60cc’s. Ultimate firewood saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballisticdoughnut

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hear me out here. For a all around firewood saw I’ve been really enjoying the 60cc saws. Recently finished resurrecting a jred 630 I picked up for a little over $100 dollars. It did take some work but I had most of the parts on hand. Went through it with a fine tooth comb, it got everything it needed to bring it up to new saw reliability. It will run a 20 inch bar with 33RS chain in hard or soft wood at a speed that I feel is acceptable factoring in time and fuel consumption. Yes there are times when a bigger saw is needed but for the average firewood man a 60cc saw will do the job and do it well. What say you?
IMG_0264.jpegIMG_0263.jpegIMG_0262.jpeg

Agreed, an 034S was my one saw plan for well over a decade. At one point I was supplying three households with firewood. Took apart two 6' diameter cottonwoods with that saw.

Ideal for all jobs? No. Good enough for most jobs? Yes.
It’s a lovely model 018E90B2-9565-44D5-ACD0-2F2A17ADF3BF.jpeg

Hear me out here. For a all around firewood saw I’ve been really enjoying the 60cc saws. Recently finished resurrecting a jred 630 I picked up for a little over $100 dollars. It did take some work but I had most of the parts on hand. Went through it with a fine tooth comb, it got everything it needed to bring it up to new saw reliability. It will run a 20 inch bar with 33RS chain in hard or soft wood at a speed that I feel is acceptable factoring in time and fuel consumption. Yes there are times when a bigger saw is needed but for the average firewood man a 60cc saw will do the job and do it well. What say you?
View attachment 1101147View attachment 1101148View attachment 1101149

There is a reason I own 4 of this model of saw- they are near on perfect for what you say and as you explain it. If you are not in it for a dollars per hour deal- darn near the ideal saw and a nicer saw to use that any of the same era Stihl variants.
For the average guy that is not a pro logger, not some kind of saw freak with a dozen or 20 saws to choose from, a 60-65cc saw as a firewood getter is going to be damn near ideal for a single saw plan.

I do love my 1985 61, It was my first ever 60cc class saw I picked up, great torque and power for a firewood getter, she’s almost too pretty to run 😂🤘🏼 View attachment 1101245
None of my saws look that pretty, lol. I clean off the major crud after cutting but never get them that clean :p

None of my saws look that pretty, lol. I clean off the major crud after cutting but never get them that clean :p
Yeah my 630 is kinda filthy right now. I blow it off with compressed air after use. Gets the bigger loose stuff but it’s got a coat of fine chips and bar oil. No big deal, keeps the rust and corrosion in check.

I did just put a brand spankin new bar on her in this picture lol, and to be honest it wasn’t that dirty when I got it so I never really touched anything much cleaning wise but the top cover! Haven’t gotten a good chance to run my new bar yet, but have some stuff to chop up soon so I’ll probably test her out then.
Then next up on the bench is my 266xp project soon as I receives some parts 🤘🏼

I agree, 60cc has way been my go to after a flirt with 45-50 cc saws that just never got it done quickly. Still have my trusty ported 359 husqy around for a back up. Doesn't have the snot the 562xp did, and no where near close to the 400cm, but it cut a lot of wood. When I was shopping for new saws and I demoed the 562xp I couldn't believe it was a 60cc saw. I was sold on the spot. Stihl didn't have anything to compare at the time. 2 years later I got a 390xp as my big saw... then cad set in. Go to is still 60cc class saws for most of what I deal with.

Its takes so damn long and more work cutting a 20" tree with a 20" bar. The same tree is cut easier and more workable witha 28-32"

Limbing lessback bending bucking standing up more fun with longer bars that are mounted on saws that handle them
True. If I’m cutting anything that size or bigger I run my 7900 or 038 mag with 28” Stihl light bar. Smaller stuff like 12-18” I been running my 630 with a 20” bar. My back isn’t the greatest but it’s not bad enough that I can’t bend over to make a few cuts. Mostly I’ll squat down rather than bend my back anyway.

View attachment 1101147View attachment 1101148View attachment 1101149
That's a purdy one.. Even has the original filler caps.. My 630 is my go to all the time.. If you want to sell it sometime,, msg me please.

Its takes so damn long and more work cutting a 20" tree with a 20" bar. The same tree is cut easier and more workable witha 28-32"

Limbing lessback bending bucking standing up more fun with longer bars that are mounted on saws that handle them

There's a reason when I went to get another saw, it was a 500i with a 28" bar.

Latest posts

Back