550xp before and after porting or muffler mod ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been watching this thread. Is there a good 550 mm how to thread? I mean I understand what to do but is there a spot best for placing holes, etc?

Been watching this thread. Is there a good 550 mm how to thread? I mean I understand what to do but is there a spot best for placing holes, etc?

I like using the stock opening. Keeps it looking stock and surprises many all in keeping the exhaust gases moving toward the chain and away from me.

When they see two exhaust ports on a muffler everyone expects it to fly.

Lift the deflector slightly and cut out everything to the right of the stock port or drill a 3/8 hole there.

I drilled a 3/8 hole and cleaned it up with a dremel and carbide bit.

Did the same mod on my 562xp and 2260 too.

There are other ways to do it, ut you need to examine the inner workings of the muffler (I haven't on a 550 yet) and determine what the air path is. A second outlet 1/2"-3/4" OD that makes another 90° of turn will do wonders to keep the saw uiet while allowing MUCH more airflow. Another member oon here has turned me on to a much better way of doing mufflers and they flow like a mother, run cooler and are usually as quiet, or more so than stock. I love noisy, powerful toys but I know I have hearing loss now and don't want to lose any more than I have to going forward.

Latest posts

Back