50cc class chainsaw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Partially explains the 346XP's popularity then, with it being 79 bucks less than the 261. In Canada the 346XP is $120 more than the 261.

I wonder if everyone would be raving as much if the price difference was reversed?

If you're lucky! My local dealer sells the 261 for $579 and the 346 for a whopping $864!!! My dolmar was $479 back when I picked it up and the 260 was selling for around $650 then.

If you're lucky! My local dealer sells the 261 for $579 and the 346 for a whopping $864!!! My dolmar was $479 back when I picked it up and the 260 was selling for around $650 then.

Yeah, I don't understand the Husky prices in Canada. 346xp here is $499 and can be bought for less.

That whopping price has to include the HST... doesn't it? :msp_ohmy:

Save your money. Get a GOOD used 028 Super, and mod the muffler, including removal of the cage inside. It will run a 20" bar with gusto. Just wear ear protection.

If it doesn't have a decomp, it likely is the older 45cc version, and those are more of a top end only saw than the NE 50cc ones.
Look if it has a plgged hole for the decomp, or if it never has been drilled and tapped for one.

Nope newer saw 50cc with a primer bulb. It has just a place in the casting for the decomp but has never been drilled or tapped. At least it says it is a 50, we will see when Eric gets ahold of it. It is at his place or I would check it myself. CJ

My measly $.02 is that ergonomics should be a factor on new saw choicr. I consider myself a 'Stihl' guy. Yes I have a (crappy) husky as well but that 350 just FEELS good. Its why I want a 346 or 555 so much. I've held the 261 and 346, but really prefer the ergos of the husky. I doubt one is that much better then the other in the long run. You get used to anything. In fact one of my favorite sayings is " Beware of a man who owns only one gun. He'll know how to use it". Get away from the brand and specs on paper hype and just hold and if possible cut with as many saws as you can. Then decide.

My favorite saw is not he lightest or fastest i have in the 50cc range, its not as light as th 026 or as fast and torqey as the 5100. I don't know why exactlly but the 028 just suits ME, and thats all that matters.

My favorite saw is not he lightest or fastest i have in the 50cc range, its not as light as th 026 or as fast and torqey as the 5100. I don't know why exactlly but the 028 just suits ME, and thats all that matters.

JW, that just goes to show, there's a saw out there for everyone and what one like's does not have to be the same as what another likes.

BTW, I ran your 5100 at the GTG and really liked it, not as well as my 346xp;), but a very nice saw!

Guys, buy the saw that feels best to you! :D

Owned both a Dolmar 5100 and a NE346 xpg up until Saturday , used both quite a bit cutting pulp . got a hankering for a 555 husky and thought I would bring both to the dealer and work on a trade , both were in the truck ready to go . Before I left I put the Dolmar back in the shed and left the 346 at the dealer, I really like tjhat saw that much better! And the new 555 is waiting til I get into some popple , hate cutting balsam with a shiny new saw !:hmm3grin2orange:

Hard to argue with J.W., it's the reason I've still got my 30+ year old 028 we bought new. It had never had one thing done to it until this past fall, the rear bottom handle got a pretty good chunk broken out of it by an idiot. A member on here was nice enough to send me a like new rear handle/gas tank assembly to make it look like new again. I'll always own this 028 and will continue to use it, just as not as much as I used too and I'll be the only one running it. Too many good memories associated with the saw to let someone screw it up. IMHO it was one of the best saws Stihl ever built, there will be 028's still cutting wood for the next 20 years, it's kinda of like the B-52 , just keeps on going and going and going. There are faster,lighter and sexier 50cc saws today, but none any better.

Why use a 50cc saw that weights like a 60cc one? :msp_rolleyes:
I was lucky enuff to run several at the GTG and its an excellent saw no doubt. There were several there that just plain hauled including sunfishes he ported himself and wendells that randy ported along with a slinger ported one.
But what you don't understand is you can't force your opinion on others who have ran lots more saws than you and have their opinons too.

I agree... J.W., you should let me take that awkward ole' 5100 off yer hands for ya...
Just sayin...
:hell_boy:

Why use a 50cc saw that weights like a 60cc one? :msp_rolleyes:

Honestly, I often dont notice much difference. I mean I know my 036 is 2+ lbs heavier than my 5100, but they feel the same to me when im using them.

I only really notice differences in weight when I look at the extremes: I mean put down the 660 and pick up the 102 and I think its going to float away... :)

Honestly, I often dont notice much difference. I mean I know my 036 is 2+ lbs heavier than my 5100, but they feel the same to me when im using them.

I only really notice differences in weight when I look at the extremes: I mean put down the 660 and pick up the 102 and I think its going to float away... :)

Well, the 036 is not as much as 2 lbs heavier (pho with empty tanks), but it can of course be when they are fully loaded, depending on the bars etc you have on them.....

Latest posts

Back