555's Have Arrived....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will there be a Jonsered version of these saws as well?

Just curious if they are keeping up both lines on a similar basis or branding them different.

Philbert

The word on here from spike and others has been that they will most likely not appear in jonsered skin until the 357/359 2159 2156 chassis is discontinued entirely. So sooner or later. Besides, it will take some work to get the saw to keep with the jonsered aesthetics.

The word on here from spike and others has been that they will most likely not appear in jonsered skin until the 357/359 2159 2156 chassis is discontinued entirely. So sooner or later. Besides, it will take some work to get the saw to keep with the jonsered aesthetics.

Thanks Mike - I though they just straightened the handle and changed the color of the plastic, but you are probably right.

Philbert

Thanks Mike - I though they just straightened the handle and changed the color of the plastic, but you are probably right.

Philbert

I think this one is going to be more of a challenge for them. They've managed to get all the modern round/funky topped huskies thus far down to a nice square body with the raised spark plug like the older 630/670 jonsereds had. I'm very curious if they'll try to square it up or if this will just be a newer more rounded jonsered with a further departure from their usual pro-saw aesthetics.

So who is going to be the first person to post an online video of the 555 in action? Or is it tucked away in some obscure place on youtube or vimeo, etc.?

Very informative thread.
How do you think this 555 will compare against my 257? My 257 runs a 20" bar, 3/8 Oregon #72 chain. Ive always thought it was low on power, and when taking full cuts into hardwood I can easily stop the chain, and have to back off a bit. MAybe too much chain, not enough power ?

Very informative thread.
How do you think this 555 will compare against my 257? My 257 runs a 20" bar, 3/8 Oregon #72 chain. Ive always thought it was low on power, and when taking full cuts into hardwood I can easily stop the chain, and have to back off a bit. MAybe too much chain, not enough power ?

Spike might be able to answer this--I think he has a 257 in his collection and has been running/breaking in a 555.

Bottom line, if you want to pull 20" of 3/8 full chisel with authority and the ability to lean on the saw with much lower risk of chain stoppage, you're in 70cc territory. It's an inconvenient truth, for your wallet at least.

I think the 18" setup is wiill prove suitable for these saws. If you talk to a serious saw shop, even with the 359, 361, if you really wanted comfortable and powerful cutting, they would definitely set the saw up with an 18" and tell you that 20" is optimistic.

Spike might be able to answer this--I think he has a 257 in his collection and has been running/breaking in a 555.

Bottom line, if you want to pull 20" of 3/8 full chisel with authority and the ability to lean on the saw with much lower risk of chain stoppage, you're in 70cc territory. It's an inconvenient truth, for your wallet at least.

I think the 18" setup is wiill prove suitable for these saws. If you talk to a serious saw shop, even with the 359, 361, if you really wanted comfortable and powerful cutting, they would definitely set the saw up with an 18" and tell you that 20" is optimistic.

361 and 359 both will run 20's just fine...I dont own a 359 ( I have worked on 1 or 20)...I do however have 2) 361's in my shed 1 has a ton of hours (100's), the other maybe 25 (its new), that get used ALOT...both have 20's...they not only handle the 20, but also balance the best in my hands with a 20...

Great post Spike and TK. Great looking saw. I hope they live up to the hype. I'll be interested in a 562 after their out a while and the magnesium alloy composite crank shaft they are touting proves itself in the NA market. It is my only concern when they state they used this to create a lighter rotating mass in some of their releases. I'm old school liking the forged steel cranks.
The 562 will give Husky the saw that it should have had in it's line up to compete with the MS 361. It has the potential to be a great one saw answer to anyone who wants an all around saw, it should be a great firewood saw. It's basically duplicates the MS 361 specs, with a slight advantage on hp, which means it should be well received by wood cutters. I wish it would have duplicated the 599.99 price point of the 361.
With it's suggested retail, it makes the 365 look like a bargain, but I'm a sucker for the XP logo, it'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against other saws in it's price range. I do like the fuel use advantage of these strato saws especially when you go through as much fuel as we do, they do lower operating cost.

what is your idea of leaning on a saw,standing in the footpad w/the bar buried? if you can't make a 60cc saw pull a 20" bar with authority you probably need to do 3 things, learn how to run a saw, learn how to sharpen chains, and/or switch brands. my 361/362/cs600 pull a 20" bar in hardwood just fine, not sure what you are trying to do there guy?

what is your idea of leaning on a saw,standing in the footpad w/the bar buried? if you can't make a 60cc saw pull a 20" bar with authority you probably need to do 3 things, learn how to run a saw, learn how to sharpen chains, and/or switch brands. my 361/362/cs600 pull a 20" bar in hardwood just fine, not sure what you are trying to do there guy?

do you want a cookie?

