5100 just burned up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it my imagination or did a forum member post at the beginning of this thread about removing the limiter caps from an ms362 after 1/1/2010?? Isn’t that a clear violation of the new federal law?? I wonder if the EPA police will be reading this public forum. I can hear the black helicopters circling over the old dominion now.

Is it my imagination or did a forum member post at the beginning of this thread about removing the limiter caps from an ms362 after 1/1/2010?? Isn’t that a clear violation of the new federal law?? I wonder if the EPA police will be reading this public forum. I can hear the black helicopters circling over the old dominion now.

You should call the Epa and tell em Cent. Hell you might get famous. The tree hack from NE makes news,LOLOLOL

Naw, I leave ratting to higher beings and know one listen to me anyway. Besides, this forum needs its humor and you are one funny cat. Keep it real, T-man.

Naw, I leave ratting to higher beings and know one listen to me anyway. Besides, this forum needs its humor and you are one funny cat. Keep it real, T-man.

Well shoot Cent you ruin my fun. I was informed on Feb 2, 2010 what I could and could not do. I was looking forward to seeing you in court,LOLOLOL

Cent just so you know if the EPA ever reads this site and see's all this modding advertising for profit going on they won't be interested in me, I'll be small potatoes, they will be going for the big fish, not little ole me,hehe

Cent just so you know if the EPA ever reads this site and see's all this modding advertising for profit going on they won't be interested in me, I'll be small potatoes, they will be going for the big fish, not little ole me,hehe

Well, If they notice those pics of your collection of pre-EPA Stihl polluters hiding in your shed, they just may decide to take them away from ya... no dealer should be stocking on them oldies :):)

Well, If they notice those pics of your collection of pre-EPA Stihl polluters hiding in your shed, they just may decide to take them away from ya... no dealer should be stocking on them oldies :):)

Since I'm closer and can go get 'em, want to split his collection up?:D:D:D

Since I'm closer and can go get 'em, want to split his collection up?:D:D:D

I got first dibbs....EPA prefers to ship them out of da country, so I heard. Too many folks running ole saws in the US, Obama wants you folks to buy new saws to get the economy going again...., and if they burn up sooner because of EPA, even the better.....:monkey:

I got first dibbs....EPA prefers to ship them out of da country, so I heard. Too many folks running ole saws in the US, Obama wants you folks to buy new saws to get the economy going again...., and if they burn up sooner because of EPA, even the better.....:monkey:

you heard of cash for clunkers rite?

From the big horses mouth ALL 2cycle power equipment sold in the USA today is running leaner than ever. This includes all makes. Why, to meet Epa standards. They aren't running leaner than they need to be, only lean enough to pass Epa. This notion these 5100's are leaner than everyone else just isn't true. The exhaust is only allowed to emitt so much pollution and no more. They too are running just lean enough to meet Epa, not a hair more. The assumtion the 5100 isn't surviving as well as the rest might be a true statement but they aren't running any leaner than any other make.

So taking in everything he said its obvious they, meaning all makes, are running leaner than ever before because they have to. The makers have no choice in the matter if they want to sell their products in the USA.

Excellent info there Tom. But there is one distinction I want to add that is very important to this dicusssion. And that is, there is a difference between "Lean" and "Clean". I know I'm splitting hairs here, and it sounds more confusing since the two words rhyme, but stick with me here fellas.

It's true that all saws from all companies must be equally CLEAN in order to pass the EPA test. That does not mean the same thing as saying that all saws must be just as LEAN as one another. The test measures emissions, ie how "clean" is the saw's exhaust. The test does not measure how "lean" the saw must be set to achieve the acceptable clean rating. Some saws, have an easier time meeting the required emissions than others. Some saws have cat mufflers and some are strato charged to help them do that. Strato charging drops a saws emissions up to 60%. A saw like the 5100, and there are others, with neither a cat nor strato charging must rely on just the screwdriver.

