5100s chain size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolmar4life

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just bought a new 5100s...LOVE THE SAW...hate the chain...whats the best size chain for this saw....I like full chisel chains...was thinking about goin to a 3/8 from the .325 but unsure...

I run 3/8 on mine, but I only run a 16" bar. Most of the 5100 sold by my dealer are sent out the door with 3/8" and a 18" bar. The 5100 is an awesome saw with the nuts to run the 3/8 chain, and quicker than the .325 too.

ok cool...looking to get a 7900 in a month also...This saw is pretty mental for only being 50cc

Very mental for only being 50cc....one would think it is in the 60cc range for the power characteristics it has.

There is only one sprocket in 3/8 for the small spline...it is a 3/8-7T small spline. It is about the same size as a .325-8T

Freakingstang said:
... The 5100 is an awesome saw with the nuts to run the 3/8 chain, and quicker than the .325 too.
Not nesesserily, if you consider an 8-pin sprocket with the .325 vs a 7-pin 3/8" - they generate about the same chain speed, and there are more cutters on the .325 chain. :blob2:

Ooops, I didn't see your last post before I posted.......

SawTroll said:
Not nesesserily, if you consider an 8-pin sprocket with the .325 vs a 7-pin 3/8" - they generate about the same chain speed, and there are more cutters on the .325 chain. :blob2:

Works great in theory....The 325 chain I tried with a 8 pin was 1/2 second slower than the 3/8 with a 7T.

I won't own a saw that can't pull 3/8 chain faster than .325

Freakingstang said:
Works great in theory....The 325 chain I tried with a 8 pin was 1/2 second slower than the 3/8 with a 7T.

I won't own a saw that can't pull 3/8 chain faster than .325

Try them with a shorter bar, or in smaller wood, and the outcome could be different.

But I really agree with you - I would take 3/8" if the saw is capable of it.....:cheers:

SawTroll said:
Try them with a shorter bar, or in smaller wood, and the outcome could be different.

But I really agree with you - I would take 3/8" if the saw is capable of it.....:cheers:

Both had 16" bars, in 8x8 ash. Tried to make a fair comparison. It is hard to find 13" bars in these parts. I found a GB on ebay for my 5100, but it is 058 gauge....I'm trying to stick with stricly 050 for uniformity.

I understand your logic. IT SHOULD CUT QUICKER with the .325, but my experience tells me it doesn't. Something about the cutters and possibly chip evacuation that slows down the "faster" turning .325 chain

Freakingstang said:
Both had 16" bars, in 8x8 ash. Tried to make a fair comparison. It is hard to find 13" bars in these parts. I found a GB on ebay for my 5100, but it is 058 gauge....I'm trying to stick with stricly 050 for uniformity.

I understand your logic. IT SHOULD CUT QUICKER with the .325, but my experience tells me it doesn't. Something about the cutters and possibly chip evacuation that slows down the "faster" turning .325 chain
For a saw like the 5100 the .325 has to be Stihl RS with its large cutters, to give the .325 a fair chance, I think.

Why do you guys think a 50 cc saw NEEDS to have whimpy .325" chain???? The PS 5100 with 3/8" 18" driven by 3/8 - 7 rim sprocket OUTCUTS .325" plus the tooth is more durable and 3/8" has much more variety of tooth styles.. So forget the elux rules.. this saw has the torque to handle 3/8"

Scott

Dolmar4life said:
ok cool...so where do i get the sprocket?

Dolmar part #026 224 010 3/8-7 sm rim sprocket
Oregon part #18720 3/8-7 sm rim sprocket

I have them in stock, you should be able to pick them up at any full service saw shop.

Scott

Back