We are technically classing anywhere from 57cc up to 69cc as a 60cc saw apparently..... That's a big difference. Some are going to rip, some are going to take a little longer. Neither will be a slouch by any means unless you're talking homeowner class touting big cc's.

Very informative thread.

My 357 pulls a 20" bar just fine, not smokin fast buried in oak though. Sounds like something is not quite right with your 257... Rebuild time, maybe? Or 20" with a .325 chain might be the ticket.

That said, I bet the 555 can handle a 20" bar with authority.

I don't see a problem with putting a 20" on a 60CC saw, and that's what most of them go out with.

I put an 18" on my 555 more because it felt better balanced that way. With the lighter chassis, a 20" will feel slightly more nose heavy than say a Jonsered 630 Super. Also, having a few too many saws to play with, (a few?), I tend to run 16" on the 50cc's, 18" on the 60cc's and 20's on the 70cc saws.

Still haven't gotten past the third tank on the 555. Last two weeks have been all about "Irene" around here. But the saw was starting to wake up nice, and it had no problem with the 18" bar burried in white oak, and I was leaning on it pretty good. Seemed to find another gear, and I think some of the credit goes to the auto-tune doing it's thing.

The 4.3HP rating of the 555 is just behind the 4.4HP of the 357, and well ahead of the 3.9hp of the 359. So if this thing will cut with a 357XP, while costing $100 less and being a lighter in weight, then it's a pretty good deal. That's why I've been saying the 555 is the sleeper here. Mine isn't there yet, but it just started coming to life halfway through the 3rd tank, so I expect it's still got some breaking in to do.

I'll have to compare it to some other like sized saws at some point, including it's 562XP brother whenever it finally shows up. The top rung on my 60cc ladder is my Jonsered 630Super, which runs more like a 70cc saw than a 60cc. Outcuts eveything else I have including a couple of 262XP's. That's the real target that the 562 has to hit.

Spike60, how reliable has the Autotune system been , and is it any more sensitive it sits for a while without use?
Also, does Husky's engine management system have any advantage or disadvantages over the Stihl M-tronic ?

Spike Where exactly are you located? Looking for new saw

Spike ,

Where in Ulster county are you? I'm up in Ballston Lake and need to clean up few wooded lots. I was looking at a use 346xp NE or a 359 but with this saw coming out may just go for the 555. I've talked to the local Husqvarna dealers and they seem to be clueless about the 555. Wondering if it would be worth my time to come down and take a look.

I have to agree on the threads around emissions. As the end of the day, in many industries it's emissions and fuel efficiency that drive innovation into product lines. If you have a few major players in a sector - unless there is an outside threat innovation normally is very incremental. On the other hand emissions from 2-strokes is such a negligible number in total impact, that the operabilty issues as well of impacts of ethanol really have made things more diffucult for the consumer these past few years.

Bryan
Ballston Lake, NY

My 357 pulls a 20" bar just fine, not smokin fast buried in oak though. Sounds like something is not quite right with your 257... Rebuild time, maybe? Or 20" with a .325 chain might be the ticket.

That said, I bet the 555 can handle a 20" bar with authority.

I don't see a problem with putting a 20" on a 60CC saw, and that's what most of them go out with.

I put an 18" on my 555 more because it felt better balanced that way. With the lighter chassis, a 20" will feel slightly more nose heavy than say a Jonsered 630 Super. Also, having a few too many saws to play with, (a few?), I tend to run 16" on the 50cc's, 18" on the 60cc's and 20's on the 70cc saws. .......

My point is not about "handling" or "pulling" the 20", but about the resulting balanse and handling of the saw, like spike said.

The 630 and some other ones from different brands basically weight like a 70cc saw, and will of course balance a 20" nicely. :msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back