplugs in its life time. That Ryan has seen all sorts of oil put through it and had carbon build up in the combustion chamber and muffler. Started using Mobil 1, MX2T oil in her and there was a black ozz that came from the exhaust or muffler. You didn't want to get it on your clothes, cause the stuff would stain and not come out in a wash. After one seasons use the Ryan acutally seemed to pick up more power and run much better. Probably due to the muffler being cleaned out, I did have to clean the plug a couple times, but last couple summer, after 1 year of synthectic oil use no problems. I've ran the thing dry for winter storage, just fuel her up in the spring and she still starts and runs just fine.
Lewis.

So what about bar oil......Gary?....anyone?.....hellooo

As far as bar oils go: use what you want, you will anyways, from old motor oil, frresh motor oil, Trany fluid, gear oil, Hytran oil, olive oil, etc, etc. Hell use that Warming KY jelly if it turns you on.

So what about bar oil......Gary?....anyone?.....hellooo

As far as bar oils go: use what you want, you will anyways, from old motor oil, frresh motor oil, Trany fluid, gear oil, Hytran oil, olive oil, etc, etc. Hell use that Warming KY jelly if it turns you on.

LoL...did you say frrresh motor oil....does that go through an extra step in processing than regular motor oil?:confused: :)

Actually I drink about two tubes of KY and pi$$ in the jug.....good enough??
:greenchainsaw:

:sucks: still sucks but at least now I can get a laugh out of it...thanks

Boring:

Another oil thread *yawn*

If this is boring then don't read the thread. I think most people come here to ask a question, get informaiton and learn. In my opioion, whicn doesn't count for much, there are NO dum questions. The only dum thing to do if you have a question is not to ask it. Lubrication is a good part of a saws life, so it's important to know and understand. I'm some what old school and have a tendancy to run more oil. With todays oils if you prefer to run 50/1 or 100/1 then go for it. It's your equipment do with it as you wish. I prefer to run 32/1 mix and wouldn't run anything less than a 40/1 mix, but that just my opinion. You do what you want. I have a small Poulan Leaf blower that I got as a gift. If I understand it right it only is rated for about a 50 hr life span if ran at WOT. I'm interested to see just how many hrs I can get out of the thing. It says to replace the muffler after so many hrs of ues. I'm running 32/1 in her so we'll see what happens after time.

Bar oil:

Hello Wood Junkie. Glad you finally got a laugh out of this thread. Must not be as bad/boring as some think to seem it is. Got to have some humor to liven up the show every once in a while.

Edited: Wonder if that would work to screw up a random drug test some of these places give employees. Hummmmmm.

Last edited:
Look, mix it 45:1, everyone is happy, nobody's feelings get hurt.

Mark
Have to agree here 100 %. It is a happy medium between 40/1 for milling & 50/1. With the oils on the market now providing better protection the thinking that you have to continue mixing at the days of old ratios is wrong for newer saws say 10 years old or newer. You can do it but once the saw is adjusted it will not produce as much horsepower in addition to loading up the bottom end bearings that will take on a varnished tinge . Old habits die hard.

If this is boring then don't read the thread. I think most people come here to ask a question, get informaiton and learn. In my opioion, whicn doesn't count for much, there are NO dum questions. The only dum thing to do if you have a question is not to ask it.

I drink to that:cheers:

I have been saying the exact same thing over and over. I did ask a lot of oil question before. People here cast me as stubborn, not listening. It was getting to the point that whenever I ask something related to oil, they start barking already!! I had been into big arguments!!!

I agree, This is a public forum, people should be able to come and asked openly. I even have people writing to me in private to encourage becaue they don't want to get all the criticism.

I think oil is very important, the forum should encourage the new people to ask questions. When I bought my first equipment, I have no idea about oil mix. I learned from here. When ever I see a thread like this, I would try to answer if I think I have something useful to offer. So keep asking and post your opinion, I will cheer you on!!!:cheers:

Oil Mix:

I drink to that:cheers:

I have been saying the exact same thing over and over. I did ask a lot of oil question before. People here cast me as stubborn, not listening. It was getting to the point that whenever I ask something related to oil, they start barking already!! I had been into big arguments!!!

I agree, This is a public forum, people should be able to come and asked openly. I even have people writing to me in private to encourage becaue they don't want to get all the criticism.

I think oil is very important, the forum should encourage the new people to ask questions. When I bought my first equipment, I have no idea about oil mix. I learned from here. When ever I see a thread like this, I would try to answer if I think I have something useful to offer. So keep asking and post your opinion, I will cheer you on!!!:cheers:

