60cc’s. Ultimate firewood saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you asking for it ?
$425 plus freight. I might have some extra pts to throw in…have to look.
20” bar/chain, I think I have an extra one.
I bought it from a friend who didn’t want to rebuild it.
it runs great, once it warms up, just not comfortable for me after my MM 461 and 500i 🤪. But, I tried a 24” bar, comp chain and 7t rim sprocket so it was pretty slow. I cut up a 30” diameter black locust log, no problem…just slow. It would do much better with a 20” and 8t.
muffler modded to a dual port. Carb rebuilt, new air filter and nos oe cover(s) regular and cold weather.

Hear me out here. For a all around firewood saw I’ve been really enjoying the 60cc saws. Recently finished resurrecting a jred 630 I picked up for a little over $100 dollars. It did take some work but I had most of the parts on hand. Went through it with a fine tooth comb, it got everything it needed to bring it up to new saw reliability. It will run a 20 inch bar with 33RS chain in hard or soft wood at a speed that I feel is acceptable factoring in time and fuel consumption. Yes there are times when a bigger saw is needed but for the average firewood man a 60cc saw will do the job and do it well. What say you?
I have had several saws over the years. But my go-to saw now if a Stihl MS500i. I would not want to go back to a 60 cc saw. The power is fun, and it is less work on my part.

The 034S/036/MS360/MS361 are my favorite saws to use. I run 18 inch bars with .325 chain so they are "over kill", but that just means I can run a 9 pin rim and drop my drag links a little more to take advantage of the available power. I like the 026 family for lighter work, and as I get older I'll probably add a 261 to my collection and start using it more due to its lighter weight. I've never run an M362, but I've heard they are a step back from the 361. If so, the increased performance of the 261 would make it hard to justify owning a 362. All of that being said, over time, I think the 400i will make Stihl's 360 family of saws obsolete.

The 034S/036/MS360/MS361 are my favorite saws to use. I run 18 inch bars with .325 chain so they are "over kill", but that just means I can run a 9 pin rim and drop my drag links a little more to take advantage of the available power. I like the 026 family for lighter work, and as I get older I'll probably add a 261 to my collection and start using it more due to its lighter weight. I've never run an M362, but I've heard they are a step back from the 361. If so, the increased performance of the 261 would make it hard to justify owning a 362. All of that being said, over time, I think the 400i will make Stihl's 360 family of saws obsolete.

The 362 feels like picking up a fat box compared to a 036/361.

True. If I’m cutting anything that size or bigger I run my 7900 or 038 mag with 28” Stihl light bar. Smaller stuff like 12-18” I been running my 630 with a 20” bar. My back isn’t the greatest but it’s not bad enough that I can’t bend over to make a few cuts. Mostly I’ll squat down rather than bend my back anyway.
I have also gone to squatting, or even sometimes on my knees. The bending over is the roughest part of bucking firewood for me.

I don'
One of the finest saws in my opinion is the MS361, which might be a little bit fancy for firewood duty ?, but non the less ,a wonderful saw to use all day.

The 361 is the best saw ever, IMHO. I have 4 in storage for the day they ban 2 stroke equipment.

I just don't like to tell a lot of people so the prices won't skyrocket.

Need to get this thing in some wood. Put it together a while back from parts I had on hand. 162 top end, HS224 carb, non baffled “XP” muffler. New seals, o-rings, piston rings, gaskets, carb kit, hoses, filters, AV mounts, the list goes on. All OEM. Problem I have is I spend more time fixing other people’s equipment than I do running my own. Not enough hours in a day.
IMG_0286.jpegIMG_0287.jpeg

I'm thinking, and that could be dangerous...

I cut firewood as a secondary source of heat, maybe one or two cords a year. I use an MS271 for this. I have been wondering if a larger saw, maybe in the 60cc range, might be more comfortable and more efficient...

Any thoughts on this? Getting a fifth saw won't be a problem for me.

I'm thinking, and that could be dangerous...

I cut firewood as a secondary source of heat, maybe one or two cords a year. I use an MS271 for this. I have been wondering if a larger saw, maybe in the 60cc range, might be more comfortable and more efficient...

Any thoughts on this? Getting a fifth saw won't be a problem for me.
Your MS271 weighs almost as much as a 400i. You're getting 3.5 hp, which is the same as an older 026 that weighs noticeably less, and is less than a new MS261 (4.0 hp). The 400i produces 5.4 hp. You just have to decide how you want to spend your money. I can't really afford a brand new Stihl, especially a 400i, but if I were running a 271 I'd find a used 026/260, or even try a Chinese G266 and sell the MS271 to fund most of it. That said, for 2 cords a year, it's hard to justify spending much money if the saw you have is in good running order.

Your MS271 weighs almost as much as a 400i. You're getting 3.5 hp, which is the same as an older 026 that weighs noticeably less, and is less than a new MS261 (4.0 hp). The 400i produces 5.4 hp. You just have to decide how you want to spend your money. I can't really afford a brand new Stihl, especially a 400i, but if I were running a 271 I'd find a used 026/260, or even try a Chinese Ms266 and sell the MS271 to fund most of it. That said, for 2 cords a year, it's hard to justify spending much money if the saw you have is in good running order.

A 400 is m-tronic not injected, there is no such thing as a 400i.

A 400 is m-tronic not injected, there is no such thing as a 400i.
Good point. I had associated the naming convention with the 500i and assumed that the 400 was also fuel injected. Since the saw is out of my price range, I haven't bothered to learn much about it other than that it would make a heck of a nice firewood saw.

Latest posts

Back