50cc Saw and Chain Shootout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BIL Build 026 may not be ready in time. I just got word that there was some miscommunication with the supplier and the P&C isn't going out until this morning. If it's only coming from KY, it still may be here in time though.

Anyhow, I've got 2 strato-charged saws in my line-up, pretty impressive to say the least. Both are 40cc, and they have plenty of rpm's, and a broad power curve. Even though they pull quite well down low, they are still happier in the upper rpm range. I'd love to see an entry around 50cc for comparison, but don't think any of those models currently available are going to run with the current contenders.....Cliff

Low end grunt is overrated, but upper mid range grunt is very helpful for some kinds of cutting, esp with long bars.

On the subject of stratos, I now have a redmax gz4000 (40cc) which I am very impressed with stock. It's a little wood eater with pretty eager midrange and upper range. It blows away my 339ne for now, although the 339 is at the dealer right now (warranty as it's only a couple months old) getting a new carb in the hope it will run smoother and stronger both.

If they can get the weight down a little more on the stratos, I think they will eventually be the way to go for those of us that chose to run stock saws.

In the upcoming gtg, I predict stock the 5100 will come out on top, and modded the 346NE will prevail.

.325 will be a little faster than round ground 3/8, although fresh square 3/8 would be faster yet (I've compared for myself in the past). In fact I've gone to 3/8 square on my ms220 (which runs a 20 inch bar) as it was faster in green wood than .325.

Last edited:
another thing which im sure has already been thought of, but wouldnt it be cool if while doing the .325 vs 3/8 test to also compare the time differences (example, make said timed cut with 260 with 325 then make timed cut with 260 with 3/8. and see which saw actually has the biggest variations) im very excited for the results on this. i truley wish i could enter my 026 ^_^

LMAO! Brilliant post there big guy.

Kansas

Low end grunt is overrated, but upper mid range grunt is very helpful for some kinds of cutting, esp with long bars.

On the subject of stratos, I now have a redmax gz4000 (40cc) which I am very impressed with stock. It's a little wood eater with pretty eager midrange and upper range. It blows away my 339ne for now, although the 339 is at the dealer right now (warranty as it's only a couple months old) getting a new carb in the hope it will run smoother and stronger both.

If they can get the weight down a little more on the stratos, I think they will eventually be the way to go for those of us that chose to run stock saws.

In the upcoming gtg, I predict stock the 5100 will come out on top, and modded the 346NE will prevail.

.325 will be a little faster than round ground 3/8, although fresh square 3/8 would be faster yet (I've compared for myself in the past). In fact I've gone to 3/8 square on my ms220 (which runs a 20 inch bar) as it was faster in green wood than .325.

Brads 260 modded should come out close too the top if not the top....

how many saws are you bringing Brad?
We have Andy's 346xp, Mike's 5100 and hopefully 026, Erick's 260, my 026 and 361.

Hey why don't you just call this thing a last minute GTG, I think a stock 460 and stock 7900 comparo would be the dog's bullocks also:)

Remember, I live in a cul-de-sac. My neighbors just adore my chainsaw hobby....:cheers:

LOL,, oh I bet they do!!!! Well you better contact them and tell them it is a chainsaw block party, run what ya bring and drink what ya bring:cheers:

Hey Frank!! it's not the Saturday afternoon stuff they mind so much. It's more the 10:00 pm, me in my underwear, standing on my back deck, revving a chainsaw and laughing like a maniac because I finally got it running on a Tuesday sort of thing that pisses 'em off. Or the 6:30am Sunday morning, I just got a new toy and I gotta hear it run.

Last edited:
You could always move it up to my place if you want. I've got 1 acre here and a log stand. Just no good wood for testing. Through Andy's Poplar logs in the back of your truck.

Unless you want something else, I'll just be bringing my 028 Super, 357XP, and that OE 346XP of my friends.

You could always move it up to my place if you want. I've got 1 acre here and a log stand. Just no good wood for testing. Through Andy's Poplar logs in the back of your truck.

Unless you want something else, I'll just be bringing my 028 Super, 357XP, and that OE 346XP of my friends.

I don't mind having it here at all. I certainley hope it didn't come accross like that. I'm more central to all who are coming. No I think that's great as far as saws go. I would like to see another 5100 though. BTW, if you don't have anything heavy on your saw buck, go ahead and bring it as well. This way we can test in 2 sizes of wood without having to swap 'em out.

Last edited:
I've got my new $10 stopwatch from Walmart ready to go:)

5803024-1.jpg

Back