Now rather than continue to pick on the 5100, let's take a look at the Husky 346. It has arrived off and on during the last two years with and without the dredded cat muffler. Everyone here naturally wants one with the regular muffler. But: a saw without a cat muffler obviously has to be leaned out more at the factory than a cat equipped saw in order to pass the emissions test. So, which one is more likely to come out of the box too lean? A little something to think about, eh?

In some ways, with the arrival of the 5105, this entire debate about the 5100 is a moot point.

nope, let's hear it..

the once was this ol' boy, he had real nice hair. :yourock:

he had this ol' shed out behind his house, it didnt look like much but it was his.

he had a bunch of old saws in that shed, most of em' $thill's, maybe not the fastest saws but they where good saws.

along comes this big shark, the EPA, says your a bad dude and a global warmer.

with the modern day AL in the whitehouse he jumps on an opportunity to push his green agenda, stimulate the economy, and look like a hero.

Pre epa baby, like a 57 Chevy,hehehe

Excellent info there Tom. But there is one distinction I want to add that is very important to this dicusssion. And that is, there is a difference between "Lean" and "Clean". I know I'm splitting hairs here, and it sounds more confusing since the two words rhyme, but stick with me here fellas.

It's true that all saws from all companies must be equally CLEAN in order to pass the EPA test. That does not mean the same thing as saying that all saws must be just as LEAN as one another. The test measures emissions, ie how "clean" is the saw's exhaust. The test does not measure how "lean" the saw must be set to achieve the acceptable clean rating. Some saws, have an easier time meeting the required emissions than others. Some saws have cat mufflers and some are strato charged to help them do that. Strato charging drops a saws emissions up to 60%. A saw like the 5100, and there are others, with neither a cat nor strato charging must rely on just the screwdriver.

Now rather than continue to pick on the 5100, let's take a look at the Husky 346. It has arrived off and on during the last two years with and without the dredded cat muffler. Everyone here naturally wants one with the regular muffler. But: a saw without a cat muffler obviously has to be leaned out more at the factory than a cat equipped saw in order to pass the emissions test. So, which one is more likely to come out of the box too lean? A little something to think about, eh?

In some ways, with the arrival of the 5105, this entire debate about the 5100 is a moot point.

Good point. How clean verses how lean is different. The Epa is only concerned about how clean. How the unit achieves it they don't care. Speaking of the 346 I would assume with the new rules in place that open style muffler is no longer a option as of 1/1/10. They gave us a list of what all we the dealers can do far as repairing units. Should a saw come in like a 346 or whatever that has a cat muffler on it and it needs to be replaced a cat muffler must go back on it or we the dealer just broke the law. Same with carbs. It was a usual thing to put a WT194 carb on a MS260 if the customer wanted a fully adjustable carb. Now he will have to buy it and put it on himself and topping that if we know what he is going to do with it we're not even suppose to sell it to him for we know its breaking the law, we are considered guilty as him IF we know. ME, I know nothing,LOL

Wow, this thread won't seem to die. Since its rolling along I'll toss a post of truth in it and maybe it will be put to bed.

I sat today and actually listened to all this talk about lean saws from someone who actually knew what they were talking about. Yes one of the main guys from Stihl covered fast saws out the box, lean running conditions and new PhaseIII Epa emissions.

From the big horses mouth ALL 2cycle power equipment sold in the USA today is running leaner than ever. This includes all makes. Why, to meet Epa standards. They aren't running leaner than they need to be, only lean enough to pass Epa. This notion these 5100's are leaner than everyone else just isn't true. The exhaust is only allowed to emitt so much pollution and no more. They too are running just lean enough to meet Epa, not a hair more. The assumtion the 5100 isn't surviving as well as the rest might be a true statement but they aren't running any leaner than any other make.

Stihl has raised their rpm levels for most all of thier saws to 14,000 rpms, the 880 being an exception. The motors have been slightly altered with different port timing, carb changes for fuel delivery all in the name of meeting Epa standards.

