562 xp hot weather fixes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea. I've bounce a few things like that around, but always ended up talking myself out of it for one reason or another.

The air injection system forces cool air in off of the flywheel unto the carb box area through a duct. If this helps I would guess it's improving air flow when the saws is sitting, more than when it's running. Or the flow off of the flywheel is insufficient.

I have a suggestion. With the saw running feel around the holes on the back of the cover, you should feel some air actually coming out, if their is a vacuum, than the air injection system isn't up to snuff.

i dont think the air injection is enough on these saws. with the layed back cylinder and how close everything is. the body of these saws are small and everything is jammed together.

i dont think the air injection is enough on these saws. with the layed back cylinder and how close everything is. the body of these saws are small and everything is jammed together.
That may very well be. Maybe the air injection is picking up some heat radiating from the case and blowing in some hot air.

So I got to thinking what if I'm not as worried about letting hot air out as I am cool air in ?
Bingo. Its not the heat but the lack of oxygen. Heat maybe causing fumes but inefficient amout of oxygen is that what gives it the inability to start. Same concept as when I'm sloppy with filling up the saw and spill gas.
...it doesn't start. It starts right away when I pull the cap off.
It's like cutting close around a fire..or making a window in a back cut. It needs a a certain percentage or it won't sustain, as people do. In this case it won't start.

A 2 stroke engine is a 2 stroke engine. A saw is a saw is a saw as a liar is a liar is a liar.
A saw, It needs its components.
Husqvarna? Pfffff.. If they think heat shielding is the answer. My god. I think my next husky will be a stihl.

Bingo. Its not the heat but the lack of oxygen. Heat maybe causing fumes but inefficient amout of oxygen is that what gives it the inability to start. Same concept as when I'm sloppy with filling up the saw and spill gas.
...it doesn't start. It starts right away when I pull the cap off.
It's like cutting close around a fire..or making a window in a back cut. It needs a a certain percentage or it won't sustain, as people do. In this case it won't start.
Not sure about that, when the carb can't pump fuel because it's no longer in liquid form. More air the better though.

When over 90 degrees the 562 and 550 always start for me when I shut them down with the choke and restart on high idle. Let them stumble around for a few seconds and hit the trigger to idle, wait for 20 seconds at idle and then go cut wood.

This worked as well in GA. with a heat index of 110 too.
All of which should not be necessary in re-starting a chainsaw.

Vapor lock in this day and age. Sounds like it wasn’t fully tested. It was probably shipped right out to the end product user (us) and we get to fully test it. As a retired engineering lead tech on the r&d lab floor where we did product development and life testing of new products looking for the best design for quality and product reliability any problems in the field is unacceptable. Husqvarna shame, shame, shame on you.

What’s up with the turbo action isn’t it pumping enough fresh air into the carb area?

I guess I’ll check any new saws off my list for now. If I have any problems with any product I contact either the companies ceo, or there engineering group. I worked for one of the top ten engineering groups in the country. my letter head has opened up many doors. These companies really respond.

I cut trees full and part time between jobs. My saws were always gassed ready to go. I thought having vapor lock with chainsaws was over when I got rid of my craftsman saws.

The 5 series cooling system (fan/fins/shroud) works keeping the saw at safe operating temps under pretty much all conditions. The problem arises when the cooling system stops i.e when saw is shuttle off. The heat radiating from cylinder/case goes into the carb area & boom the game begins. Carbs inherently run cold under operation.....it all works under operation, but damn don't stop the thing to refuel, sharpen your chain on a hot humid day. Husky knows this very well and I'm sure going forward saws like 572xp will address the issue well. Don't forget Stihl followed huskies design laying back the cylinder but when the 5 series first came out this idea was new in the chainsaw world. The 5 series was far from boring with a lot of first time features on it that were not tested by the market. Its a shame such a clever saw will be remembered by a minor fault but that's how it is. I am not a Husky fan boy I only own a 550xp & 555 out of 30+ish saws. Even today try finding a physically smaller 50cc saw than a 60cc 555/562....not an easy ask.

Only downside I can see is rain dripping into the saw (we get lots of rain here).
Not sure if a couple of holes under the lip instead of above it might work as well.
My cover is going to start looking like Swiss cheese.

Thanks for the idea.

I think the heat from the cylinder isn’t getting cooled quick enough. It’s too sealed. You need cooling holes near the cylinder area. Attack the heat at the source.

I think they angled the cylinder and changed nothing on the flywheel for air flow. Now apply this saw to meet emission standards they need to run hot. Think about it some cars in the 70’s were operating at 205 degrees. The answer to meet emission standards is lean them and run them hot.

Looks like the better heat shield will work. But more holes near the flywheel should increase the air flow.

Or the flow off of the flywheel is insufficient.

I have a suggestion. With the saw running feel around the holes on the back of the cover, you should feel some air actually coming out, if their is a vacuum, than the air injection system isn't up to snuff.
We were talking about this on one of my threads last August. The shop gave moondoggie another cap with a hole in it and that cured the problem. He said it feels like its sucking air in when he puts his hand there.

Question on the top cover is there baffles on the inside to guide the air from the flywheel into the cylinder fins? Since the cylinder is slanted does the air get forced to the cylinder fins or does it find its own path?

In my test lab we had environmental test chambers were we could do heat tests and rain/water tests. In a heat test the vapor lock would show up right away. I can’t believe that Husqvarna put out a untested product.

I’m looking for a saw this size too.

Latest posts

Back