500i availability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just across the state line from ya, about 3.5 hours west of Missoula. The saw shop in Orofino got several 500i's and 462's in a month ago. The 462's are now all gone but there are some 500i's left. I don't remember if any 400's came in but I don't think so. I believe some 32" Light bars also came in recently, someone came in and bought one just the other day when I was in there. With how high the demand has been for them I would be surprised if there were any left, or maybe 1 or 2? Price on the 462's just went up again, they are now over $1,300 here. Can't remember the exact price on the 500i but they were definitely over $1,400. I would be curious to see if the saw shop in Lolo has gotten any shipments in recently. I haven't run the 400's yet but have ran the 462's and 500i's. I've put several hours on a couple 462's and put em through the ringer, may have melted the handlebar rubber a little on one of em'. They were fantastic for both falling and cutting out firelines. The 500i i've only used for falling and bucking and it's been pretty awesome! I haven't heard real great things as far their use for cutting out firelines or usage in high temperature situations. I've gotten a few 400's in already from contractors doing pre-commercial thinning and similar work with completely blown up top ends. Like catastrophic damage, piston grenading inside and taking out both the cylinder and crankcase. All that after just a couple months of use!

northwest saws
I've gotten a few 400's in already from contractors doing pre-commercial thinning and similar work with completely blown up top ends. Like catastrophic damage, piston grenading inside and taking out both the cylinder and crankcase. All that after just a couple months of use!

I didn't expect great things from the magnesium alloy piston.

northwest saws
I've gotten a few 400's in already from contractors doing pre-commercial thinning and similar work with completely blown up top ends. Like catastrophic damage, piston grenading inside and taking out both the cylinder and crankcase. All that after just a couple months of use!

I didn't expect great things from the magnesium alloy piston.
Damn! This deserves a whole new thread.

I'm just across the state line from ya, about 3.5 hours west of Missoula. The saw shop in Orofino got several 500i's and 462's in a month ago. The 462's are now all gone but there are some 500i's left. I don't remember if any 400's came in but I don't think so. I believe some 32" Light bars also came in recently, someone came in and bought one just the other day when I was in there. With how high the demand has been for them I would be surprised if there were any left, or maybe 1 or 2? Price on the 462's just went up again, they are now over $1,300 here. Can't remember the exact price on the 500i but they were definitely over $1,400. I would be curious to see if the saw shop in Lolo has gotten any shipments in recently. I haven't run the 400's yet but have ran the 462's and 500i's. I've put several hours on a couple 462's and put em through the ringer, may have melted the handlebar rubber a little on one of em'. They were fantastic for both falling and cutting out firelines. The 500i i've only used for falling and bucking and it's been pretty awesome! I haven't heard real great things as far their use for cutting out firelines or usage in high temperature situations. I've gotten a few 400's in already from contractors doing pre-commercial thinning and similar work with completely blown up top ends. Like catastrophic damage, piston grenading inside and taking out both the cylinder and crankcase. All that after just a couple months of use!
First I’ve heard of any Ms400 failures.

This is one of a few that came in during July. Took everything out. Still trying to figure out what the hell those contractors are doing to cause this. We think it's a combination of things from running really dull chain, getting clutch components packed full of dirt, maybe poor quality gas and running high rpms while not under much of a load. Also looks like I was right about the bars, there's one 32" light bar left haha.

Attachments

• 20220722_112426.jpg
    20220722_112426.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
This is one of a few that came in during July. Took everything out. Still trying to figure out what the hell those contractors are doing to cause this. We think it's a combination of things from running really dull chain, getting clutch components packed full of dirt, maybe poor quality gas and running high rpms while not under much of a load. Also looks like I was right about the bars, there's one 32" light bar left haha.
@dmb2613
@pioneerguy600
@North by Northwest
@bwalker
@Lightning Performance

Interesting. I would say one possibility would be it ate dirt wore out cracked then grenaded. But I dont know about these Magnesium Pistons. The time that you said they had on it dont add up though.

How about the 500’s?

Holy smokes!!!

I would say that looks like symptoms of excessive heat, which is detrimental to magnesium pistons. So you’re probably spot on with dull chains, components packed with crap, and no load high RPM. See the article below.

I suppose one might argue this means it’s not as durable… and if your definition of durability, includes very poor maintenance and improper use…. Then I guess that would be correct.

But simply sticking to the norms of chainsaw use and maintenance is probably all that’s required to get equal service life.

On the same token… these considerations might make a magnesium piston’ed saw less suitable for things like wildlands fire fighters, where an operator might require a saw to push through in a high heat environment, with a dull chain, packed full of all kinds of nasty contaminants.

But that’s a very unique situation.

https://www.highpowermedia.com/Archive/magnesium-as-a-piston-material

How about the 500’s?
Lean failures probably.

I have a potential customer on me about doing a reset after porting his saw.
Now he had one tank/toasted last year so now the ice is thin for him but he needs brute torque to pull a 28 or sometimes the 36 at a wood pile in eastern hardwoods right here. Bucking is abusive on anything constantly like a landing saw. Now he has a good new solid runner broken in with mods. The air filter has been updated and the muffler outlet. So imho doing a reset to "factory reset" it again is a step backwards on it now. Been told straight out by others being ported or not isn't the issues with them most times. I know it will adapt but convincing others isn't as easy when they get gun shy.

Look at how dirty that pic of the saw is.
Ok... maybe it had a haz "mat" covering it completely till it choked to death, ate the **** it just cooked up inside again until sizurtime... play bass,.... and they let it cool to run more till she grenades nextime in the cut.
Sound like a better senerio?
Just pick one damn it! 🤣

Edited to death

Interesting article DP thanks. Having a hard time deciphering the last post but anyways yes those guys ran the hell out those saws. Not a single one was missing an air filter but there were several that were dirty and should have been replaced earlier in their life. These guys do not do much maintenance on the saws. It's no doubt a factor, but not the sole factor I think. Running dull chain and trying to force it through, to me is a definite factor. I should add that another common theme we've seen with a few of their saws is smoked lower rod bearings on the crank.

How about the 500’s?
Haven't had these kinds of issues with the 500's. Had some weird stuff happen with some of the first batches to come in earlier this year. Also had a couple buddies off of hotshot crews say they were having issues with high temperatures, not wanting to stay running and a few smoked top ends. I've put some hours on a 500 this year and haven't had any issues. All I've done with it is falling and bucking. No exposure to excessive heat or fines from ash..

Sorry if I derailed your thread birch.

Price on the 500i went up again. Just checked yesterday, with a 20" bar it is now $1,549.99.
That’s crazy. I haven’t been back to the dealer since I picked up the 400. Which I really like so far. It would be pretty shocking if they sold all the 500i’s they had on hand. It wouldn’t be shocking if they adjusted the price upwards lol

Latest posts

Back