5100s what seems to be timing issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpowerd

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got this saw together and it feels like ive got a spun flywheel. Fires for a split second, floods quickly, feel the misfire in pulling the saw over, so bad it will set the brake. Flywheel has very very little play on the key nub, but ive tried advance, retard and center of this miniscule bit of play. Plug sparks brightly, but i suspect module. Its from a 5100s with quite a bit a use on it. Is it possible its module, are they known to act as discribed? Thanks

If it's getting easier too much fuel, the metering needle could be stuck open.
They did have issues with coils/modules, plus the modules are different if easy start or not, the AM coils also have this issue sometimes, spark ok but not correct timing. Its a pig of a job to even sort which is correct OE coil as they had a few updated part numbers due to issues

were the coils OEM or AM? The coils are mated to the flywheel, can you get a paired flywheel and coil to try from somebody from a known running saw to eliminate that problem? I had a similar problem on a 5030 ( similar to 5105) and as soon as I fitted the correct OEM coil it was solved. Do you know history of saw?

Saw given to me after it got smashed, in a box, missing odds and ends including coil. Saw had maybe 3 hrs run time on it, so i picked up complete parts saw here to get it back into service. The inside of smashed saw is pretty new, 200lbs compression.

Used parts saw ign mod and flywheel. I should have stated i swapped the flywheels not the coils, oops. Both flywheels are identical... and they both act the same.

Ive been calling around local saw shops to find another without luck, guess im going to throw another 30 bucks at it for an AM coil

you should be able to find a AM coil for less than 30, did the saw have easystart? Coils are different and no aftermarket ones are not available. If coil does not work you can send it back ( if you get it from Amazon) The problem is these AM sometimes give these weird symptoms and it throws you off,

you should be able to find a AM coil for less than 30, did the saw have easystart? Coils are different and no aftermarket ones are not available. If coil does not work you can send it back ( if you get it from Amazon) The problem is these AM sometimes give these weird symptoms and it throws you off,
Im looking into easystart and trying to find what it is, and how to tell. Btw, coil is black

if you look at the parts diagram you can see, easystart starter cover is a little wider and has the extra spring, The coil has different timing to make starting at lower rpm, the problem is most AM coils are black! Also the part numbers have changed a couple of times, when you look up the part number is says NLA , but that is because it's been replaced by a new number

To add to the coil confusion, link suggests a one size fits all type of coil, yet ipl states specific pn for different series saws.

Guess its time to dig in chasing part numbers and superseded part numbers, along with finding ages of both saws. And i suspect theyre both 09 models witch may add to the confusion as thats the same year 5105 came out.

The p.o. of parts saw said it never ran, just purchased used and shelved. Piston severely warn, ring stuck, i suspect saw was worn out, and possibly tried to fix with another coil, as it had a new plug in it also. And if p.o. is reading this i am not in any way unhappy with purchase, i got it for a parts saw and thats exactly what i used it for. All the parts i needed more than covered cost of the saw.

Now i just need to get to the bottom of this coil issue... at 200lbs ive got very few kickback pulls left in me

181 143 103 is the number for the grey coil

Number on current coil is cdim 100/10, which i find crosses to a

100/10#181143206​

Just posting for reference

I had thought of timing light, and yes then shaving key... didnt want to cross that bridge quite yet, really like to decipher these odd coil crosses and get the correct one first, if possible.

I appreciate all the help

Back