50cc ultra light, dancing with the devil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmessenger

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Nathan from up north Iowa was down at my place a few months ago for a trade so I took the opportunity to load his trunk with a few boxes of Stihl 010, 011 and 009 parts. As a punishment ...........I mean as a return favor he mailed me a dissembled Jred 520sp. I've heard this saw called everything in the book so why not see for myself how bad it really is.

The first obvious thing I noted was there are lots of opportunities for air leaks, the impulse line just plugs into a hole drilled into the crank cast, the upper crankcase half needs special care to get it sealed back up. There are also some real rube goldberg design details not in the same league as a mini mac mind you but there none the less. The basic machine work looked good so I thought I'd give it a go. I bought a new ring, crank seals and impulse line, when reassembling everything got gooped with Threebond, and let set overnight to cure.

The chain brake band was gone and to remove the clutch cover requires the starter side chain brake bolt to be removed so I just checked the whole bit.

So here's the good new it weights 9.6 dry, I had an 18" poulan mount bar that required just bit of work with a file to mount and I set this up with a rim drive and 3/8 lp chain, total weight dry is 11.5 lbs. This is by far the lightest 50cc saw I've owned and I've have a bunch, my 026 with a Rollomatic 18" bar weights 13.5 lbs very light by most standards.

The saw starts / runs great and makes good power, anti-vibe is good and the saw being so light handles well, this might be a keeper.

520sp.jpg

520.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking saw.I just bought a 525 ,and although the basic consensus is its a turd,Im happy with mine running a 16" Oregon Pro-Lite.I would pick it up to use all day over the 028.But I havent had to tear into mine yet.I guess the worst point I see is having to take the chain brake loose to take the clutch cover off.

Nice looking saw.I just bought a 525 ,and although the basic consensus is its a turd,Im happy with mine running a 16" Oregon Pro-Lite.I would pick it up to use all day over the 028.But I havent had to tear into mine yet.I guess the worst point I see is having to take the chain brake loose to take the clutch cover off.

I have a stock 028 WB (not a super) and I'd say the 520 would kick it but not the 026.

Latest posts

Back