60 bucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chowdozer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Friend of mine died a couple months ago. I knew he had this and have wanted it for a few years (or more, maybe many more) but he would never sell it. It hasn't been run in 30 years that I know of, maybe longer. My friend had been seriously overweight for the 35 years I knew him and would not have been able to exert the energy to use it. I honestly don't know why he bought it. It appeared to be locked up so his sis put $60 on it and they had a garage sale.

I couldn't go to the garage sale but told another friend to look for the Stihl, the only orange saw there. He called me. He told me it was locked up and was marked $60. I knew the deceased would not have put straight gas in it so I figured it had rusted the rings to the cylinder. It sat on my workbench for a couple weeks while I thought about the deceased before I pulled the plug to shoot some WD-40 in it. I figured I would let it sit for a couple weeks and give it a pull then. After I got the plug out, for whatever reason I pulled the cord and it spat a couple ounces of clean motor oil all over my toolbox. That would have been just like the deceased to put oil in the cylinder before he put it on the shelf 30 some years ago. So I put the plug in and checked the fuel tank. It was half full of clean motor oil too. I cleaned it up a little, took the air filter off and dribbled a little fuel in the hole. Pulled the rip cord and vroom in a cloud of smoke. I feel obligated to visit his sis and give her a little more money. For now, I will shoot a little oil in it again and put it on the shelf to keep the other army of saws company. All I really use anymore is the 460 BB. But this one was a long time in arriving and has more sentimental value than if I had aquired it 10 years ago. If I never start it again, that's ok. My curiosity as to it's condition is no more. :cheers:

ok, I don't know how to insert images anymore. lol

Last edited:
Great to have a rare and special saw from a good friend. Something that when you look at it, you think of em.
It'll be nice to see some photos when you get to cleaning it up. I've never even seen one in person.:cheers:

Sad story and sorry to hear about your friend. Nice saw for a collection though.

Now, that right there is one of the most interesting saws I've seen in a while. Sorry about your friend's death, but at least his saw went to an appropriate, I believe, new owner.

Ten years ago, my best friend died at only 51. By chance, he had just given me something he didn't use any more and I had great use for. After a decade, I never fail to think of him when I use it. I predict it'll be the same for you every time you even look at that saw. At first, it was tough to handle, some, when I used this thing, but now it is a pleasure to remember.

Except for the part about the friend dying, this is a nice story. Sure is nice when a rare saw or any with sentimental value ends up in the hands of someone who appreciates it and will take care of it.

It is evident that you were supposed to have this saw. For it to still be at the yard sale and your other friend picking it up for you. It wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes at a yard sale around here. Yep, I'm thinking your friend is looking down with a big smile on his face right now. Enjoy it!!

Sorry about your friends passing. When ever you use or look at the saw I bet you will get a little smile thinking about him.

A amazing saw to have!
Even better to have from a friend who has past!

Sorry for the lose!

Nice story. BRMorgan fished one of those out of a dumpster a while back, there's a thread somewhere.

Latest posts

Back