555's Have Arrived....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be ok if Lamborghinis looked like the old 8000lb Cadillacs, but they don't, so I don't care about how advanced they are and how much better theyll perform. My Cadillac performs better in my head because it just looks more rugged. It's made of steel. And champion stuff.

How did today's classics look when they first came out compared to their predecessors? LIKE THE FUTURE!!

The government regulations are both helpful and harmful in saw developments.

If you take a large step back, saws have moved away from some of the super smokey 10:1 homelites and macs because of cleaner emissions regs. That's what brought us some of these more efficient, higher RPM, lower torque machines. I know lots of guys on here like these, but I think most professional timber fallers would rather use a modern saw for the benefits in emissions and weight/ergonomics over these older saws.

If you take a smaller step back, you'll realize that all the saw companies basically procrastinated coming up with new saw designs until the epa regs rolled around. the EPA regs are driving the innovation, to some degree. In countries where they don't have EPA regs or an equivalent, IE south america, they sell the old models. The only saw stihl reworked a bit was the 036 going to a 361 for example, but pretty much everything else, changing up the 210, 290, etc, was all put off until they had to.

If you look at like the development of better AV systems...that was largely brought about by regulation of the european union, when they started limiting the numbers of hours that workers were allowed to use tools that put out very high levels of vibration.

I agree that the EPA stuff has eliminated some really good saws 372, 262, etc, but it has also brought us many good saws 346 NE, stihl ms 261, etc, etc. And look how excited we are for this! And it's a strato saw.

I basically agree. We did lose some good saws in there....I'd include the 254's for my $ to your list but seems they are finally turning the corner. I just think we had to put up with some heavier saws in the meantime due to gov't meddling. Hopefully it is for the good at this point.

I basically agree. We did lose some good saws in there....I'd include the 254's for my $ to your list but seems they are finally turning the corner. I just think we had to put up with some heavier saws in the meantime due to gov't meddling. Hopefully it is for the good at this point.

It looks like the new 560 series breaks the weight increase trend! :msp_thumbsup:

I mean I think that the apparent "fact" that we have to so greatly clean up two stroke emissions/the claims that they are such big culprits are bull#### but too often we ignore the good that does come out of them.

It looks like the new 560 series breaks the weight increase trend! :msp_thumbsup:

Yep, and I'm stoked about that! :msp_thumbup:

I think you've been on it all along. With the 560xp, you still get the xtra power of XP version but the weight savings of the 555. I hope the 560xp makes it to the US. That may be the one I wait on now. Not sure I'll be able to if the 562xp's hit the market......I'll be tied in knots wanting one....I may have to really practice some patience for hte 560xp.

I like the look of it myself. Can't wait to see some vids of it in action. I'll also be glad when this 562 gets here so I can quit listening to all you Huskyheads whine. :laugh:

I'm J/K. I gotta little Huskyhead in me also. :D

I mean I think that the apparent "fact" that we have to so greatly clean up two stroke emissions/the claims that they are such big culprits are bull#### but too often we ignore the good that does come out of them.

"We" don't need to at all, the EPA are just harrassing the ones they can, to protect their own existence and budget, when they are not allowed to attack the real pollution culprits!

Not quoting it for space reasons, but post #180 by Mike is really first class and right on target.

One thing I'll say is that nobody I know who has spent any time with a 372XT or 2172 misses the old one. Informal "polling" I've done suggests that 2/3 of the guys feel it has a little more power than the original, and the rest think it is about the same as the original. No one feels it has lost anything. Everyone loves that it has lost it's thirst for fuel. Had a guy in today, and he is one of those that feels the power is about the same. But he says the big advantage in his eyes is how much more wood he can cut on a tank of fuel.

Ruggedness of today's saws vs the roll around in the back of the truck toughness of older models? Can't really have that without a weight penalty, can we? And we know how much we all love weight around here don't we?

It's neither fair nor accurate to suggest that todays saws have been ruined by the EPA. Some early attempts, such as the 575's and to a lesser degree the 441, are disappointing. But that emerging technology is getting better, and so are the saws. The unfortunate problem is that Husky and Stihl are the only two companies that really have the resources to keep up with the regs. It's really hard for the smaller companies to to the necessary R&D to meet the regs and stay in the game. Some are embracing cat mufflers, which is already an outdated and not so good solution.

Anyway, I ran the 555 a little more today. Made about 20 cuts in some 12"-14" red oak. Like the 576, the saw is as smooth as butter. My next step this weekend is to actually run it along side some known quantities and try and get a feel to where it fits. I like the power, and this is just the junior version of this chassis.

Wish I had a scale, but further comparisons with fully loaded 357/359's in the shop leave no doubt that the 555 is noticeably lighter. Not to the degree that my first 560 was with the .325 laminated bar, but there is a clear weight advantage. But to say it feels like a 346 is simply not accurate, especially with a real 3/8 bar on the thing.

555 vs 562? In this group, most will want the 560/562. As enthusiasts, none of us want to leave that extra performance on the table. In the outside world the 555 would make more sense for most folks. But the 555 faces several sales hurdles from both above and below. Even locally, I have a list of guys waiting for the 562. From below, there are a lot of less expensive alternatives that the average firewood cutter can choose from to serve his needs. One direct comparison I will do is with the 460 Rancher, as they are the same displacement. My impression so far is that the 555 will toast the 460. But either will put wood in the truck. Like the 359, the 555's key selling point may simply be that it's "not plastic".

