562xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfireman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I see them come up a lot, seems more people love than hate them, maybe i am just paying closer attention to them, i have one and i love it, I bought it as a truck saw, but it gets brought along most of the time i am in the woods. I don't use it for everything but it sure acts like it would love a 24” bar, it is my small saw so i have resisted that urge, there is discussion about not trusting them, and a few who plain don't like them. What are the whys and hows of feelings towards the 562?

I don’t trust mine for two reasons: #1 it had a little carb issue when it was new, but that has been fixed, and #2 is I’ve heard they (were?) prone to lean seizing. That being said, it cuts fast, is pretty light, and it has plenty of power. I still use it, but I worry a bit while I use it. Once it doesn’t seem so new, I’ll probably try some of the proven mods (muffler job, heat tape, remove air injection, mkii intake), but not just yet.

El44&el46 carb saws had some problems. El48-55a saws changed that. Also started out with 5 bolt case, went to 6 bolt. They will pull and oil a 24" bar.

The 562xp went through some revisions during its years. Some think that it wasn’t fully developed when it was first released, but most products get fixed as they go along. I have an EL46 carb and it’s fine. The main issue is problems with hot starting. The problem is two fold : one is that a strato cylinder design does not receive as much cooling by fuel wash, since unburned exhaust gets chased out by clean air. The second is that heat from the cylinder soaks into the carb box area and evaporates fuel in the rubber hose to the carb, and/or in the carb itself. This occurs after using the saw for a bit and letting it sit for a while. When you go to start the saw again, the loss of fuel in the fuel circuit means it doesn’t easily restart. If the saw is choked, it can flood. Generally it is an annoyance, but it often makes one think that for a pro saw it is faulty too often.

This frustrated users and the Husqvarna engineers. To that end, several changes were introduced to mediate the problem.
- the top cover received an added hole to vent heat out from above the cylinder.
- the carb went through some revisions that changed the jet sizes.
- the fuel pickup hose was shortened.

The problem can also be ameliorated by gutting the internal muffler baffles so heat escapes more quickly, and/or adding thermal tape to the carb box wall.

There are other issues, such as the oil leaking from the early 5-bolt cases, so they were upgraded to a 6-bolt design. Also the air filter does not seal so well against fines in very dry cutting conditions.

But in general the saw is very good.

The 562xp went through some revisions during its years. Some think that it wasn’t fully developed when it was first released, but most products get fixed as they go along. I have an EL46 carb and it’s fine. The main issue is problems with hot starting. The problem is two fold : one is that a strato cylinder design does not receive as much cooling by fuel wash, since unburned exhaust gets chased out by clean air. The second is that heat from the cylinder soaks into the carb box area and evaporates fuel in the rubber hose to the carb, and/or in the carb itself. This occurs after using the saw for a bit and letting it sit for a while. When you go to start the saw again, the loss of fuel in the fuel circuit means it doesn’t easily restart. If the saw is choked, it can flood. Generally it is an annoyance, but it often makes one think that for a pro saw it is faulty too often.

This frustrated users and the Husqvarna engineers. To that end, several changes were introduced to mediate the problem.
- the top cover received an added hole to vent heat out from above the cylinder.
- the carb went through some revisions that changed the jet sizes.
- the fuel pickup hose was shortened.

The problem can also be ameliorated by gutting the internal muffler baffles so heat escapes more quickly, and/or adding thermal tape to the carb box wall.

There are other issues, such as the oil leaking from the early 5-bolt cases, so they were upgraded to a 6-bolt design. Also the air filter does not seal so well against fines in very dry cutting conditions.

But in general the saw is very good.
I found it difficult starting when hot until I realized it liked half throttle when warm, maybe even a shot of the primer bulb. First pull every time.

Latest posts

Back