543xp ? 550xp? 545?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 5105 comes with a large hard case tool and oil, seems like a nice package for 450$

I ask myself though is the 550xp 150$ better than the dolmar ? Got to stop the budget somewhere and 150$ buys a LOT of chains and extra stuff. The 545 is however in the same price range but seems to be far less powerful than both the 550 and 5105

New to the forum, I work at a cemetary taking care of the grounds, also do a little landscaping on the side. Need a saw for occasional clean up at work. Looking for a very lightweight husky saw with a high power to weight. I might cut a few small trees here and there 10" diameter about. Also going to help my grandfather and uncle with a few cord of firewood up to 18" diameter. a few months.
I have looked at the 543xp and it seems like a nice saw after broken in and a few tanks of fuel (according to a thread on here) and a little screamer. Also looked at the 545 which seems like a slightly detuned 550xp, but around 150$ less. Are the 550xp and 545 overkill for my needs? Is autotune better than regular adjustable carb? The 555 seems like a steal at almost the 550xp's price, Or will the 543xp be fine? I need help narrowing down what saw to get... Mason

I ask myself though is the 550xp 150$ better than the dolmar ? Got to stop the budget somewhere and 150$ buys a LOT of chains and extra stuff. The 545 is however in the same price range but seems to be far less powerful than both the 550 and 5105

you specified that you want a light weight saw with a high power to weight ratio. The 550xp is what you would want for that. Off top of my head the 5105 weighs pretty close to a Triple Nickel, but would give up a lot of power. So Husq wins again. If you want to go Dolmar, look at the 6100 and contact Nate (fordf150). If you want to do Husq- good luck beating Spike 60s prices.

I have no experience with either the 550xp or the 5105, but as i am currently kicking around the idea of upgrading my 50cc saw i am very observant of threads like this one. I have good dealers of both brands close by. Husky dealer is 6 miles, dolmar is 15 miles but Dolmar is not popular in our area. With that said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either brand. From what ive read, i think the 550xp is worth the extra money, that may change when i run both saws tho!

I am looking forward to more info and a saw update when you do acquire your new saw! thanks.

getting back to your original post, I do not think you need a 550xp for your uses that you listed. Getting the 550 would not have any downsides but certainly not needed.

Saw troll, you said before that the 550xp is better than the 545, do you think it would be worth the extra cash for my needs, I won't use the saw as much as a pro arborist but I want a real saw not a plastic Home Depot crap :dizzy: SO many options out there for pro saws

But the 5105 is the same price and has more power :dizzy: Then it does weigh more. I am not a pussycat and can handle the extra weight. What are the actual weights of these saws

I have borrowed a friends 350 husqvarna and did not like how it cut, seemed to cut okay if you didn't lean on it, but as soon as you leaned on it ...bogged down. Is this saw a lot weaker than a 550

I have borrowed a friends 350 husqvarna and did not like how it cut, seemed to cut okay if you didn't lean on it, but as soon as you leaned on it ...bogged down. Is this saw a lot weaker than a 550
I used to have a 450. It needed to be tuned just right to really work well, but it was a pretty good saw for the money. Now I have a 550xp. It doesn't need to be tuned ever and is an awesome saw for the money. Call or PM one of the site sponsor dealers and you will probably be able to get a better deal than you can find at the online retailers.

But the 5105 is the same price and has more power :dizzy: Then it does weigh more. I am not a pussycat and can handle the extra weight. What are the actual weights of these saws

More power is "paper only" - it doesn't work like that in the real world. My 346xp consistently outcuts my 5100S, despite the 5100 was rated at .2 hp more. The difference is too small to matter in practical cutting though.
Trigger response also is much better with the 50cc Huskys (346xp and 550xp), and of course handling - major difference, that makes the Dolmar a "sawbuck only" saw!

I like the idea of not having to tune the saw, I know how to adjust a saw carb but trimming limiter caps and messing around gets real old. And I agree paper specs are just numbers in the real world. I am starting to lean towards a 545/550, do you think a 545 would suit my needs well. It's just a detuned 550 right?

It is, but it also lacks the "rev-boost", so trigger response likely isn't the same (I haven't tried it, and just assume it is less responsive).

I'd like to have 18" bar but would consider a 16". What gauge chain is better .50 or .58 on these saws? .50 seems like it would cut faster being lighter ?

I'd like to have 18" bar but would consider a 16". What gauge chain is better .50 or .58 on these saws? .50 seems like it would cut faster being lighter ?
For the softwood we have here 18 inch is good. I think they both come with .325 pitch 0.050 gauge bar and chain.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

The trees around here are mostly oak and hard maple, think a 545/550 be able to pull 18 inch without bogging?

Back