50cc Saw and Chain Shootout

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"That is what I think as well - low end grunt is highly overrated!"

+1

I still remember when the Husqvarna and Stihl upright P/C models started showing up around here in the mid to late 1970's. The Mac's, Homelite's and other "grunt" saws immediately found their way to the top of the endangered species list.

My brother showed up around 1980 with a new PM800 or 850, can't remember exactly which one. I know it had a compression release, rear spark plug, loud, and SLOW. While he was trying to "grunt" thru some big Oak, my Husqvarna was making almost three cuts to one with it's strong top end power.

We pissed with that saw all day, trying every possible carburetor setting to get it to "rpm". He ended up trading it off for a Husqvarna, he now ownes about a dozen Husqvarna's from the 2100 down to a nice 161.

Anyhow, I've got 2 strato-charged saws in my line-up, pretty impressive to say the least. Both are 40cc, and they have plenty of rpm's, and a broad power curve. Even though they pull quite well down low, they are still happier in the upper rpm range. I'd love to see an entry around 50cc for comparison, but don't think any of those models currently available are going to run with the current contenders.....Cliff

A "battle of the saws" like this isn't very conclusive unless you have a few models of each saw. Otherwise, you are just comparing one example of each model out of thousands. You can't say that "the 346 beats the 260." You can only say "that particular 346 beat that particular 260". Which saw is fully broken in? Which guy leaned his out a little bit too much? Which guy cheats a little bit? There's always more variables to skew the results.

You can end up with the same result if you were to run 5 of the same model. Most would be close, but one would likely beat the others somewhat consistantly. Anyone who has run multiple examples of the same model saw knows what I mean.

I'm only putting this out there, because while this shootout will be lot's of fun, no one should get all worked up about who wins and who loses. (I'd bet that most of the numbers will be pretty close anyway.) Either way, you guys are gonna have a blast. :cheers:

I can assure you every effort will be made to be fair and unbiased. This isn't a science experiment or R&D for NASA, just real saws, real wood, and really fun.

346,260 vs 5100

1. Use the same bar and chain for all three powerheads.

2. Use one mixture of premix for all three powerheads.

3. have three different people run all three saws.

lol

i didnt hear mention anything on the 361 i think it can compete in the 50cc class i think it might do well?:chainsaw:

In that case I think the Husky guys would want 357/359 (60cc) in there too.

I can bring a new, un-broken-in 357XP to compare to Niks well broken in 361 if the guys choose to branch out and test some 60cc saws. Niks been wanting to run this saw anyway.

I'll be curious to see if you come up with the same results I did, Comparing .325 to 3/8's on 50cc class.

Either way it looks to be a fun day for ya'll. Enjoy!!

Want to through a nice 028 Super in the mix? That's another favorite of many, even if dated. I've never cut with this saw either.

I don't have a pic of it by itself.
597004557_ek29G-M.jpg

Last edited:
A "battle of the saws" like this isn't very conclusive unless you have a few models of each saw. Otherwise, you are just comparing one example of each model out of thousands. You can't say that "the 346 beats the 260." You can only say "that particular 346 beat that particular 260". Which saw is fully broken in? Which guy leaned his out a little bit too much? Which guy cheats a little bit? There's always more variables to skew the results.

You can end up with the same result if you were to run 5 of the same model. Most would be close, but one would likely beat the others somewhat consistantly. Anyone who has run multiple examples of the same model saw knows what I mean.

I'm only putting this out there, because while this shootout will be lot's of fun, no one should get all worked up about who wins and who loses. (I'd bet that most of the numbers will be pretty close anyway.) Either way, you guys are gonna have a blast. :cheers:

Well said.

I'm particularly interested to see the outcome of the .325" versus 3/8" aspect of the comparison.

Want to through a nice 028 Super in the mix? That's another favorite of many, even if dated. I've never cut with this saw either.

I don't have a pic of it by itself.
597004557_ek29G-M.jpg
How about a 262xp to tie up the loose ends?:hmm3grin2orange:

I put a timer on Lisa's shopping list for when she goes to the store this afternoon. Andy, which one do you have and where did you get it? I've been wanting to pick one up.

I've got the battery in the camcorder charging. I'll bring a tripod for it.

Latest posts

Back