60cc saw testing on professional grade.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M&Rtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This all started around 2012 when I really started taking chainsaw efficiency into my work day.
I really got interested in the 60cc market because of the exploding Market and variety of offerings.

So I set out a goal of purchasing and using every model I could get my hands on and cycle them through everyday professional Tree Service.

Some of my goals where to find weakness, vibes, feel, power, weight, bar oiling capabilities.

I have spent thousands of my hard earned dollars to do this. From stock saws to ported, multiple bars, handle's, borrowing and demoing saws. Even up keep on the saws has gotten expensive over the year's.

What have I tested? Well let me tell you.

Stihl
362c
362c type 2

Husqvarna
262x4
357/359
562x3

Dolmar

Echo
590/600/620p

Jonsered

Bars have been
18"-32"

Attachments

• IMG_20170930_102717527_HDR.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20170930_102735358_HDR.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 88
So what did I come up with.
Alot of folks just don't want to explore into a different platform. So i feel they up talk the brand they value. Facts are I really have enjoyed all these model's.

So let me break this down into a way that won't kill me trying to type everything I experienced.

Performance based on power
562 is a mean little saw out the box so I declare it the winner in chain speed.
The saw does take time to break in comparison to like the 620p but not as long as the 362 Stihls. I also found the el44 saws had more guys than the newest version.
Second in power I'd have a toss up of the 620p or 357 mine is very strong.

Construction/quality
I really feel all the saws hold up really well in this circumstance, but some better than other's. Winner I'd say 262xp. I've not had a single issue with one of the four I've had.

Handling

I love the feel of the 361 and 562 both brands really did a good job on this two saws. Even the wrap handles feel awesome felling or blocking tree's down. I'm very comfortable using these two saws in any circumstance. Honestly they make me feel better at my job. The Dolmar feels weird to me and I really don't like using the saw in a bucket. For felling on the ground I enjoy the 620p very much it had loads of torque and maneuvers great my hands.

Vibes
562 and 362 are the smoothest then the 620p.

Bar oiling
The 620p and 562 will oil a 28-32" bar if needed. The 357 actually oils great also. I've had issues with the Dolmar oiling a 24".

What had broken
Early 562 carb and av springs
Late 562's nothing
2260 av spring
Still 362's one carb issue on c model
Plastic handle
Nothing on the rest.
361 I've had a clutch issue and plastic crack but saw is older.
357 starter has broken twice
620p nothing newest saw
6100 clutch and side clutch cover
262xp couple bolts have come lose.
Have four though.

Filtration
I feel the 262 kinda owns this category.
Early 362's and 562 are not the best compared to the Dolmar and Echo 620. Some issues have been fixed and can be fixed though.

Weight
361 is a clear winner in this. The saw feels light and actually is light. 6100 feels the heaviest to me, the saw feels bulky and reacts the same when blocking 60ft Oaks down. 2260 is great but I like the curved handle of the 562 better. The Echo feels light in ground felling. 362c is a nice saw and really has come along ways from the original first generation. When removing large chunks I don't fatigue as fast with the 562/362c.

Price
Can't really compare used saws. 361 is expensive and costly to mod. 357 is a hard find. 562/2260 from a certain someone is $200 off msrp. 6100 I've bought for $500 new. 620p 20% off sometimes. 362 dealer had $100 or more off so $600. 262's can be had for 350 clean.

First impressions
362 takes the longest to break in
562 second
6100 third
620p
If you think you can just pick up a new 362/562 and it just shock you, it wont.
They really don't feel spunky until about the the fourth tank of fuel. Same with the 6100. 620 feels strong out of the box.
262 if you run a mahle cylinder 144 carb saw you will just wonder what the hype was. Now 87 carb, ks cylinder, dual port saw will put a smile on your face in the mist of all these new technological advanced saws.

But none are junk...

Only carb issue you had was on the Stihl, one thing that has raised an eyebrow with me is at our shop, about the only carb issues we are having is an occasional Stihl product. We take care of a few tree trimmer's equipment, and a number of local municipalities.

Some have been trying Echo for about four or five years now, and those things are like an anvil so far. They may all blow up come Monday, but nothing yet. Only problem we are seeing the occasional weedeater that gets left in the back of a truck and rained on all weekend and floods it out in a puddle of water cause the drain holes are clogged in the bed, or the water treatment plant leaves them outside again all winter, and we have to clean the dirt dobbers out of the thing, and replace any sun baked parts, such foam handle grips and so forth.

But none of it is junk, and all have adequate power and features.

One thing I wanted to mention was modding a saw for personal likings or work fields. Enhancements per say.

I quickly found that you can't just buy customisation parts for every model.

Start with the Echo
Wrap handle is about the only upgrade available.
Stihl 361 or 362 wrap handle and felling spikes can be found, also mufflers and a base plate could be had. Larger clutch covers available.
562 same as the Stihl. Shoot three minutes I found three different felling spikes, wrap handle, low top and high top covers, multiple bars, lightweight and air filters.
6100 a wrap was about it.
357 well one set of spikes and muffler and sliver 346 clutch cover.
262 found a wrap (rare) and felling spikes, clutch cover's, dual port mufflers.
Just personal touches but make me enjoy the saws more.

Tried to get my hands on one and always fell through. Just left me feeling like if I couldn't than nobody really could keep one going on a daily work crew.
If I was on your side of the pond, I would even send you mine to use a little. Then again on second thought, you might like it just a well as me...

If I was on your side of the pond, I would even send you mine to use a little. Then again on second thought, you might like it just a well as me...

I would enjoy trying one out. I've seen Oleo Mac has a newer updated version across the pond.

Thanks for sharing. We all have our favorites but it's always good to see and unbiased and honest review. I've always felt it comes down to the model more than manufacturer. Too many good saws being made to be brand-blinded.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Do you use your 6400 at all?
No not really. I've had it on the bench sometime waiting for a 7900 top end. I've thought about doing a test on it's class but it would involve me buying.
Echo 670/680
Stihl 038
Husqvarna 365 special
Solo 665
Jonsered 670, 2165
Efco 6500

Back