Hello Youngman. Good to hear from you. I don't know about most of you here, but to me a saw is quite an investment and properly maintaining it only adds to its life time. For every person here, for every brand and model of saw there will be different opinions what to use for an oil mix in these saws. My newest saw was made in 1982 a Poulan 3400 CAV that calls for a 16/1 mix using Poulan brand oil. I've gone to a 32/1 mix of Synthectic oil for that saw and have used her with no problems. I've readjusted the carb for that mix and she ran just fine. I then modded the muffler, readjusted the carb and she acts like a completely different saw. I'm some what old school. My brother bought a new Husqvarna 372XP, it calls for 50/1 mix. The dealer he bought the saw from said to go to 40/1 mix of either Husky or Stihl oils or any good oil that he trusted. I mixed up a batch of 32/1 Mobil 1, MX2T oil for him, adjusted the carb and he went to cutting like he stole the saw. After running about 5 gallons of 32/1 mix gas through her, he decided to go to a 40/1 mix. We readjusted the carb and have been running on 40/1 mix ever since, with absolutely no problems. He did run some 50/1 mix, but doesn't like it, cause he sees very little exhaust smoke. With the 32/1 mix you can see the smoke and you will get some unburned oil thorwen out the exhasut. with the 40/1 mix, he's satisfied, he sees a bit of oil when using the saw and it's not throwing oil all over the saw. We also modded the muffler on his saw and readjusted the carb. He simply loves to use that saw, with the way it is now set up. He's been using it for the last 3 years for his own wood supply and has had NO problems with the saw. He's carefull not to over rev the saw out of the wood, doesn't let it idle for long period of time and after a long hard cut or cutting on a hot day he will usually fast idle the saw for a few seconds before shutting her off to cool things down a bit if he feels she running warmer than usuall. Lean mixtures, from what ever cause, and too little oil are in my opinion the 2 biggest enemies that the saws have, along with operator ignorance or error. Best advice is to either follow MFG suggestion, make up your own mind, go with your own gut feelings, ask questions and keep everyone here on their toes. As said, this is an open forum, anyone can ask any queston they wish relating to saws and this is a good topic to keep open. I'm waiting to hear more about these so called 4 stroke hybrids that are coming out in various weedeaters and I suppose saws after awhile. Everyone take care. Be good, play safe and be carefull. Lewis.

Hello Youngman. Good to hear from you. I don't know about most of you here, but to me a saw is quite an investment and properly maintaining it only adds to its life time. For every person here, for every brand and model of saw there will be different opinions what to use for an oil mix in these saws. My newest saw was made in 1982 a Poulan 3400 CAV that calls for a 16/1 mix using Poulan brand oil. I've gone to a 32/1 mix of Synthectic oil for that saw and have used her with no problems. I've readjusted the carb for that mix and she ran just fine. I then modded the muffler, readjusted the carb and she acts like a completely different saw. I'm some what old school. My brother bought a new Husqvarna 372XP, it calls for 50/1 mix. The dealer he bought the saw from said to go to 40/1 mix of either Husky or Stihl oils or any good oil that he trusted. I mixed up a batch of 32/1 Mobil 1, MX2T oil for him, adjusted the carb and he went to cutting like he stole the saw. After running about 5 gallons of 32/1 mix gas through her, he decided to go to a 40/1 mix. We readjusted the carb and have been running on 40/1 mix ever since, with absolutely no problems. He did run some 50/1 mix, but doesn't like it, cause he sees very little exhaust smoke. With the 32/1 mix you can see the smoke and you will get some unburned oil thorwen out the exhasut. with the 40/1 mix, he's satisfied, he sees a bit of oil when using the saw and it's not throwing oil all over the saw. We also modded the muffler on his saw and readjusted the carb. He simply loves to use that saw, with the way it is now set up. He's been using it for the last 3 years for his own wood supply and has had NO problems with the saw. He's carefull not to over rev the saw out of the wood, doesn't let it idle for long period of time and after a long hard cut or cutting on a hot day he will usually fast idle the saw for a few seconds before shutting her off to cool things down a bit if he feels she running warmer than usuall. Lean mixtures, from what ever cause, and too little oil are in my opinion the 2 biggest enemies that the saws have, along with operator ignorance or error. Best advice is to either follow MFG suggestion, make up your own mind, go with your own gut feelings, ask questions and keep everyone here on their toes. As said, this is an open forum, anyone can ask any queston they wish relating to saws and this is a good topic to keep open. I'm waiting to hear more about these so called 4 stroke hybrids that are coming out in various weedeaters and I suppose saws after awhile. Everyone take care. Be good, play safe and be carefull. Lewis.

Thanks for the reply. I have a Shindaiwa C4 blower which is a 4 cycle hybrid. I am not sure I like it that well. For those the maintenance is quite high. You have to adjust the valve which is easy. The decarbon part is not so easy. I have ask a lot on the forum, consencus are the valves are more sensitive to deposit which make putting more oil not a good idea. This mean you should stay close to 50:1!!!! It is not as easy to decarbon as the Honda mini 4 cycles with separate oil. The mix go through crankcase like the 2 cycle which make simple method of decarbon like spray water into carb not a good idea. So you actually have to use decarbon solution by Stihl which is corrosive or open it up to clean which is not an easy job. Honda don't have oil in the gas, if everything else being equal, Honda have no oil to burn to form deposit.

Just hope saws don't start going to hybrid 4cycle route. I don't think Honda type of engine would work for saws. From what I heard, it takes 30 seconds to warm up to whip the oil into a mist so it can be run in all position. Tree saws have to be start and stop many time a day, who want to wait!!! Other than my Honda HHT31S trimmer, I think I would go back to 2 cycles while they are still available.

Take care.

Last edited:
Back