50cc Saw and Chain Shootout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Careful there Tommy yer start'n to make some since. :laugh:

:cheers:

Me, really, ut oh, that means old age has caught up with me, I'm now a old geezer with vast knowledge. I'm gonna go lay down now and think back on the good ole days,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Me, really, ut oh, that means old age has caught up with me, I'm now a old geezer with vast knowledge. I'm gonna go lay down now and think back on the good ole days,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Tommie, AKA THE CHAMP,

Little rope-a-dope action, eh?

ole joat

Bring it on. Never stopped me from tearing apart a brand new saw:hmm3grin2orange:

Bradley,

You want a 5100 to test? It's stock. Here's the saw:
i had a few minutes this evening and i wanted to shoot some videos of 4 saws that get a lot of discussion on this board. i make no pretense about this being a fair or scientific comparison. i will tell you that all saws are wearing RS 3/8 with a fresh sharpening. the 5100 and 357 shared a 20" bar and the stihls shared a 18". that is as close to i could get to even.

i just got the 357 today. what you see in the video is the very first time i have run the saw. i checked for a little bit of burble and let it run. it has a stock muffler (not for long) and 150psi compression cold. it looks like it is a keeper. i put it on a set of accurate (checked against the postal scales at work with a 10lb weight--they were off by a .2 oz--close enough for a CS) where it weighed exactly 13lb PHO w/o fluids. that is considerably higher than the advertised weight.

i have had the 026 for a couple of months now. it sports a 1.5x.5" modded muffler and about 148psi compression cold and weighs 10lbs 12oz PHO w/o fluids. my only complaint besides the need for about .75 more HP (i hear it is easily found in the ports) is that the air filter needs to be bumped clean with each fill up. it is very easy on fuel.

the 310 is an '02 model with probably 200+hrs. it has a modded muffler. i believe the weight on this saw was ~13.5lbs PHO w/o fluids.

the 5100 was sent to me by a fellow member to try (note to owner; it is boxed in the same box it was sent in (the UPS girls may steal the stamps off of the box!!!) and will go out tomorrow). he will remain nameless unless he chooses otherwise. i was quiet suprised when the offer came to me. it didn't take long to decide to take him up on the offer. i have run it about 6hrs total. i really like the power and weight of the saw. it has a very broad powerband, cutting well at any RPM. there is no need to rev it to get it to cut. it looked like a very new saw, so it might pick up a bit with some more run time. it weighed 11lb 14oz PHO w/o fliuds. what i disliked was the thickness, from top to bottom, of the rear handle, and the large throttle trigger. i have large hands and i felt it was too large for me. some users may prefer this feel. i didn't find the filtration to be a problem. it doesn't require nearly as much attention as an 026.

enjoy the vids

http://s323.photobucket.com/albums/nn466/nmurph_01/?action=view&current=001.flv

http://s323.photobucket.com/albums/nn466/nmurph_01/?action=view&current=003.flv

http://s323.photobucket.com/albums/nn466/nmurph_01/?action=view&current=002-2.flv

http://s323.photobucket.com/albums/nn466/nmurph_01/?action=view&current=004.flv

You are free to mod the muffler if your choose.

Just askin',

ole joat

Tommie, AKA THE CHAMP,

Little rope-a-dope action, eh?

ole joat

Me, course not. I'm gonna lay down and hopefully have visions of back in the day when a cat couldn't scratch it, where ya had to pin it under the fence to keep from getting shot in the face instead of nowdays having to lay it over the fence to keep from filling up ya shoe when nature calls,haha

Me, course not. I'm gonna lay down and hopefully have visions of back in the day when a cat couldn't scratch it, where ya had to pin it under the fence to keep from getting shot in the face instead of nowdays having to lay it over the fence to keep from filling up ya shoe when nature calls,haha

Tommie,

No moore DemiDreams™?

ole joat

Last edited:
The saw test was not the real tragedy

I'm deeply saddened that the beer test ran afoul of any reasonable standards:

One of the participants was clearly out of weight class and was not a United States Citizen. It is no small fear that this was a Canuck Ringer who sneaked into the country for illicit chainsawing purposes.

It is interesting to note that the said Canuck's wife, known to have traveled to Canada on numerous occasions, provided the glassware. It is indeed telling that the face of the lone Hoser was obstructed during the so called test. This all may be a coincidence or this may amount to sleazy camera trickery on the part of a collaborator.

To my considerable horror, this malfeasance occurred in the presence of small dogs and a child. The Dogs were visible shaken by all of this.
I urge you all to consider the legal ramifications of abetting such behavior.

Govern yourselves accordingly

I'm deeply saddened that the beer test ran afoul of any reasonable standards:

One of the participants was clearly out of weight class and was not a United States Citizen. It is no small fear that this was a Canuck Ringer who sneaked into the country for illicit chainsawing purposes.