Pricing? Not cool for me to post actual pricing here, but I can post the differences. A 555 is a $125 jump from a 460, and a $40 to $50 jump from a 359. Certainly a worthwhile step from the 359, but maybe too big a jump for the Rancher crowd. The 562 will be at least $100 more; maybe $125. That will put it at least $50 north of the 365XT, and within "thinking distance" of the 372XT. See where this is going? The 562 really has to hit the center of the bullseye in all categories. The 357 never really did IMO, and was never a big seller for me. The 560 prototype I had last year nailed them all, and I expect that the production 560/562 will do the same. But in my market the 372 is practically worshiped, so the toughest thing the 560/562 will have to do is find it's niche.

Well it's getting late, and although I'd love to stay up and read the latest BloodOnTheIce and Woodchucker81 show, I gotta hit the sack.:cool2:

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been answered,

but do the 555s have removable transfer covers?

But the 555 faces several sales hurdles from both above and below. . . .A 555 is a $125 jump from a 460, and a $40 to $50 jump from a 359. Certainly a worthwhile step from the 359, but maybe too big a jump for the Rancher crowd. QUOTE]

Are you selling it against other Huskies or against a STIHL MS 362 for a 'one-saw-plan' saw?

Philbert

From the Husky press release . . .

"Model: MSRP
555 $529.95 – $569.95
562 XP $699.95 – $749.95

The MSRP pricing provided herein is for reference purposes only. Actual retail prices are established by the applicable dealer and may vary by location. MSRP pricing is subject to change without prior notice."

But the 555 faces several sales hurdles from both above and below. . . .A 555 is a $125 jump from a 460, and a $40 to $50 jump from a 359. Certainly a worthwhile step from the 359, but maybe too big a jump for the Rancher crowd. QUOTE]

Are you selling it against other Huskies or against a STIHL MS 362 for a 'one-saw-plan' saw?

Philbert

The 562XP should be the one that goes up against the MS362. The 555 would slot in below them both as a lower priced alternative, but still with pro saw features and construction.

But my thoughts are primarily how they fit in amongst the other Husky's in the line up.

Stihl is kind of a weak player in my market, especially on the pro side. Not the product of course, but the knowledge and "personalities" of my local Stihl competition makes life pretty easy for me.

The 562XP should be the one that goes up against the MS362. The 555 would slot in below them both as a lower priced alternative, but still with pro saw features and construction.

But my thoughts are primarily how they fit in amongst the other Husky's in the line up.

Stihl is kind of a weak player in my market, especially on the pro side. Not the product of course, but the knowledge and "personalities" of my local Stihl competition makes life pretty easy for me.

I knew there was a reason there are no Stihl saws in my stable.

The government regulations are both helpful and harmful in saw developments.

If you take a large step back, saws have moved away from some of the super smokey 10:1 homelites and macs because of cleaner emissions regs. That's what brought us some of these more efficient, higher RPM, lower torque machines. I know lots of guys on here like these, but I think most professional timber fallers would rather use a modern saw for the benefits in emissions and weight/ergonomics over these older saws.

If you look at like the development of better AV systems...that was largely brought about by regulation of the european union, when they started limiting the numbers of hours that workers were allowed to use tools that put out very high levels of vibration.

Edit: To continue my rant just a bit, the saw companies don't really have much reason to innovate and come up with new saws in the absence of regulations. Stihl and Husqvarna are really then only competing with eachother, and if neither innovates and comes up with new stuff, then it's just the same old brand war. The majority of saws are bought because they need to be bought. In the context of this website, lots of us may go out and buy a 562 or a 555 because we think they're cool and exciting, etc.

So, I think in the absence of a lot of these regulations and sources of pressure for the manufacturers to change things up, there wouldn't be anywhere near as much variety/models/features out there as there are now.

Definitely a mixed blessing though. I'm highlighting the good without criticizing the bad, which I do acknowledge.

Husqvarna started to work on better AV system back in the 70's before the euro-crats decided that ope needed to have it. The epa has been over run by leftist tree hugging nut jobs that look for anyway to kill off american jobs.

If you look at how the epa pushed for ethanol gasoline, higher CAFE standards and the the such(2025 cars that are required to get 54.5mpg) . You will see the path they are trying to take america down. In a free market economy, the government should stay out of the way of innovation. You can not have a political entity forcing their views of how a market should conform to their ideology. If consumers of ope want better AV systems or better fuel consumption rates for ope. Then the consumers will vote with their wallets. The epa is a self serving entity that is ALLWAYS looking to grow it's power. If the nuts in the epa had their way with all of us. We would using mass transit(where lucking enough to have it) and riding bicycles like in china. :dizzy:

My .02

Mike

Husqvarna started to work on better AV system back in the 70's before the euro-crats decided that ope needed to have it. The epa has been over run by leftist tree hugging nut jobs that look for anyway to kill off american jobs.

If you look at how the epa pushed for ethanol gasoline, higher CAFE standards and the the such(2025 cars that are required to get 54.5mpg) . You will see the path they are trying to take america down. In a free market economy, the government should stay out of the way of innovation. You can not have a political entity forcing their views of how a market should conform to their ideology. If consumers of ope want better AV systems or better fuel consumption rates for ope. Then the consumers will vote with their wallets. The epa is a self serving entity that is ALLWAYS looking to grow it's power. If the nuts in the epa had their way with all of us. We would using mass transit(where lucking enough to have it) and riding bicycles like in china. :dizzy:

My .02

Mike

They can try. I will get a multi fuel deuce and a half, and run it off of wood gas... before this would happen. #### the EPA. They can take all of their bull#### and shove it up their ass.

Latest posts

Back