500i availability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Price on the 500i went up again. Just checked yesterday, with a 20" bar it is now $1,549.99.
You weren’t kidding. Stopped in this morning and made my way back to the saws. 500i’s jumped to $1549 and they got another 400 in that jumped to $1100. I paid $900 a little over a week ago.

Interesting article DP thanks. Having a hard time deciphering the last post but anyways yes those guys ran the hell out those saws. Not a single one was missing an air filter but there were several that were dirty and should have been replaced earlier in their life. These guys do not do much maintenance on the saws. It's no doubt a factor, but not the sole factor I think. Running dull chain and trying to force it through, to me is a definite factor. I should add that another common theme we've seen with a few of their saws is smoked lower rod bearings on the crank.
What size bar they running?

Holy smokes!!!

I would say that looks like symptoms of excessive heat, which is detrimental to magnesium pistons. So you’re probably spot on with dull chains, components packed with crap, and no load high RPM. See the article below.

I suppose one might argue this means it’s not as durable… and if your definition of durability, includes very poor maintenance and improper use…. Then I guess that would be correct.

But simply sticking to the norms of chainsaw use and maintenance is probably all that’s required to get equal service life.

On the same token… these considerations might make a magnesium piston’ed saw less suitable for things like wildlands fire fighters, where an operator might require a saw to push through in a high heat environment, with a dull chain, packed full of all kinds of nasty contaminants.

But that’s a very unique situation.

https://www.highpowermedia.com/Archive/magnesium-as-a-piston-material

Why does it hand grenade opposed to it seizing first?

The shop i buy from has most of the models in stock even some wrap handle models. Last year i could not get the 500i with a wrap handle so i took the regular model.The dealer told me no light bars yet still on back order. I want a 24"&28" light bar for my 400cm and 500i had to go with the standard bars due to no light available .I am located in southern newyork state .

This is one of a few that came in during July. Took everything out. Still trying to figure out what the hell those contractors are doing to cause this. We think it's a combination of things from running really dull chain, getting clutch components packed full of dirt, maybe poor quality gas and running high rpms while not under much of a load. Also looks like I was right about the bars, there's one 32" light bar left haha.
No offense but are you sure that is a picture of a MS 400? My saw does not have that hose clamp on the intake boot, it uses a few screws that bolt it directly to the cylinder. Just curious. 112FF488-35D4-4F7A-884E-457027DB9009.jpeg

Actually you might be spot on there, I think the pic I posted was of a 462. Good eye! The damage is similar though, in fact if memory serves correctly the top of the piston had also come apart some and there was what looked like small shavings all over. I'll see if I can dig up the correct photo. Can't remember what exactly had happened to that 462.

Can't remember one hundred percent but I feel like many of them were running 24" bars. Might be something that I double check on the next time i'm at the shop. From all of the mix I have dumped out from their saws, they haven't been running anything nasty or mixed on the lean side. If anything they've been running somewhat rich. Haven't really seen any carbs leaned out much either. That doesn't mean that there isn't some lean running conditions occurring though. Makes me wonder if they are continuously running high rpms even between cuts and as our zone stihl guy said, "cutting air" and the magnesium pistons just can't take that kind of stress. According to that write up that DP provided, the mag piston "has around 60% lower thermal conductivity than 2618 Aluminum, which means that without considerable effort put into cooling, the magnesium piston will tend to run much hotter than its aluminium counterpart."

Why does it hand grenade opposed to it seizing first?
That's a good question- especially considering the coefficient of thermal expansion for magnesium alloys tend to be a point or two higher than that of aluminum alloys.

My only thought on this, is, there's sufficient room for the piston to expand before the excessive heat reduces tensile strength under elongation to the point of failure.

Can't remember one hundred percent but I feel like many of them were running 24" bars. Might be something that I double check on the next time i'm at the shop. From all of the mix I have dumped out from their saws, they haven't been running anything nasty or mixed on the lean side. If anything they've been running somewhat rich. Haven't really seen any carbs leaned out much either. That doesn't mean that there isn't some lean running conditions occurring though. Makes me wonder if they are continuously running high rpms even between cuts and as our zone stihl guy said, "cutting air" and the magnesium pistons just can't take that kind of stress. According to that write up that DP provided, the mag piston "has around 60% lower thermal conductivity than 2618 Aluminum, which means that without considerable effort put into cooling, the magnesium piston will tend to run much hotter than its aluminium counterpart."
Go watch them work. Then you will know.

You ever smacked magnesium with a hammer can scatter it pretty good.

Are these cast or forged pistons. If cast the 400 is virtual hand grenade waiting for a place to happen.

All joking aside I really have no idea what im talking about.

You ever smacked magnesium with a hammer can scatter it pretty good.

Are these cast or forged pistons. If cast the 400 is virtual hand grenade waiting for a place to happen.

All joking aside I really have no idea what im talking about.

On this forum 100 hours is detonation time. No matter the brand, model, or whether it be the engine, the bar, bar nuts, mixed gas, etc. At 100 hours and 1 second, your ______ is going to blow up in your face. And if you survive that the ______ will attack you with a bowie knife. From behind.... Personally I've seen it happen 1000s of times. Really!!!

Latest posts

Back