50 CC Saw 3/8 or 325/

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just nosing about looking at a MS 271. It comes with a 325 saftey chain. The Husqvarna 450 also has a 325.Is there any saw that comes stock in the 50 CC class with a 3/8 chain?

I think below 65 or cc or real close to that saws are supposed to be delivered with reduced kickback bar and chain. That isn't to say it is impossible to walk out with something yellow rated or a different pitch. The bumper drive link like the 3 on the end of Stihl designation really do not cause horrible performance. Some of the bumper tie strap chains might be different.

Don't some of the $200 choices come with 3/8?

If you want 3/8 ask the dealer to do a switch. I am happy my self with either 1. If I have to sharpen a lot I prefer 3/8, otherwise clean wood I haven't found a good enough reason to me to prefer 1 over the other unless its a matter of cost or what I have on hand.

Most users will be better off with .325 anyway, on a 50cc saw. Both Oregon and Stihl make excellent .325 chain, even though there are a lot of crap out there.

Why do you want 3/8 on that saw?

3/8 picco super is a really good chain for those size saws. The teeth stay sharp longer too. I don't think they make the super in .325 pitch.

3/8 picco super is a really good chain for those size saws. The teeth stay sharp longer too. I don't think they make the super in .325 pitch.

Of course not - but Picco chain isn't compatible with regular 3/8" bars and sprockets either, it is a third option.

Picco teeth will of course not stay sharp longer, rather the opposite!

Of course not - but Picco chain isn't compatible with regular 3/8" bars and sprockets either, it is a third option.

Picco teeth will of course not stay sharp longer, rather the opposite!

Exactly. That's what came as OE on my MS231. Cuts really well when freshly sharpened but will go dull really quick, especially when even a smidge of hardwood is involved.

The bumper drive link like the 3 on the end of Stihl designation really do not cause horrible performance.
1ce7.jpg
ht11.jpg

At least not for regular crosscutting of relatively small wood.....

I have and use quite a few saws in the 50cc range, Husqvarna 50 Special, 2 Husqvarna closed port 55's, and an Echo CS-510. They are best suited for 18" bars and .325" semi-chisel chain set-ups. I've had several Husqvarna 55's with 3/8", one had a 20" bar, and they weren't happy with that much bite.

All of mine have Oregon .325" semi-chisel on them. Day in and day out it has been the best set-up for those saws. Stays sharp in dirty material, and cuts very fast. Works out well here since most of our firewood comes from tops left over from logging operations, which tend to be smaller material and dirty.

Thirty years ago I thought everything had to have 3/8" full chisel on it with the rakers cut down pretty hard, but in recent years I've come to respect 3/8" LP and .325" semi-chisel. They cut fast and stay sharp longer than the big chains with full chisel.....FWIW.....Cliff

I had a 20" bar, 3/8" chain on my Husky 55, it ran it pretty good. I just replaced the wore out bar with a 16" bar, 3/8" chain and it runs it very good! Also, it "oils" a lot better with a 16" bar...

My Husky 550xp came with 20"/.325 and I changed it over to 16"/3/8", I like it MUCH better and it runs the 3/8's chain great! I'll never go back to .325" on that saw!

SR

I am really liking BPX chain on my ported 2253. I use it mostly for limbing and it is much smoother than 3/8.
I don't care if it is slower than 3/8 or not. The saw is plenty fast enough for me.

My 50cc Poulan (PP5020) came with 3/8. I have considered switching it to .325 as many have suggested, but I honestly think it cuts great with the 3/8. I have an older Poulan 3000 that is also 50cc, and it has .325 on it. The saws run much differently, however they both cut at arguably the same speed. For hard wood, the .325 seems to give the motor less of a work out, but it softwood the 3/8 saw rules as it just throws bigger chips. I keep my chains filed on the aggressive side as well.

3/8 has one huge advantage

You can run square ground / filed on the saw. I ran 3/8, .050, 60dl RSLK on both my 5100S and 346XP. Smoother by a lot in all, quicker by a bit in hardwood, a lot faster in EWP and hemlock. If you run thru 5 or 6 tanks or more a day you'll notice a big difference in how your hands feel at the end of the day.

Square grind may not be for everyone and certainly not for all applications, but if you have patience, a willingness to try and learn new things, (square filing), there are a lot of advantages. You can square file .325 round chisel, but it takes forever and I found I was getting too far into the side plate for comfort.

All in what you want.

Take Care

Latest posts

Back