It is interesting to note that the said Canuck's wife, known to have traveled to Canada on numerous occasions, provided the glassware. It is indeed telling that the face of the lone Hoser was obstructed during the so called test. This all may be a coincidence or this may amount to sleazy camera trickery on the part of a collaborator.

To my considerable horror, this malfeasance occurred in the presence of small dogs and a child. The Dogs were visible shaken by all of this.

This really expresses my thoughts on the GTG as well. The SHAME!!;)

Maybe you Yanks need a handicapping system if you are gonna drink with Canucks.... maybe we could make an "American" pint smaller?

I really wasn't going to add fuel to the fire, but here it is.

Was the test 100% scientific? no. However we all tried to be as fair as possible, and the 346 and 5100 ran the same bar and chain. The 026 ran a slightly different setup.Not that it mattered as the 026 wasn't going to catch up to the 346 or the 5100.

The 5100 and 346 ran very close, but my muffler modded 346 came out on top every time. No, I didn't run 3/8 on my saw. Mike however did make several runs with his 5100 running 3/8 chain, and yes his cut times did get better, but not good enough to top my 346. That is why I chose not to run the 346 with 3/8 chain. Now if he beat my times with 3/8 chain, I'm pretty sure I would have swapped sprockets and ran the same 3/8 B&C.

No beer was consumed before or during the testing. I prefer to keep my appendages attached to my body.:hmm3grin2orange:

Brad I'd be more than happy to loan you any of my saws for testing, or anything else.

Like Brad said earlier If any dealer or dealers are willing to loan us one of each saw. I'm sure Me, Brad, Mike, Nik or Eric would be more than willing to conduct a more scientific test. Not that I think it's needed.

Last edited:
I really wasn't going to add fuel to the fire, but here it is.

Was the test 100% scientific? no. However we all tried to be as fair as possible, and the 346 and 5100 ran the same bar and chain. The 026 ran a slightly different setup.Not that it mattered as the 026 wasn't going to catch up to the 346 or the 5100.

The 5100 and 346 ran very close, but my muffler modded 346 came out on top every time. No, I didn't run 3/8 on my saw. Mike however did make several runs with his 5100 running 3/8 chain, and yes his cut times did get better, but not good enough to top my 346. That is why I chose not to run the 346 with 3/8 chain. Now if he beat my times with 3/8 chain, I'm pretty sure I would have swapped sprockets and ran the same B&C.

No beer was consumed before or during the testing. I prefer to keep my appendages attached to my body.:hmm3grin2orange:

Brad I'd be more than happy to loan you any of my saws for testing, or anything else.

Like Brad said earlier If any dealer or dealers are willing to loan us one of each saw. I'm sure Me, Brad, Mike, Nik or Eric would be more than willing to conduct a more scientific test. Not that I think it's needed.

or if any brewery would be.....:hmm3grin2orange:

i'm deeply saddened that the beer test ran afoul of any reasonable standards:

One of the participants was clearly out of weight class and was not a united states citizen. It is no small fear that this was a canuck ringer who sneaked into the country for illicit chainsawing purposes.

It is interesting to note that the said canuck's wife, known to have traveled to canada on numerous occasions, provided the glassware. It is indeed telling that the face of the lone hoser was obstructed during the so called test. This all may be a coincidence or this may amount to sleazy camera trickery on the part of a collaborator.

To my considerable horror, this malfeasance occurred in the presence of small dogs and a child. The dogs were visible shaken by all of this.

blasphemer

There used to be a tv commercial up here in the great white north for Blue light, kind of poking fun at some of the other popular light beers (Coors light). If I remember correctly the slogan was " If I wanted water, I would have asked for water". LMAO. I love that saying.

And as for the saws you know if you would have ran Jreds, they get the best 10% of the cylinders, so they would have smoked the compititon, and we wouldnt be here b1tchin about it:monkey::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I think you guys did a great job for what you had to work with, I think everyone realizes it would have been fantastic to have all bone stock saws. I realize that a couple of saws were modded way before hand. It's not like you muff modded it the night before to skew the tests.

You guys tested what you had to work with, I didn't expect anyone to sink a bunch of money in this to get everything back to stock. It wouldn't have mattered wether you posted the times or not there would have been arguing:laugh:

I personally don't care which saw won. I like Dolmars because they give a good bang for the buck. The 026 was the first real saw I ever used and personally like them and will have one when the price is right (the wife needs a saw:laugh:) I have never really had any real time on a Husky though I would love to. I guess I'm like Andy I just like saws.:D

Hey, I will second that thought. I like Dolmars the most probably because that's what I started off with, and the 112 served me well when I could only afford one saw. But now I seem to like them all, and a 359 or 357 might be next for me... but then there's the 5105 that might hit the market soon.... so many good saws, so many choices.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back