550 XP oiling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sladem

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey I have a brand new 550xp. The chain comes loose a ridiculous amount. And I'm not sure if I'm getting enough chain oil. Any way to adjust it on these saws?

Hey I have a brand new 550xp. The chain comes loose a ridiculous amount. And I'm not sure if I'm getting enough chain oil. Any way to adjust it on these saws?
Look at bottom of saw, you will see and arrow + or - sign on fuel tank support, turn oil pump screw to plus side to increase oiling. Do not over turn in either direction or you will have to remove pump and reset plunger.

It's brand new sharp chain. I adjusted the oil screw a little bit......in my opinion it's still not using enough oil so in gonna back off the screw another turn next time I head in the woods

Open it all the way to the plus.

Do you see a stripe of oil in front of the tip of the bar if you hold it WOT for a few seconds while the end of the bar is few inches away from a light colored surface?

Gonna back the screw out more and check to see if the oil I'm using is for the correct temperature. Has been pretty cold lately so my oil might be to thick. I'll be home in a couple days to try it. Thanks again for the input

Do not over turn in either direction or you will have to remove pump and reset plunger.

Is this true for all the saws? I bought a demo 562 way back and I'm certain I've overturned the dial a few times. Never noticed an issue with oiling when switching bars (24/28) and adjusting oiler. Maybe it's stuck wide open...? None of my other saws will budge beyond the max/min, but this one moves freely.

Is this true for all the saws? I bought a demo 562 way back and I'm certain I've overturned the dial a few times. Never noticed an issue with oiling when switching bars (24/28) and adjusting oiler. Maybe it's stuck wide open...? None of my other saws will budge beyond the max/min, but this one moves freely.
Yes you can shut them off by overturning them out. People will do that when running a log wizard. You can remove oil pump, then remove pin holding adjuster, push adjuster up and reinstall pin. Pump is repaired.

You can spin the adjustment on a 390 pump if you push it in a little while turning, it just restarts at the low setting no harm done. Some pumps will break is you try and force the past the stop.

This is exactly what the 2014 562xp does. I can even hear the clicking at each point, followed by silence as the dial spins past, then clicking when back to low (and the dial still slightly pushes out before recessing back at the beginning). However, on my 2017 562, the dial is fixed to the three positions.

Yes you can shut them off by overturning them out. People will do that when running a log wizard. You can remove oil pump, then remove pin holding adjuster, push adjuster up and reinstall pin. Pump is repaired.

Very interesting. Now I have something else to do aside from sharpening a couple chains when I get back home. I'll check it on all four of my saws just to be safe. Thanks for the info, both of you.

390 and 550-562 oil pumps are
not the same in construction.

I've turned to oil pump screw counter clockwise all the way. Still not using much oil. Not even a quarter tank of oil for a tank of gas. Brand new saw right outta the box. What could be the issue?

Yes I have a 3 year warranty. I'm go going to use it. Just checking here first because to honest most of you guys are more knowledgeable Then the people that are going to be working on my saw lol

Latest posts

Back