50cc Saw and Chain Shootout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looks like this Saturday is the day.

As of right now, it looks like the 260, 346, and 5100 will be competing in a head to head "round robin" style competition using 3/8ths and .325 chain to give a baseline for some questions that have long begged to be answered.

These saws will be stock, or VERY close, running new factory chain.

Thanks to Fatguy for graciously hosting this debacle......er, I mean competition, and Erick for agreeing to participate with his KILLER 260 PRO Stihl, Andyshine77 for donating the wood and bringing one FINE 346 Husky, and Brad for doing times and vids, and making sure we have everything we need to do this.

Details to follow :cheers:

Mike

Anxiously awaiting the results. I would enter my bone stock MS270 but I'd hate to smoke all those high priced saws an embarass you all.:greenchainsaw:

lol

i didnt hear mention anything on the 361 i think it can compete in the 50cc class i think it might do well?:chainsaw:

it does sound very cool. id love to watch and maybe play to, ill be awaiting the very cool vid and looking forward to 3/8 325 results

lol

i didnt hear mention anything on the 361 i think it can compete in the 50cc class i think it might do well?:chainsaw:

it does sound very cool. id love to watch and maybe play to, ill be awaiting the very cool vid and looking forward to 3/8 325 results

In that case I think the Husky guys would want 357/359 (60cc) in there too.

but the huskies would be more competive running in the 70cc class:greenchainsaw:

yes lots of vids. .

im just jokin about the 60cc saws

I have 400 blueberry bucks burning holes in my wallet and ya go and do this.

I'm down to another 346 or a Dolly 5100 to have something different, and almost made up my mind.

Now this.

I hate you guys. Ya know that right.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

another thing which im sure has already been thought of, but wouldnt it be cool if while doing the .325 vs 3/8 test to also compare the time differences (example, make said timed cut with 260 with 325 then make timed cut with 260 with 3/8. and see which saw actually has the biggest variations) im very excited for the results on this. i truley wish i could enter my 026 ^_^

Strato saw

It would also be interesting if someone happened to have a strato saw there to compare, say a homeowner Husky 450. If these strato saws really do have a different powerband that creates some extra torque (X-Torq - reality or hype?), then the shoot out would quantify any difference real quick.

Terry, IMO if you look at where the Strato saws fatten up the powerband you should never be cutting at that low a speed anyway, even with the timber we cut here.

Torque vs horsepower

Rick, you may be right, but if the stato saw will put out more torque (albeit at a lower RPM), that may make it comparable to another saw that puts out less torque, but at a higher RPM (however putting out more horsepower)

Of course, horsepower is a measurement of doing work. So prima facie the higher horsepower saw should perform more work. However, I've wondered about the torque issue in the cut and whether or not there is a significant difference in speed of the cut. The difference may be more evident with the 3/8" chain.

If there is a significant difference between a conventional design and the newer strato design (5%, 10%,?), then the shootout could quantify that difference.

It's been a while but I did a 50cc "shootout" here between my Husqvarna 55, Echo CS-510 and Shindiawa 488. To my surprise, the 55 and CS-510 were dead even. I don't remember the exact numbers, but the 488 got bested out by a small margin.

I did the testing in a nice straight Cherry log, timed 5 cuts for each saw and repeated the testing twice. It would have been great to have some help and video the testing as well.

Looking forward to seeing the results of these three saws. The 346 gets my vote, but I have a hunch the 5100 will take the prize......Cliff

A "battle of the saws" like this isn't very conclusive unless you have a few models of each saw. Otherwise, you are just comparing one example of each model out of thousands. You can't say that "the 346 beats the 260." You can only say "that particular 346 beat that particular 260". Which saw is fully broken in? Which guy leaned his out a little bit too much? Which guy cheats a little bit? There's always more variables to skew the results.

You can end up with the same result if you were to run 5 of the same model. Most would be close, but one would likely beat the others somewhat consistantly. Anyone who has run multiple examples of the same model saw knows what I mean.

I'm only putting this out there, because while this shootout will be lot's of fun, no one should get all worked up about who wins and who loses. (I'd bet that most of the numbers will be pretty close anyway.) Either way, you guys are gonna have a blast. :cheers:

Last edited:
the 3/8 325 will be the biggest thing we get from this shootout

Back