550 XP hot starts/ performance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great duo.
Thanks to all the folks who helped out last time with advice on new saw. I landed on a 550 XP, so now I have a 346 xp and the 550 with the Auto tune.

First time out today...550 report: started like a dream and this saw was outstanding. Storms took down a 70 year old hackberry and it cut like I've never seen a 50 cc saw cut...UNTIL...

It came time to hot start. I pulled and pulled and it started and stopped and never ran worth a crap until i let it completely cool. Then it ran like a dream again.

I'm feeling like I just bought the best one -time use saw ever...Help?
I had similar issues. Here is what I do now:

hot-start:

Activate decompression valve
quickly pull cord.

That's it!

The saw "on switch" is always on, if you will.. It is in the on position until you push the red lever down all the way, which kills the fire.
All I do to hot-restart is pull the cord! I usually use the decompression valve.

If I lift the red lever to choke on, then push one click down, I believe I should be in throttle-lock, no choke mode. But when attempting to hot-restart using this method, the saw always floods. It also floods if I lift the red lever to choke position and then clcik down one and then flick throttle to disengage throttle lock.

I had other issues with my 550xpg which I mention elsewhere, but now, over 1/2 a year using it, I very much enjoy this saw. The acceleration is simply awesome and the vibes and emission fumes levels are lower than any saw I've ever owned or tried.

It also floods if I lift the red lever to choke position and then clcik down one and then flick throttle to disengage throttle lock.
That's the same as doing nothing... no choke, no throttle lock. Not sure why it would flood doing that and not when just pulling the cord.

Yes. Same as doing nothing. I might not have used the best wording.
When the saw is turned off after running awhile there is only one method to restart (while still hot and recently run) my 550xpg:
Decomp valve
Pull quickly
Incidentally, when the saw was new it had two serious but correctable/corrected problems. One was a fuel-tank venting issue and the other was an ignition-system problem. There were a couple of bulletins out there before I was sold the saw. As previously mentioned all is well now except the unusual hot-starting procedure necessary to start this saw. Thanks for the feedback Mark.

Latest posts

Back