Stihl has a minus/plus range of 1000 rpms meaning some saws may be hitting well over 14 grand and still be considered witihn the rpm range of the saw.

He went on to say this. If by chance we get a saw out the box that will not idle correctly, will not rev up correctly without richening it don't sell it, return it to them and sell the customer another saw. They do not want anymore limit caps pulled to richen up a saw. The Epa testing is done at WOT, not idle, not during rev up, but WOT. That limit cap is already set at the richest setting the saw can emitt pollution allowed by Epa. To remove it and richen the saw breaks federal law as of 1/1/10. The fine could be as high as $37,500 if caught. This puts the dealer in the clear should the saw fail due to extreme rpms. By law the dealer is no longer allowed to richen up a saw out the box because that saw is already emitting what the Epa will allow. In other words by law its already set as rich as it can be by law.

Now the clincher. As I said before there is a certain amount of what is called acceptable failure. With these new rules in play they know there will be more failures and they understand this. He made clear its much more important now to educate the customer. Dull chains, bad fuel, not knowing how to operate a saw properly is now going to kill more saws than ever before. The older and slower saws would survive these things, the new ones will be more accpetable to failure because of these things. So today the dealers new job is to educate the customer all the ifs and whys to maintaining his fuel, his chains and using some sense when running a saw. The new saws of today aren't nearly as forgiving as the older ones due to new Epa regulations.

So taking in everything he said its obvious they, meaning all makes, are running leaner than ever before because they have to. The makers have no choice in the matter if they want to sell their products in the USA. Me I get a break, no more pulling caps but spending more time to explain how critical the customer knows everything he needs to know about a product that is now very unforgiving compared to days past. I look forward to replacing a few more cylinders and pistons, hell I enjoy it. Just hate the frown I see when they walk in but love that smile when I say don't worry about it, its covered under warranty..

Thank You! :cheers::cheers:

Good post - but sad news.......:bang::bang::censored:

:agree2:

One question though; I thought they used EPA "points" earned on other machines to put out some non-cat 346xps and some other "goodies". I also thought that Stihl and others were doing about the same thing.
Isn't that allowed anymore)? :confused:

Last edited:
Good point. How clean verses how lean is different. The Epa is only concerned about how clean. How the unit achieves it they don't care. Speaking of the 346 I would assume with the new rules in place that open style muffler is no longer a option as of 1/1/10. They gave us a list of what all we the dealers can do far as repairing units. Should a saw come in like a 346 or whatever that has a cat muffler on it and it needs to be replaced a cat muffler must go back on it or we the dealer just broke the law. Same with carbs. It was a usual thing to put a WT194 carb on a MS260 if the customer wanted a fully adjustable carb. Now he will have to buy it and put it on himself and topping that if we know what he is going to do with it we're not even suppose to sell it to him for we know its breaking the law, we are considered guilty as him IF we know. ME, I know nothing,LOL

There sure won't be any non-cat 346's with a 2010 build date. I'm sure there won't be any 372's, (as we know them), with 2010 dates either. Not sure when we will see the reported strato 372. (But I'm sure loading up on the regular ones).

The way I understand things, that build date is the critical item here. More so than when they are brought in to the US. So, this will be quite a big transition year with models coming and going. I know the 357/359 is on it's way out, being replaced by the 560/562XP. Don't know what's in store for the 390 and 395. Perhaps with the smaller numbers of larger saws, they can still use credits to bring some in, but I don't really know the details there.

There is a new saw price list supposed to be posted this week. I don't expect an increase, I'm really curious as to what will or won't be on the list. (Price increases are usually preceded by a memo from the sales team. They love it as way to generate orders. LOL)

Tommy, I wounder if the carb companys will stop producing the older model carbs due to EPA restrictions, sort'of a way of getting rid of the older models of OPE:cry:.

Back