60 cc saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100 cord, that makes for a lot of file strokes in a year, I can see why you prefer semi chise.

The numbers will go down this year as we're just about done with the Ash.

When I say "we" my brother, son and nephew cut together as we supply boilers for three homes. I burn year round here.

I used to laugh at "little" saws or anything that didn't run at least a 20" bar and full chisel. These days I've grown to appreciate smaller fast cutting saws and round cutters. You don't loose nearly as much cutting speed as you'd think, and if the material isn't really clean you'll can go a lot further with less effort with the semi-chisel chains.

I've exploited bar length and pitch quite a bit. A strong running 50-55cc saw is just a home-run with an 18" bar in .325". They cut fast and I don't look for a bigger saw till we get into material past about 15" or so. Since we cut a lot of tops, the smaller saws get a lot of work around here.

We do get into some big wood on occasion and it's fun to get the big saws out and give em a workout..........View attachment 920991View attachment 920992View attachment 920993
Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, how big are these houses that you're heating? 33 cords per house per year, done with a manual splitter and not a processor, not a chance in hell for me. I don't have the time.

With the temperature gauges on the stove pipe and stove I can control what the burn rate is in the stove and how much heat goes up the stove pipe to keep the creosote down. I’m down to 2,5 to 3 cords per season on a normal average winter. Installing double pane windows did make a big difference. Over the 1/4” single pain Windows.

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, how big are these houses that you're heating? 33 cords per house per year, done with a manual splitter and not a processor, not a chance in hell for me. I don't have the time.
When I had a outdoor boiler I could burn that much in a sever winter year.
I always like to have 48 cord on the ground, split and stacked a going into winter.

lol not gonna lie that sounds like madness. makes my 5-6 cord a year that i do seem like nothing (but feels like a lot)...

We don't burn all of it, some gets sold, stockpiled, etc.

My house is modern construction so I'm not burning all that much here. The other houses are older farm houses and even though renovated they aren't sealed up as good.

I probably burn 8-10 cords here, the other two houses probably 15-20. We keep at least 2 years ahead at each residence. Pic of the typical pile at my house below. It's typically 6-8 rows deep so there is a LOT of wood stacked u there!
IMG_1090.JPG

I was burning skids/pallets in the fall, one fire a night took the chill off the house. Until it got colder then we would switch to bigger split wood. Lots of free pallets. I use the wornout chains and bars for cutting pallets.

When I had a outdoor boiler I could burn that much in a sever winter year.
I always like to have 48 cord on the ground, split and stacked a going into winter.
F that. Wholeheartedly, unreservedly, with all of my being, F that. 100% non starter for me. I don't even want to move that much wood. I'd be looking for more efficient heating or a more efficient house. Or both.

I burn 2-3 cords/yr and am very strongly considering switching to pellets, just because I hate the labor involved even with that little amount. I'd rather pull up the truck and have a forklift load a pallet of pellets.

Seriously, F that.

F that. Wholeheartedly, unreservedly, with all of my being, F that. 100% non starter for me. I don't even want to move that much wood. I'd be looking for more efficient heating or a more efficient house. Or both.

I burn 2-3 cords/yr and am very strongly considering switching to pellets, just because I hate the labor involved even with that little amount. I'd rather pull up the truck and have a forklift load a pallet of pellets.

Seriously, F that.
House was newer construction and efficient. The OWB was anything but efficient.

Worth mentioning that propane would cost one $600-800 per month for roughly 5 months of the year.
I could more easily afford that than the time to come up with 30+ cords of wood every year. Not happily, but doable, while 30+ cords of wood wouldn't be.

I'd put a normal wood stove inside the house.

I've got two places on cold northeast. Small one wood only 3-4 cords hardwood. The other, an early 1800s farmhouse 5-6 cords.

100 cords would be 10 years on BOTH places

100 cord...we supply boilers for three homes. I burn year round here.
That's a serious habit. If you cut firewood every weekend of every year (with two weekends off for Mother's Day and Father's Day), that's 2 cords cut every weekend. Sounds like some seriously HOT work-filled weekends in July and August. ****, I wouldn't want to have to pick up the SAWDUST left from bucking 100 cords.

Steam-engine-powered air conditioner compressors...?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I bet those gobble up a dozen cords a month in July and August alone ...
"MOOOOOOOOAR WOOD!
"
blob_fire.gif
pant pant
knary.gif
"We need another 30 gallon of premix! HURRY UP!" :chainsaw:I bet you guys are the pride of the neighborhood, informally known throughout the tri-state area as "Two Stroke Holler."

I have just one question, though: Do you sell enough firewood to at least begin to recoup the money spent on crank? Cause that's the only way in hell I could cut 2 cords of firewood in a weekend, EVERY weekend, 24/7/365 year-in and year-out from now until the end of time...seriously,, there are medicines for this

Latest posts

Back