511A Grinder - Improvements / Tweaks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lookin for a Silvey for that.......me and everyone else. Lol
The Silvey one takes a while to setup in the time it takes to setup I can have an Oregon set and burnt half way through a 115 driver semi skip. We have an Oregon all it does it rakers and honestly about all it's good for since it'll do 3/8, 404 or 3/4 all with the same unit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The Silvey one takes a while to setup in the time it takes to setup I can have an Oregon set and burnt half way through a 115 driver semi skip. We have an Oregon all it does it rakers and honestly about all it's good for since it'll do 3/8, 404 or 3/4 all with the same unit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Just a regular Oregon. I’d love it.

I could do the grinder shaft OD with a micrometer, but don't know how to measure the ID of the grinder wheels with one.

Philbert
The id of the wheel requires a telescoping gauge you lock it a little oversize pull it into the hole and then measure the telescoping gauge with the micrometer.

Or intermic, mic bridge, calipeters. Lol
Micrometer bridge is known as a telescoping gauge which is what it would be called when you order it from production tool. A caliper will not accuracy measure the id good enough to build a bushing accurately. You would have to make sure you are just in the right spot and will only be withen .005 which is not good enough when you're talking about making a bushing to take out the slop of the wheel.

When I did the saw it was to cut subflooring to help my brother. Used a carbide tipped blade ad ground them to neutral and it ate flooring nails. Set it just above the joist. Cut almost to the wall.
With a grinder it could be a wider for strength. Adjustable speed and set the speed with a clip and have a switch for on/off. Slow so it doesn’t burn.....a fine pitch for adjustment.
PM an email or phone number and in a day or so I’ll send a sketch and you can post it and let folks tear it apart for faults.
Do that a couple of times and then build one.
We’ve been real busy at work. I still owe Philbert his shim. I’ve been doing big stuff but there is some smaller stuff coming up tomorrow so I’ll get it done.
I can look and offer suggestions, but without a shop I can do little :(.

Micrometer bridge is known as a telescoping gauge which is what it would be called when you order it from production tool. A caliper will not accuracy measure the id good enough to build a bushing accurately. You would have to make sure you are just in the right spot and will only be withen .005 which is not good enough when you're talking about making a bushing to take out the slop of the wheel.

I said Bridge Mic......not telescoping Gauge
There are also indicating calipers......to.tenths..
If you can't measure to .002 with dial calipers when half drunk. Something wrong with your calipers.
We measure to ..002 with vernier all day long. With those and Pi tapes we got rid of our 6' mic set.

PAX

Just touched up a 94 dl loop of .404 micro chisel, decided to not do the 10 degree vise tilt on my 511a. Did a very nice job, barely took anything off, top plate was even, not like i was at 32 or 28 degrees, changing from left to right cutters required next to no adjustment. Now to see if it cuts...

Grinder Arbors

With some smaller grinders, I have had problems with wheels that did not fit: 'English / inch' measurements did not line up exactly with 'metric-almost-equivalents'. In other words, 7/8" did not equal 7/8".

Measured the arbor O.D. on a number of what-should-be-identical, 511A type grinders.

511A I.D.jpg

Surprise!

1) Arbors not all the same (see measurements* below).
2) Most arbors were not perfectly round!
* I am not a machinist, and only had a a HF digital caliper, but I made several measurements of each, so they should be close, if not exact.

Oregon 511A_______ 0.868 - 0.8695"
Speed Sharp Star____0.8695- 0.870"
Tecomec Super Jolly_ 0.8715 - 0.872"
Oregon 520-120____ 0.871 0.8735"

This is not an issue if you are not having problems with your grinder and wheels. I was trying to have a bushing made to let me mount wheels with larger I.D. holes. Six thouandths variation seems like a lot to me; might be a little less if I knock down a few high spots with some emery cloth and a stick.?

Philbert

I have occasionally run into grinding wheels with holes a hair too small for my 511A. Usually, I can just clamp the wheel in a Woodworkeer's vise, then take a 1/4' round file and carefully enlarge the hole until it fits the arbor snugly. Only a few "swing arounds" are needed. Rather amazing, Philbert, that there was that much difference between the four brands for what is supposed to be a standard diameter.

Rather amazing, Philbert, that there was that much difference between the four brands for what is supposed to be a standard diameter.
Yeah; if some had been different brands, or 'clones', I would have been less surprised. But all should have been made to Tecomec tolerances, even if manufactured several years apart.

Philbert

Yeah; if some had been different brands, or 'clones', I would have been less surprised. But all should have been made to Tecomec tolerances, even if manufactured several years apart.

Philbert

Is the bushing heat treated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back