550xp first tank video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komatsuvarna

Arboristsite MVP
Reaction score
Got my 550 on Thursday, but didn't get to run it more than 2 minutes. Honestly, first impressions wasn't that great to me.... I believe a box stock 346 would put a hurting on it. I noticed the muffler was severely restrictive on these IMO. It has a big baffle in the muffler and then a pipe that goes to the outlet about 3/8'' ID x about 2'' long. I studied it for a bit, then gutted the muffler and cut the pipe off :msp_w00t:. I opened the outlet up to the max keeping the hole under the deflector......probably 60-70% of the exhaust port just guessing. So the muffler is open now. Put the spark screen back in and gave her a go. WOW, It was like changing saws!!

Here she be with about 5 minutes total run time on it. Its wearing a 16'' 3/8s LGX. The chain is a little aggressive for a 50cc saw, but it's all I had that was sharp. IN a couple of the cuts I was pushing some trying the see how far it would bog down and still pull. A couple of cuts were just self feeding. Anyways, It ain't much, but here's the vid. Sorry bout the crappy cell video, it usually turns out better than that!

[video=youtube;Brzw5Pq0h18]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brzw5Pq0h18&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Last edited:
So B-rad, How'd ya do that neat muffler mod on PTjeeps 261 and make it look so nice? I believe thats about my only option for a dual port on this style muffler,, unless I put a pipe in it because of the louvers all over the muffler. I like the shark gill look too :).

That saw is a little screamer. After the muffler mod how would you compare it to a 346xp? New saw rep coming!

Hard to say yet. The 346 was broken in well, the 550 has about 5 minutes on it. I think the 55o has a lot wider powerband after muffler modding, Its powerband is wider than a 346 too. Hopefully I can get some comparison videos with the 346 after the 550 has some more run time on it.

Hard to say yet. The 346 was broken in well, the 550 has about 5 minutes on it. I think the 55o has a lot wider powerband after muffler modding, Its powerband is wider than a 346 too. Hopefully I can get some comparison videos with the 346 after the 550 has some more run time on it.

Didn't sound like it minded being lugged one bit. She just kept on pulling. I like what I see.

So B-rad, How'd ya do that neat muffler mod on PTjeeps 261 and make it look so nice? I believe thats about my only option for a dual port on this style muffler,, unless I put a pipe in it because of the louvers all over the muffler. I like the shark gill look too :).

I cut the slits with a cutoff wheel in the Dremel. I then take a small tuning screwdriver, push it to the very edge, and twist. Make sure it's all the way into the edge, so as to not push the next louver down. Then take a very small pair of needle nose pliers and further bend the louvers. It's really easy to do a neat job.

Husky specs say 10.8lb PHO for 550. Disappointing. Right off dealer scales. Least it didnt gain weight. :)

550XP 11.2 lbs
346XP ne 11.4 lbs

Yeah, they feel about the same. Close your eyes and trade saws and ya can't tell which is which. 10.8 would have been better though......:rock:

346 vs 550

Not a fair comparison, but I wen't ahead and run it with a 346xpne. The wood is Poplar that been setting in the 100+ degree heat for 2 and a half months. I ran the 550 first and it was in the dried out hard end of the wood.....dust was boiling everywhere. The 346 had the better wood, I could feel the last cut getting faster with the 346. If I would have had enough wood I should have cut a foot or so of the dried end off to have a more fair comparison....but I didn't have enough wood. You can also see a knot or 2. By my watch and calculator, The 550 average was 11.0, the 346xpne was 10.52. So almost half a second. I can't say for sure, but i believe that if I'd run the 346 first and the 550 second that the 550 would have won...just a guess though because of the wood. Oh well, just having fun anyways :D. Also the 346 has had A LOT more fuel put through it and a dual port muffler.

[video=youtube;_DDrhb8i5gk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DDrhb8i5gk&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Last edited:

[video=youtube;LRpZl3M_N_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRpZl3M_N_E&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Lookin good, man! Thanks for posting this.

Be interesting to see after it's broken in...

Might have to get me one at some point. :msp_smile:

Lookin good, man! Thanks for posting this.

Be interesting to see after it's broken in...

Might have to get me one at some point. :msp_smile:

Whats kickin Don? :rock:

Yes it will. In time Ill give the 550 a dual port muffler too to make things more even. I'm sure it will gain some as some fuel is put though it too, How much is anyone's guess. I always felt like my 346 was a good runner for a stock saw. I really like the wide powerband and smoothness of the 550....after the muffler mod. Suits my cutting style a bit more than a 346....

Last edited:
Whats kickin Don? :rock:

Yes it will. In time Ill give the 550 a dual port muffler too to make things more even. I'm sure it will gain some as some fuel is put though it too, How much is anyone's guess. I always felt like my 346 was a good runner for a stock saw. I really like the wide powerband and smoothness of the 550....after the muffler mod. Suits my cutting style a bit more than a 346....

Too hot to do much kickin around here, Durand. :msp_w00t:

Back