550XP-"You CANNOT run it with 3/8 pitch setup. No way!"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You really think anyone will be spared the next EPA mandate?

Think again.....profit and monopoly rules all.....you me and every other person on the site is disposable....and a potential criminal

And that goes double if you actually are an operative for the big saw companies or the government.....when they get what they want they bury you....lol

He's saying that we aren't going to be able to port saws soon enough because the EPA is going to ruin it, and the EPA is touch hole related with the big companies. You won't no longer be able to tune the dang carb on your saw no more. Everythings going computerized...you will need to bring your saw to the dealer to fix some sort of a simple carb issue that you could have fixed with a screwdriver. Which will get the dealers more money, but that will also make alot of things just a big pain in the arse. He's also saying that they're going to go after the people on these forums who facilitate things that go against what big brother wants...and all the dern parts are foreign made junk.

That's what I think you're saying...but hell...I could be completely wrong...

I think, that our country has way bigger fish to swim then worry about what people are doing to their power saws. The EPA and greenies ruin lots of things. they closed down the last USA Lead Smeltering plant, gee thanks. I think that the EPA needs to go..everything is more efficient, its good enough, now leave it all alone. The dang epa tries to enforce things that aren't possible. That's why they shut down things such as the last USA lead smeltering plant, they got Caterpillar to stop making on road diesel engines.

X-skier...I know that you are joking around... if not, do you drive a Ford?

The guys running dirt bikes are already banging into what he's talking about.
When you've got fuel injection or an electro-carb and the ECM has a locked set of parmeters
encrypted and coded into it ...

When the DMCA lawyers say you can't mess with them and have sent the cease and desist letter (w/duplicat copy sent to EPA)...

When you're stuck buying an ECM "tuner kit" and software for the one saw,
(serial number and internet connection required to activate)
and the price for it is as much as the port job was....

When the saw has the equivalent of a "check engine light" on it and requires
a reset (after X many cycles?) and inspection for alterations etc
from a certified dealer in order to get it out of the "limp home mode"....

....look around you at almost anything else with a chip in it that's under 3~4 years old
(needed that update yet? ... heard of blacklisted DVD players?)
and decide for yourself if it's coming or not.

Don't forget printer cartridges and keurigs idea to RF tag those little one use coffee packs
if you feel it's too bulky or costly for the manufacturer.

edit: forgot to mention. Ypu're gonna buy it cash, right?
hmm, you want that little stumble or hot start issue to go away though right?
just plug 'er in and fix it easy huh!
oh yeah, your saw's also registered and tracked to your IP address now too.

'scuse me for now whilst i go check my tin foil hat inventory.

The guys running dirt bikes are already banging into what he's talking about.
When you've got fuel injection or an electro-carb and the ECM has a locked set of parmeters
encrypted and coded into it ...

When the DMCA layers say you can't mess with them and have sent the cease and desist letter (w/duplicat copy sent to EPA)...

When you're stuck buying an ECM "tuner" kit and software for the one saw,
(serial number and internet connection required to activate)
and the price for it is as much as the port job was....

When the saw has the equivalent of a "check engine light" on it and requires
a reset (after X many cycles?) and inspection for alterations etc
from a certified dealer in order to get it out of the "limp home mode"....

....look around you at almost anything else with a chip in it that's under 3~4 years old
(needed that update yet? ... heard of blacklisted DVD players?)
and decide for yourself if it's coming or not.

Don't forget printer cartridges and keurigs idea to RF tag those little one use coffee packs
if you feel it's to bulky or costly for the manufacturer.

edit: forgot to mention. Ypu're gonna buy it cash, right?
hmm, you want that little stumble or hot start issue to go away though right?
just plug 'er in and fix it easy huh!
oh yeah, your saw's also registered and tracked to your IP address now too.

'scuse me for now whilst i go check my tin foil hat inventory.

Tell me about it....Apple forced an update on itunes so now I can't get to my own work that was formatted in the old itunes.....

I bet, that the new generation of saw porters, are going to be computer hackers as well. Computer hackers can hack just about anything, I'm sure they'll figure something out. Getting a saw ported is going to cost a bajillion dollars

So in other words, the OPE industry is only about 20 years behind the auto industry. And we all know that no one modifies cars anymore, and you can only buy parts from a dealer as there are no aftermarket suppliers. Right?

Actually, there are very few people with the skills to modify cars these days, but that is mostly due to the stock vehicles having so far exceeded any reasonable performance needs that no one bothers. For those that still play, there are lots of things that can be done, but you do need some different skills. So it's true that the skills of tuning a pathetically inaccurate chainsaw carb will probably go away once they are replaced by much more accurate feedback carbs. So what? To many here these AT/MT systems are space age wizardry, but to some of us they are stupid-simple & crude systems.

The biggest problem is that there are so few people who would even consider modifying a chainsaw, any more than they might want to hop up a power drill, that the market is too small. I wonder what the sales of parts to other than dealers looks like?

Back