50cc class chainsaw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dill

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Howdy long time lurker, first time poster.
Looking for a smaller saw than my 372, I had a 55 rancher but it seemed underpowered for what I'm doing. I'm not a pro by any means. I burn 4-5 cords of hardwood in the house per year and burn 5-7 cords of white pine and hemlock in the sugarhouse depending on the length of the season. Most of what I cut is between 10-30 inches. I have a pretty compressed window to cut so I do most of it in the winter when the farm isn't busy and when my real job is quiet.
I would like a saw that will run an 18" bar with a 3/8s chain. I've been looking primarily at a 357xp/2156 Jred, 346xp. But yesterday I stopped by the new Dolmar dealer and looked at a PS 5105. I don't know much about the Dolmar, but I liked the size and price.
Thanks in advance.

I've been cuttin 10-20 cords a year with a 346xp, bought in 2001. Like it so much, bought another last Fall. Great saw in a small package!!! I'll always have two of these! :D

357xp is a nice one also and mine has seen a lot of use in the last year and a half.

But the new 555 and 562xp look very promising, with rave reviews so far. Worth a look.

It's really easy, if you like Husky and have a good dealer go with the 346xpne, if you have a good Stihl dealer in the area go with the MS 261. Both are excellent.

I have run a Dolmar 5100, 420, and a 7900 and I personally think Dolmar is one of the best in the business for high quality at reasonable prices. The 5100 is nearly the same as the 5105 except that the 5105 has a cat muffler and I think spring assisted starter. The 5100 is amazing with 18" 3/8 and though I have not run the 5105, I would expect similar performance. It would likely be a great addition if you save the big stuff for the 372.............sounds like a great 2 saw plan for firewood. I would certainly consider dealer support. If your Dolmar dealer is up to snuff and has a good service department (not that you will need it) then I recommend continuing your research on the Dolmars.

Having said that, The Husqvarna 346xp and 359 are outstanding, dependable firewood saws. The 359 is a little heavier but easily handles 18"-20" bars and I occasionally use 24" on mine. Has lots of torque and a broad power band. The 346 is light, powerful, and very nimble however I prefer to use .325 chain on it (many different opinions on this).

The husqvarna's will cost you more but there are parts and supplies everywhere. Any of these would serve you well in the firewood and farm clean-up chores. I would put a lot of emphasis on dealers and service.

Last edited:
If 'twas me, I would get a 261 or a J-red 2153. But I am a proponent of buying used...

The 5105 and the 346 would be about equal in power. If you are older and need the decomp you may want to get the 346.
Otherwise it is about how they feel to you,price and dealer.
You can get a 3/8 on the 5105 of you want to run the same chain type and use the same file.
Also it is easier to change chains and rim with the inboard clutch on the 5105. Although Sawtroll will tell ya that the 346 balances better with the outboard clutch.:hmm3grin2orange:

I've got two 5105's and absolutley love em. I've owned 026's and 346's OE and NE, and I will stick with the 5105's. No need to say more, my opinion, don't want to start the same ol fight.

My Dolmar dealer is great, and Dolmar has been good with him. I can get Dolmar parts faster than I can the other major brands. Ordered a handle plug for my dads Stihl 210 C in October and still waiting on it.

I looked at the ms250,271 and261. I wanted a good saw for storm clean ups and firewood cutting for the stove. I went middle of the road with the 271 and so far no regrets.

Howdy long time lurker, first time poster.
Looking for a smaller saw than my 372, I had a 55 rancher but it seemed underpowered for what I'm doing. I'm not a pro by any means. I burn 4-5 cords of hardwood in the house per year and burn 5-7 cords of white pine and hemlock in the sugarhouse depending on the length of the season. Most of what I cut is between 10-30 inches. I have a pretty compressed window to cut so I do most of it in the winter when the farm isn't busy and when my real job is quiet.
I would like a saw that will run an 18" bar with a 3/8s chain. I've been looking primarily at a 357xp/2156 Jred, 346xp. But yesterday I stopped by the new Dolmar dealer and looked at a PS 5105. I don't know much about the Dolmar, but I liked the size and price.
Thanks in advance.

If you want more power than the 55, the NE 346xp is the only really good choise! :clap::clap:

Just forget other brands in the 50cc class!

The 5105 is a nice saw. I hate the 346s powerband or lack of to me. The only thing to change on the 5105 is get a 5100 muffler and retune.

Absolutely not, too clumcy to handle (in the woods), and too slow trigger responce (matters a lot when limbing).

I soon quit using the 5100S in the woods.

C'mon Trolly,

Clumsy?
Slow trigger response?

Tell me it doesn't have the power?

The 5105 is a nice saw. I hate the 346s powerband or lack of to me. The only thing to change on the 5105 is get a 5100 muffler and retune.

:agree2:

I love my 346 and it handles very well but the Dolmar just seems to have a broad power band under a load to handle the 3/8 on a 18". With .325 pitch chain................. the 346 is king! Just talking about stock saws here. But, you can't go wrong either way :biggrin:

AX

Last edited:
C'mon Trolly,

Clumsy?
Slow trigger response?

Tell me it doesn't have the power?

Power is OK, but yes to the two first questions!
Imo the 5100S is fine for felling and bucking, but not for limbing (the most time-consuming cutting in the woods).

When I tried, it also was faster with .325x7 than with .325x8 or 3/8"x7, like the 346xp, but a bit slower with all options. The chain were new (filed two strokes) 21LP and 73LP, and the same cutting attachments were used on both saws. All differenses in cutting speed were too small to matter in practical use though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back