562xp small particulets getting past air filters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subieman406

Saw ID10T site lurker
Reaction score
So was over doing some cutting at a familys house today on a tree not sure what kind and got it dropped and bucked the tree up and did a little inspection on the saw and air filter just to see how it was doing and found tinny little sawdust debris powder in the intake from air filter to carburetor this would mean something is getting past the air filter tried a different filter and still same thing

I was wondering if anyone has noticed this and what they might have done to prevent this from happening
post the few pic I do have of the tree but nothing on the debris found in the intake will have to do more cutting to get them again don't want to run it till I get this solved or figured out

Attachments

• post pic.jpg
    post pic.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 70
found the same thing on my 562. My solution was to use a small bar nose grease gun to run a thin bead of grease into the slot of the air filter where is slides onto the black plastic carb boot. I even went a little farther and used blue rtv silicon (the kind that sets up soft and is removeable) to seal the two air filter halves. I bought 2 more of the flocked air filters and did this to both of them. I usually run the filter for a couple weeks, using a toothbrush to clean off the outside. Then swap out for a new clean one. It's not hard to pull the halves apart, clean off the old blue rtv, wash in warm soapy water, then seal 'em back up. This is probably way overkill, but since I've started doing this, NOTHING gets past my filters.

I was thinking about somthing like that. and yeah only got about 15 tanks of fuel thru this saw and would like to keep it in tip top if you know what I mean. I pulled the plug and the muffler as well this morning and no obvious signs of damage so I think I caught it in time but want to prevent this from happening again and I used carb cleaner and lite air to clean the filters. also took sea foam and sprayed the heck out of the intake past the carb and worked that around in the saw and drained as much as I could out to clean it out of the CC and crankcase got some out and I hope I can run a little richer fuel thru it to clean it out a bit more if I missed anything

what type of wood is birch I mostly turn wrenches on saws and I only cut pine to heat my home not up to par on tree Identity is it soft of hard or something in between my 24" bar with new chain had some trouble getting a bit into this wood and would through really fine chips with a new chain thought I dulled it but when I took to a limb on a cotton wood it tore right through it thinking the factory chain just sucks but want to make sure will be getting a stihl rcs chain for it at some point

White and gray birches in the northeast are lower BTU wood - comparable to black cherry and red maple - but definitely better than white pine here. Northern white birches are much better for BTU (e.g. alaska) - shorter growing season seems to produce tighter growth = more dense. Not all birches are born equal - yellow birch approximately white ash for BTU and black birch is a high BTU wood - comparable to red oak and sugar maple here. Cheers!

nice that's good to know. well this one was alive for about 18 years or longer been there since we owned the house in north central Montana and was pretty slow going compared to the pine Im used to in the cuts thanks for the info on that
just used the blue rtv on the air filter halves and I used some marine grade grease and ran a lite bead around the intake boot hope this takes care of the debris issue love the saw don't want to kill it early off

Nice wood, sweet deal!

According to AS, the husqies have better air filtration so you've got nothing to worry about. :D

Yup, the filter does not seal well enough. I thought it was the filter at first and I bought a flocked filter rather than the white mesh. It turns out the culprit is the filter does not seal tight enough. The grease idea inside the lip is a good one. The 562 I just traded had enough debris in the throat past the filter it amounted to the size of a Q tip when I removed it. That was with cutting about 25 cord with it.

whats up sunfish and I now a little bit dosnt hurt it much but ive seen some saws from landowners that looked like they used there old sock to filter the air and had really bad abrasive ingestions saw ran just not well so that's is what im basing my know how off of and don't want to have something like that happen so that's why im on this subject this morning and the grease around the boot should solve the problem on this saw
and I was getting about 2-3 cue tips just out of the intake boot so I was a little nervous seeing that but all is well cleaned it out and greased it and sealed the filter more too should solve it

and you would think as much design as they have in these 5 series saws they would have noticed this and addressed this issure before they sent them out to the public or this is just a issue on select saws that just seem to be indifferent either way easy fix

Yes, easy fix and recommended. I think some saws may be worse than others. I have one 346 that as very little dust in the intake ever & another that gets a fair bit in there.

its got to be just the certain saws than that have these kinds of issues then not all. my 445 and my 55 that I once had hardly every had debris down in the intake boot but this 562 seems to love to suck it past the filter and I already greased it up and also ran a small bead of rtv around the filter halfs to so like log sawyer74 said a bit over kill but hell I would rather be safer then sorry.
so this saw ran great thru this tree but the chain was having issues getting a bit on this tree what chain would you recommend for the northern birch and harder wood just so I can grab a loop of it and just have it for the tuff stuff that I cut maybe once in a 2 year span opinions are always welcomed form the members on this site
right know I run the stock husky chain for the 24"bar and the Oregon 20"bar I have runs the lpx both 3/8

LPX is good for almost every kind of wood and should work fine on that wood. Key to to keep it Sharp!

Personally I use and like semi chisel (72DP) much better! Stays sharp longer for me.

yeah the husky chain wasn't doing good at all and the lpx was the only one I had that would cut it decent enough just looking for thoughts and opions thanks I will probly step up the chain on the 24"bar to lpx today or sometime here soon and the husky chain was new and the lpx was used and not as sharp as I could have had it and still out cut the husky chain

yeah the husky chain wasn't doing good at all and the lpx was the only one I had that would cut it decent enough just looking for thoughts and opions thanks I will probly step up the chain on the 24"bar to lpx today or sometime here soon and the husky chain was new and the lpx was used and not as sharp as I could have had it and still out cut the husky chain
FYI: Husky chain is Oregon chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so why dose the LPX cut better in the birch I was cutting then the stock husky chain. ????
and no ms180 here ive worked on one but I haven't modified one at all so???

so why dose the LPX cut better in the birch I was cutting then the stock husky chain. ????
and no ms180 here ive worked on one but I haven't modified one at all so???
It was probably junk safety chain and LPX is good chain.

The 180 comment wasn't to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back