5100 just burned up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There sure won't be any non-cat 346's with a 2010 build date. I'm sure there won't be any 372's, (as we know them), with 2010 dates either. Not sure when we will see the reported strato 372. (But I'm sure loading up on the regular ones).

The way I understand things, that build date is the critical item here. More so than when they are brought in to the US. So, this will be quite a big transition year with models coming and going. I know the 357/359 is on it's way out, being replaced by the 560/562XP. Don't know what's in store for the 390 and 395. Perhaps with the smaller numbers of larger saws, they can still use credits to bring some in, but I don't really know the details there.

There is a new saw price list supposed to be posted this week. I don't expect an increase, I'm really curious as to what will or won't be on the list. (Price increases are usually preceded by a memo from the sales team. They love it as way to generate orders. LOL)

No kidding, build date will be critical if they decide to police the dealer.

They gave us a book yesterday detailing some of the new laws now in effect. The list is enourmous. Heres one called "Defeat Devices"

"You may not knowingly manufacture, sell, offer to sell, or install, any part that bypasses, impairs, defeats, or disables the controlled emissions. The Epa may assess a civil penalty up to $3,750 for each part in voilation"

That pretty covers and knocks out completely any alterations to the unit or in other words installing open mufflers, fully adjustable carbs on a unit that is 2010 EPA certified.

There is one good part to all of this. Epa cannot and will not be going out in the woods checking saws. They won't be showing up at every dealer. They won't be asking owners who altered your saw. What they will be doing is scoping out one huge test catch for all the rest to see. Rest assured someone is gonna get nailed bigtime just to be used as an example. How high can they fine you, try $270,000. Tats alot of mula, yikess.

Tommy, I wounder if the carb companys will stop producing the older model carbs due to EPA restrictions, sort'of a way of getting rid of the older models of OPE:cry:.

No, the older units will be fine and by law parts must be available 10 years after production stops. The thing is you can't take that good old adjustable carb and sock it on a new 2010 epa certified unit...

i love this thread, we have taken the blame off the saw owner, the dealer and dolmar and placed it rite in the lap of the EPA.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Sos someone coming after me when i mod that new 2010 dolmar 5105 i just bought? Have to hide it behind the other saws maybe they wont see it.

Wonder now how many companies are going to stay in business of keep on selling these products! Because routinely replacing burnt p&c's is costing the companies money. Can't wait for 4cycle to arrive! :laugh:

i love this thread, we have taken the blame off the saw owner, the dealer and dolmar and placed it rite in the lap of the EPA.

Not true, really!

This issue appeared a long time before the 2010 EPA rules were official! :blob2::blob2:

Isn't there some Deadmax/Musky threads for you to visit?...If not go hop back under the little rock you've been sleeping under for months....You're not a Dolmar guy anyway so why bother here trolltoad! :hmm3grin2orange:

Back